Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: scratch and chip repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
what type of paint was used in the 80's on the 911?

For small paint and chip repair...something that will color match and blend nicely.
What would the painters suggest?

Not a full repaint...

Rich
RJMII
Just get a sharpie that's about the same color. That way you can get it done and over with and get back to that cool topless 914 project. poke.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 29 2011, 09:37 AM) *

For small paint and chip repair...something that will color match and blend nicely.
What would the painters suggest?

Not a full repaint...

Rich

I THINK GLasurit was used in the 80's but I'm not 100% on that. Rick would probably know. It really doesn't matter what brand you use as long as the paint mixer is worth a damn. The better paint will be a better match but in the end, 1 ounce of too much pigment will throw the match off. Since I have switched to PPG I have found their matching to be spot on
r_towle
more interested in the chemistry.
Just bought a car that has a few rock chips etc..
I dont want to paint the whole car for that...but I want to fill in the chips with paint...layers of it...
I just want the right paint.
dont want anything to lift.

Rich
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 29 2011, 03:52 PM) *

Just bought a car...

So you just bought a 911? Show us some pics.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Ferg
show us how bad it is...

I've gotten pretty good at filling chips, problem is when there are more than just a few, you are better off leaving it or respray...

r_towle
Nothing up close...I drove it till it got dark.... smile.gif

Cant wipe the smile off.

rick 918-S
Most paint stores can mix a small amount of touchup paint you can brush on. Drive the car over to the paint store. They will help you get what you need.
I'm sure Glasurit was the factory finish but you don't need to go there. Get some laquer or enamel in a touch up bottle. Don't rush into blobbing paint all over the place. Take the time to use a good wash solvent and a Q-tip in every chip first. Then do it again.

I had a customer bring in his black 911 after blobbing rock chips in with a brush. He wanted us to block and buff his hood and mirrors and save his factory finish. You could literally flick the paint blobs off with your finger nail exposing the white chalky speck of aged wax under the blob. There were so many chips we just stripped the hood and mirriors and repainting them.

BTW: Metallic colors specially light metallic colors are difficult to brush touch. They often look like dark specs. Sometimes you need to play with the color until you get it closer. Then you can sand and buff to minimize the appearance.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Spoke
Very nice.

What year? Engine? Miles?
ConeDodger
Check this out Rich. They advertise in Excellence and Pano and the Concours Weenies in SVR swear by them. Dr Color Chip

http://www.drcolorchip.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.