Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper Top stud replacement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Strudelwagon
Has anyone had any success in replacing broken studs on a rubber bumper top??
any how to's out there?
Thanks
Steve

underthetire
Some people have them welded, but you would need a TIG. If the pad is not on a CW car, I drilled mine and use self tapping hex head screws. Works fine.
rick 918-S
Grind the stud flat, carefully center punch it, drill a hole through the metal piece, cut the head off a bolt, JB weld it into the hole or thread it in. But if you grind the shank on the bolt so there is a knotch to prevent it from being round the JB will hold it in the rubber plenty fine. BTW: I have done this.
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 29 2011, 11:33 AM) *

Some people have them welded, but you would need a TIG. If the pad is not on a CW car, I drilled mine and use self tapping hex head screws. Works fine.

Cool guys thanks
Cheapsnake
I've replaced studs on tops where the steel reinforcing was rusted away to the point where there wasn't enough to weld to. Here's how:

Pull the remains of the old stud out and then drill a 3/4" hole into the rubber as deep as you can go without breaking through. Fill the hole with a hardening adhesive such as body putty and before it hardens, insert a 1/4" carraige bolt with a 3/8" flat washer welded to the head as far as it will go. Then before the Bondo hardens, pack the remaining hole with more body putty. Finally, cap it all off with another 3/8" washer and you'll find that it slips into a recess below the surface of the rubber. When it all hardens you'll have a very securely attached stud.

Tom
rfuerst911sc
You can also use what is called a hanger bolt. This is a bolt that has machine threads on half of it and course screw threads on the other half. Drill out the rusted bolt and apply epoxy to the coarse threads. Double nut the machine thread side and screw the course side into the rubber. Let dry and good to go. These come in different length and diameter. Hardware stores and HD/Lowes carry these.
76-914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 30 2011, 04:03 AM) *

You can also use what is called a hanger bolt. This is a bolt that has machine threads on half of it and course screw threads on the other half. Drill out the rusted bolt and apply epoxy to the coarse threads. Double nut the machine thread side and screw the course side into the rubber. Let dry and good to go. These come in different length and diameter. Hardware stores and HD/Lowes carry these.

These are more readily available as "closet screws". They are used in place of "closet bolts" to anchor the toilet to a wooden floor and are brass. They come in both 1/4" & 5/16" SAE sizes and are brass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.