Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel Lightening
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
groot
I didn't format the pictures properly to post them here, but here's a link to check out.

The first pic is a "normal" flywheel and the 2nd is what I found when I separated my trans from my engine. I knew it was lightened, but holy sh#@!

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~kgroot/

The other pics are me trying to decide whether to go with a low front hoop or a high front hoop. Due to visibility, I'm going with a high front hoop cage.
tat2dphreak
DUDE, that thing is scary! that can't be enough metal there to stay safe!
skline
The first 914 I had I built a 2056 and had the flywheel lightened to 11 pounds. It was running 45 Dells with a Web 86B cam and lifters, It revved so quick that the front fan and hub spun right off the crank several times till it finally ruined the crank. I guess that is why Rimco wont go less than 14 pounds now. You cant lighten the fan.
groot
I drove it that way for quite a while. My uncle put the car together in San Fran. I drove it to LA in '99 and drove it regularly there, then moved it to MI. It drove out to LA from MI and then was shipped back here, where I auto-xed it often. No problems with the flywheel... or bearings.
machina
QUOTE(skline @ May 20 2004, 11:17 AM)
You cant lighten the fan.

don't tell paul that.

dr
MattR
QUOTE(skline @ May 20 2004, 07:17 AM)
...I guess that is why Rimco wont go less than 14 pounds now...

Rimco suggested I go with 12 pounds last week! ohmy.gif

I have a 12 pound flywheel now. I guess I have to go easy on the revs.
Mueller
DUDE, that thing is scary! that can't be enough metal there to stay safe!

that is where you want to remove the weight...the problem is not whether or not it's going to scatter at while at 5000 rpm, the issues are that they tend to break while trying to start the engine due the compression of the engine....a few options to make starting easier would be to have a valve that opened to reduce the compression while starting or you have an electronic device to change the timming so that the motor starts easier
(an engine would start easier if fired @ 5° ATDC than 5° BTDC)
TimT
I wouldnt worry to much about that flywheel... if its survived as long as it has it should be fine..

Heres how the factory lightened the cup type flywheel..
TimT
this is how I lightened the disc flywheel for my 911
URY914
This is my kind of topic. biggrin.gif

Paul
Jake Raby
12 pounds is my standard... I have gone to 8, and one to 6!!

If you were losing front hubs, the hub had a bad morse taper!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.