Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear 5 lug with a 915 questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Loser_Cruiser
After reading the classics 5 lug conversion thread I have a few questions.

I'm in the process of collecting parts for my 3.6 conversion and one of the remaining pieces I need to start looking for is the rear 5 lug parts.

From my understanding I need 73 or earlier hubs and stubs but will that allow me to mate up to a 915(75 with a mechanical speedo)? Or is that just to work with a 901? Before I started reading I was hooky I could use my 75 hubs and stubs.

Thank you!
PeeGreen 914
If you are using a 915 the 5 lug swap should be easier to locate parts. Just read the 5 lug deal by Eric Shea or PM him and I am sure you will get all of your answers beerchug.gif

With the 915 it really depends on what intput shaft it will have.
Loser_Cruiser
I'll pm him, I was just wondering if there was a simple answer before I go an bug a busy man. smile.gif
brp986s
Cheap (if you have coarse spline 915 diff) - use your 914-4 axles/CVs/stubs/hubs/stubs. Not the most durable solution, but then guys hook up V8s to 901 boxes, too.

more $$ (what I did) - get some used 911 axles and have a 3/4" spacer made. Get 100mm CV and hook up to your 5 lug set up.

There are other, more expensive ways, including using custom Swayaway axles and 108mm CV, as well as a Patrick carerra axle/CV set up.

If you do Wevo the tailcone/speedo is gone. Get a later 915 side plate and do a electronic speedo conversion.
Loser_Cruiser
Thanks for your input and advice, I'll have to find out what my 915 has in the diff spline then.

I'm planning to use the bug@5speed 916 conversion but I'm going to try and wait out the horrible usd to euro currency conversion (not looking good for the near future)

When I was reading this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91963

It says you need to use early wheel hubs and axle stubs. I was just wondering since I will be running a 915 if these will be something I need to keep an out for so I can try and get a good deal or if those are only needed because the early 911's had 901's also.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Apr 29 2011, 08:41 AM) *

After reading the classics 5 lug conversion thread I have a few questions.

I'm in the process of collecting parts for my 3.6 conversion and one of the remaining pieces I need to start looking for is the rear 5 lug parts.

From my understanding I need 73 or earlier hubs and stubs but will that allow me to mate up to a 915(75 with a mechanical speedo)? Or is that just to work with a 901? Before I started reading I was hooky I could use my 75 hubs and stubs.

Thank you!

Speedo is kind of unrelated to hubs.

This is how I would do it....I did mine this way. Not the cheapest but in my opinion the best.....

Buy later hubs and stubs that are "hub centric. When they switched to hub-centric they widened the bearing but a 5mm spacer fixes that (I'm going to machine a few sets soon) . They bolt right up. Some years use 100 and some use 108mm diameter stub axles for the CV's Just make sure they match. You could even use the 100's on one side and the larger on the other if you really wanted to.

Next order some Sway-Away free floating race axles for a 914. They are the proper diameter and spline for the 911 goodies and the proper length for the 914. You won't break them even with the 3.6

Bolt it together

Good Luck
Pics of flanges are NOT hub centric (but don't need the spacer)
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Loser_Cruiser
Awesome! The only reason I mentioned the speedo was because I knew they changed the 915 over the years and I felt like it might help identify a more specific version of the 915.

When you mention later hubs an stubs are you referring to 74+?
If so I think I'll go this route as I bought a 75 3.6 911 conversion car to harvest all my parts and the more parts I can take the better my investment smile.gif

This spacer, does it sit on the outward face of the hub?
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Apr 29 2011, 03:30 PM) *

Awesome! The only reason I mentioned the speedo was because I knew they changed the 915 over the years and I felt like it might help identify a more specific version of the 915.

When you mention later hubs an stubs are you referring to 74+?
If so I think I'll go this route as I bought a 75 3.6 911 conversion car to harvest all my parts and the more parts I can take the better my investment smile.gif

This spacer, does it sit on the outward face of the hub?

Yes, they changed to "hub centric" about that time. When they did, they also machined the bearing fit wider by 5mm to accommodate bigger bearings. You simply slide a spacer over the bearing area before the bearing goes on and it works perfectly

FYI....Is that 915 a 7:31 R/P instead of the stronger 8:31? You might check that.....I think 74 was the last year of the 7:31 but count the teeth or check the case #. Preferred setup would be a mag case with a 8:31
Loser_Cruiser
Ill check the numbers out when I get back, Im away from my car for the weekend sad.gif

Is this spacer something that is available or something I would need to have machined? If you wanna make an extra set I might be interested in purchasing it from you. smile.gif

PRS914-6
Spacer...
Series9
Spacer is correct. With the exception of the bearing, my 914 has no 914 parts in the rear driveline.

911SC hubs, 911 axels, 915 tranny and an inexpensive machined spacer from Patrick Motorsports.
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Apr 29 2011, 06:21 PM) *

Spacer...

