Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler hanger needed!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
The more I dig into this car, the more parts I find that are missing. Right now the exhaust is just flopping around under the car, without anything holding it up other than the heat exchangers. I'm thinking that can't be good for the heat exchangers or studs.

So, does anybody have an extra hanger laying around in decent shape? The car is a 1974 2.0L.

Thanks,
tat2dphreak
I have an extra 1.7 hanger... sad.gif

btw, I'm only saying this b/c I got scolded for it, but I think we're supposed to use the "parts wanted" section of the classifieds wink.gif

j/k, I don't give a fuck!
mike_the_man
Whats the difference between the 1.7 and 2.0 hangers? Could the 1.7 be made to work? I suppose I should put this in the "parts wanted" section, but I don't think it gets very much traffic, and I'd like the hanger as soon as possible. If somebody wants to spank me, they are welcome! spank.gif Although I might enjoy it!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(mike_the_man @ May 20 2004, 02:55 PM)
Whats the difference between the 1.7 and 2.0 hangers? Could the 1.7 be made to work? I suppose I should put this in the "parts wanted" section, but I don't think it gets very much traffic, and I'd like the hanger as soon as possible. If somebody wants to spank me, they are welcome! spank.gif Although I might enjoy it!

I think the 1.7/8 hanger will only work if you don't have 2.0 H/Es and muffler...

I have some 1.7 H/Es extra too laugh.gif
mike_the_man
Bump! Somebody, anybody??? Or is this a conspiracy against me because I didn't post this in the "Parts Wanted" section? ohmy.gif
Mueller
if you cannot find one, I'd fabricate something before it's too late sad.gif

if you have access to a welder, it's not that big of deal to weld on a few tabs to make the 1.7 or 1.8 hangers work.
TheCabinetmaker
I worked on a car recently that someone had used two pieces of 1/2" X 1" metal "C" channel, of a 16 or so gauge, with the ends modified and holes drilled for the mountings bolts. Wasn't very pretty, but seemed to do the job. Sorry, I don't have an extra one. Should be pretty easy to make one from a piece of flat steel.
Mueller
have you tried Restoration Design? I "thought" someone said they made some.............????
Engman
Interesting thought - could a lighter one be made......Hmmmm me thinks maybe so .....

M
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Engman @ May 21 2004, 12:32 PM)
Interesting thought - could a lighter one be made......Hmmmm me thinks maybe so .....

M

Sure, why not?
Engman
Ok - Weekend project for the LE - lighter 2.0 muffler hanger design. Show you one next week.

M
mike_the_man
Ya, I was thinking about trying to fab something up. I don't have the tools (or the skills), but I have a friend who owns a welding shop. I'll make a template out of cardboard, then take it to him. How thick, or what gauge metal, should it be?
Engman
I would go with 10g steel - (.1345").

M
maf914
The various model hangar brackets are all stamped with stiffening ribs. These make a given thickness sheetmetal quite a bit stiffer than flat metal.

If your friend can weld up a tube frame hangar the cool factor will really go up! laugh.gif
mike_the_man
Does anybody happen to have a pic of the hanger. I have an idea of what they look like, but pics are good!
TheCabinetmaker
Here ya go. It's a dirty, bent, 1.7., but you get the idea. The holes are not susposed to sloted. This was someones answer to making a 1.7 fit a 2.0 I think.
94teener
I use 1/8 x 1.0 inch steel strapping from Home Depot. Cut two pieces of equal length to be crossed like an "X". Drill holes in the ends of each length of strap. Bolt the strap in the X pattern to the two bolts on the back of the tranny and the inboard bolt holes of the muffler connection joints with heat exchangers. Works like a champ. The triangulated sections of the X sections make this a very rigid muffler hanger. I have done this on several cars. One could drill a hole through the X intersection and install another bolt & nut there but, that's over kill.

Phil
mike_the_man
Phil,

That sounds like a good way to go. You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that, would you? I think I understand what you're getting at, but a pic would be helpful.
94teener
Sorry Mike,

Don't have a pic. of the X straps. But, you can do it yourself. The only tricky part is measuring the distance, cente to center, of the bolt holes in the strap ends. You have to use a jack or some support to get the assembled muffler & heat exchangers
to the appropriate distance from the tranny. Then take your measurements from the left stud on the back of the tranny to the right bolt hole of the muffler flange & visa versa. Take the average of the two measurements, cut your strapping, drill the holes and bolt it up.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.