Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ignition options with f.i. d-jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Having trouble with rough idle, thinking of trying out other ignition, but I have to have the injector trigger points to fire the injectors right? Or is there anything that would replace that as well as the points and condenser? (I know some would change to carbs- but that would be an expensive step. I already have new injectors etc. And I really like how it runs when it runs good.
75 2.0 d-jet without a decel valve.
Phil
sww914
The ignition is largely separate from the injection. As you know, the distributor has the trigger points inside but that's most of where they physically come together. You can add almost any aftermarket ignition that you want except for the distributor. MSD, Pertronix, or Crane Cams have electronic modules that fit in these distributors and they all make control boxes that sit outside somewhere if you want that too. With the FI you don't want to change the advance curve anyway. Before you start changing expensive components you should always check the basics, the stuff that every engine has. Adjust the valves, do a compression test, check the spark plugs, test the spark plug wires, test the fuel pressure, check the fuel filter, check for vacuum leaks, check the wiring to the coil, inspect the distributor cap & rotor etc. It is easy to create a FI gremlin in your head only to find later that the whole problem was that the valves needed to be adjusted.
I know of one guy who replaced his whole wiring harness and the problem turned out to be a broken center electrode in his distributor cap. I told him to check the basics first.
r_towle
with a rough idle, consider doing some maintenance to the car to start.

clean TPS
clean and regrease distributor advance plates
test for vacuum leaks at the Decel valve and the distributor advance canister.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.