Question on the spacer.. how many mm - wide is that?

Thanks for the education smile.gif
Series9
.....inexpensive machined spacer from Patrick Motorsports.

www.patrickmotorsports.com

jaxdream
QUOTE(396 @ Apr 29 2011, 06:48 PM) *

Spacer...

Spacer is as wide as the inner bearing race on the 914 wheel bearing , the thickness is 5mm to make up for extra length of the SC hubcentric hub , also available from Patrick Mtrsprts. The SC stub that mates with the hub , if it's the 100mm /6 bolt style , then one could use 944 cvs as the early cvs had a 33 spline inner same as the 914 cv inner. Machining about 4-5 mm from where the spline ends on the inboard side of a 914 axle ( already the length that you need 20 1/4 inches long ) allows the use of the 944 cv. IIRC SirAndy did a write up on this conversion of cvs and axles , with the trans stub being from a course spline 915 transmission ( what yr mdl , I got no clue ).

Loser_Cruiser if you already have a 915 trans , check the cv size for the afore mentioned cv size , you might have the trans stub setup already . Good luck , sounds great what you have in mind.

Jack / Jaxdream
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Apr 29 2011, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Apr 29 2011, 06:48 PM) *

Spacer...

Spacer is as wide as the inner bearing race on the 914 wheel bearing , the thickness is 5mm to make up for extra length of the SC hubcentric hub , also available from Patrick Mtrsprts. The SC stub that mates with the hub , if it's the 100mm /6 bolt style , then one could use 944 cvs as the early cvs had a 33 spline inner same as the 914 cv inner. Machining about 4-5 mm from where the spline ends on the inboard side of a 914 axle ( already the length that you need 20 1/4 inches long ) allows the use of the 944 cv. IIRC SirAndy did a write up on this conversion of cvs and axles , with the trans stub being from a course spline 915 transmission ( what yr mdl , I got no clue ).

Loser_Cruiser if you already have a 915 trans , check the cv size for the afore mentioned cv size , you might have the trans stub setup already . Good luck , sounds great what you have in mind.

Jack / Jaxdream

Thank you!
Luke M
This is what I did.

915 100mm 6 bolt coarse spline trans input shafts to mate with 914 trans ( not sure years used ),100mm 944 6 bolt cv's, machine 914 axles to fit 944 cv, 911 100mm 6 bolt stub axles, and use either early/late 911 wheel hubs.
Check out the pics.
Luke M
more pics..
Luke M
914 axle machine info..
TCAlien

Spacer...

Is there a reason you can't just use the 5mm wider bearing from the 911?
jaxdream
QUOTE(TCAlien @ Apr 30 2011, 02:30 PM) *

Spacer...

The wider bearing was used in the aluminum rear arm of the 911 , not the early steel arm which used the same size bearing as the 914 , that was designed to hold securely the wider bearing which is the problem with trying to use the wider bearing in the 914 arm - no real way to secure the bearing and have the entire bearing supported without modifing the arm to do so. It is cheaper to use the 914 bearing , spacer to accomplish the use of the SC hubcentric hub unless some one wants to go through the effort of modifing the 914 arm .

Jack / Jaxdream
John
QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 1 2011, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(TCAlien @ Apr 30 2011, 02:30 PM) *

Spacer...

The wider bearing was used in the aluminum rear arm of the 911 , not the early steel arm which used the same size bearing as the 914 , that was designed to hold securely the wider bearing which is the problem with trying to use the wider bearing in the 914 arm - no real way to secure the bearing and have the entire bearing supported without modifing the arm to do so. It is cheaper to use the 914 bearing , spacer to accomplish the use of the SC hubcentric hub unless some one wants to go through the effort of modifing the 914 arm .

Jack / Jaxdream

This is PART of the answer why you can't simply use the wider 911 bearing.

The other part of the answer is that the 911 wider bearing is also larger in OD.

One would have to bore the trailing arms to accept the wider bearings, but there isn't sufficient space between the (4) retainer plate bolts to do this.

Back in the early 80s, someone (I believe Beach Boyz Racing, or George Vellios) made some castings that could be welded to 914 trailing arms that allowed use of the 911 larger and wider rear wheel bearings and also allowed 911 e-brakes. The trailing arm mods were to remove the 914 cast part and weld the new one in place. I wish someone still made those castings, but I haven't seen them in years. Unfortunately, I was far too young in the early 80s.
Eric_Shea
The simple answer is; just use all of the 911 stuff with the exception of the axles. Buy the sway-a-away axles Paul shows and you will have a better axle (distributes torque better by being free floating) and no spacers to mess with, unless you go with the hub centric and count the small 5mm spacer under the hub...
Loser_Cruiser
Im thinking I'm gonna go with the sway away axles and the small 5mm spacer. I have all the other parts and it doesn't require any machining.
JFJ914
QUOTE(TCAlien @ Apr 30 2011, 06:30 PM) *

Spacer...

The od is larger.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.