Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine weights?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Anyone on the board know how much the following 6 cylinder engines weigh?

Thanks,

Bill P.
machina
if your talking about short blocks I think the weights would be very close.

If you think in terms of long blocks and even later style induction and exhaust, than that changes the equation.

dr
Mueller
the 3.6 does have two different intake assemblies..the plastic one is lighter and in more demand for the weight conscious such as yourself
nine14cats
Weights for the different engines as if they were sitting in my car ready to go out on the track.... smile.gif

Always planning ahead.... laugh.gif

Bill P.
machina
if the intake and exhaust are the same then the motor weights will be very close.

what you will have to consider is the ancillary equipment that bigger motors demand.

oil coolers get bigger, fuel cels need to be bigger, etc. maybe the drysump tank on a fully built 3.8 would be bigger than on a 2.7.

I don't think there is a clear answer since there are so many variables.

dr
Randal
Bill,

A hot 2.7 from Jake would weigh 150lbs+ less than a 6!
nine14cats
Hi Randal!

You gotta put one of those in your car! But I'm a 6 guy now and I'm not going back. Besides...I think the 6 cyl motors will be better chasing down the Zoomy 911's on the track laugh.gif

Bill P.
soloracer
Wouldn't the right question to ask be which engine has a better power to weight ratio? IE: a 2.7 may be lighter than the other two but the increase in power more than offsets the weight gain.
soloracer
Unless of course the weight gain was significant enough to affect your handling adversely.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.