Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many Fuchs are there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I am starting to look for 15X6 5-lug FUCHS wheels for my 914. Are there different variations in offsets in that size? If so, which variation should I be looking for? Or are all 15X6 Fuchs the same?
JWest
There are 2 types (and a variation) of 15x6 that I know of.

1)Standard 15x6.

2)Deep dish 15x6 that looks cooler because the outer rim is cut in to make it look wider. These are more desirable and more $$.

3)A variation on the above (one or both) for use with tubed tires OR with safety bead for use with tubeless tires.
horizontally-opposed
Second the above, and thankful we're not getting into 16-inch variations!

Only thing: Don't forget to look out for Fachs! Seen the replicas break and it ain't pretty.

pete
JWest
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 20 2004, 03:50 PM)
Don't forget to look out for Fachs!

Fachs! That's funny biggrin.gif
machina
here are part numbers, offsets, weights, etc...

dr

http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/WheelWts.html
thomasotten
I went to that site and it said this:

901.361.012.06 (early); aka the deep dish version*
* Early wheel (w/o safety bead) may be lighter)
911.361.020.10 (late)

Could this be correct? It doesn't seem intuitive that the early ones are the deep dish and the late ones are not. By the way, which ones came factory on the 914/6? The deep dish?
anthony
The high buck wheels are the 15x7 911R wheels that will fit under stock 914 fenders. They cost thousands so only someone making an 911 RS clone would want them.

All 15x6 Fuchs have the same backspacing and fit the same on a 914.

What's the difference between a "deep dish" 6x15 and a regular 6x15 if they have the same backspacing and offset?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(thomasotten @ May 20 2004, 03:47 PM)
901.361.012.06 (early); aka the deep dish version*
* Early wheel (w/o safety bead) may be lighter)
911.361.020.10 (late)

Could this be correct? It doesn't seem intuitive that the early ones are the deep dish and the late ones are not. By the way, which ones came factory on the 914/6?

[counter-]intuitive or not, that is correct.

the optional wheel on the 914.6 was the *14x5,5* Fuchs.
some were delivered (at least to the customer) with the 15x5.5" Mahle "gas burner" alloys.

BTW - the real Fuchs fatigue and fail too - but it usually takes a lot of racing miles for that to happen - happened just this past weekend to a guy with a 356 in a PCA Club Race at Mid-Ohio.

yes - the v-e-r-y rare (and expensive) small-offset 7x15 wheel is in the $1500 PER range, although they were not used on the 911RS -- just the 911R (of which very few - perhaps 20 - were made).

i just sold a set of 2 early and 2 late 15x6; despite their external visible differences, they have identical offsets and backspacing. so if you want the look of the early (901) wheel and don't mind paying for it, go for it - but they are dimensionally identical to the later "tubeless" 911 wheels...
thomasotten
Does anyone have a picture of the deep dish 6X15 versus the late 6X15 (on a car preferably). I am trying to decide which one I like best. This may go against the grain, but I much prefer the fuchs wheels that have more of a flush look to them than the ones that are really inset.

Thanks.
Porsche Rescue
The "flush" wheels are the later (and less expensive) wheels.
Introduced sometime in the '71 model year.
thomasotten
What should one expect to pay for these 15X6 flushies? Also, does anyone sell them in a refinished condition?
thomasotten
I got this quote for a set of refinished wheels. Sounds like a rip... is it?

quote:
A set of four 6x15" Factory Fuchs forged wheels, refinished to original, is $1,700.00, plus shipping. Please call us at (310) 836-8908 or e-mail us if you have any questions or would like to place an order.
Thank you, Dave - Wheel Enhancement
Joe Bob
1700???? Blow me.....

Just get some 16x6 take offs from the SC tail dragger crowd.....50-100 each. They are all going with 7s and 8s......

The 15s are getting harder to find good rubber for.
davep
Be careful with the early rims, both Fuchs and Mahle. Some were tube type and must be used with tubes. Sure the rims may be slightly lighter, but the weight of the tube offsets this. The only tubes I know of are of the same vintage, and I don't know that I would trust them after 30 years. The distinction can be seen in the designation, that is 6x15J; the J says it is a tubeless type. So if it does not say J and does not have the internal humps for the beads to seat on, then tubes must be used. For this reason, most early types are not as desireable.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mikez @ May 21 2004, 06:03 AM)
The 15s are getting harder to find good rubber for.

DOT rubber, that's quite true.

i expect Goodyear and Hoosier will continue to make slicks in 15" for a good long time, and that's a good size for the AX crowd. i just bought a set of 15" 7&8's for exactly that purpose... (although i'll probably wind up putting RA-1's on them for DE days since our AX program is pretty much dead for this year - no venues ...)
jtf914
QUOTE(thomasotten @ May 20 2004, 10:09 PM)
Does anyone have a picture of the deep dish 6X15 versus the late 6X15 (on a car preferably).

Here you go 15x6 deep dish with 195/60's:
jtf914
Another angle:
JmuRiz
Justin,
Have I told you that I hate your car yet today? biggrin.gif Hate that it's not mine. Is that a new steering wheel you have there?

To stay on topic, I have some 911 takeoff 16x6 wheels on my car, tried to stip and polish them myself, stopped at the lips, then painted the centers black. I also have sold my old 2.0 Fuchs wheels, they were black centered with polished lip and paddles.
Eric_Shea
15X6 195/50'S before the restoration...
maxwelj
So I have the "optional" 14x5.5 fuchs on my -6 (requires tubes). (I wanted a little more getup 'n go.... as if a 4.44 dif wasn't enough) Am I now out of luck finding appropriate tires and tubes? It originally had Michelin XAS's, changed later to XVSs
thomasotten
I found some of those deep dishes, but only two. What are these worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=43955
Porsche Rescue
I do not believe tubes are required on 5.5x14 Fuchs. I have them on a '72 911T with tubeless tires. The original 185x14 tires are NLA but 205/60's are pretty close. I have 205/50's but they lower the gear ratio and make the speedo about 10% fast.
Rusty
QUOTE(maxwelj @ May 22 2004, 06:47 AM)
So I have the "optional" 14x5.5 fuchs on my -6 (requires tubes). (I wanted a little more getup 'n go.... as if a 4.44 dif wasn't enough) Am I now out of luck finding appropriate tires and tubes? It originally had Michelin XAS's, changed later to XVSs

Jim's correct. The stock 14x5.5 Fuchs wheels didn't require tubes.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Eric_Shea
agree.gif No tubes required.
maxwelj
perhaps then it was the tires that required tubes, not the wheels. How can I tell if the wheels are tubeless?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(maxwelj @ May 22 2004, 01:00 PM)
How can I tell if the wheels are tubeless?

901 part number
Porsche Rescue
I believe the early 901 wheels did not have a "safety bead" which better kept the tire on the rim in case of a blowout-type air loss. The early wheels will still accept a tubeless tire.
I think the later wheels with the safety bead are marked with a "J", as "6Jx15".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.