Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Antenna
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
It's decision time for my antenna, as I'm ready to spray my final primer coat. My original intention was to simply retain the existing hole, and fender mount one of those shorty antennas I've seen on a few cars. They're maybe 10" tall, black rubber coated, and come in either straight or swept back. A buddy told me he got his at Pep Boys, but they apparently don't offer them any longer. Can anyone recommend a source?

The reason I say "decision time" is if I go with say a windshield antenna, then now is the time to plug the hole. I'll probably get a lot of opinions on going this route, but I'm cool with the shorty one as well.

Thanks,

Andys
iamchappy
i say install a motorized antenna or remove it altogether and put a power antenna inside the car.
underthetire
Do you mean one of those rubber ducky flexible things? My car came with one and double wiper blades, straight from 1986. Get a telescoping Hirschman and just not put it up all the way.
silver74insocal
come to the G and R swap meet, i picked one up there for 5 bucks or so.
Elliot Cannon
You need a "shorty"? Come to the G&R and ask for SLITS. av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif
Mike Bellis
You will get crappy reception with that antenna. They all come straight. Driving makes them sweep back. You need 31 inches for good FM reception.

I second the power option. You will be much happier... beerchug.gif
jcambo7
Here is a picture of my antenna. I don't know where the PO got it but you can ask him. Effutuo101 is his username
Click to view attachment
andys
Originally my car had a power antenna; a portion of the top plastic insulator is broken so if I decide to go that way, I'd need to buy a new one anyway. The rubber antennas I saw on line measure about 15"; do those really have poor reception? How well do those windshield antennas work? I do live in Canyon Country which as the name implies, is in the canyons; otherwise refered to as "radio-free Canyon Country." It's not quite that bad, but even some modern car systems struggle for reception around here. BTW, aren't 914's and radios entirely exclusive of each other anyway? :-)

Andys

jcambo7
QUOTE(andys @ Apr 30 2011, 05:20 PM) *

Originally my car had a power antenna; a portion of the top plastic insulator is broken so if I decide to go that way, I'd need to buy a new one anyway. The rubber antennas I saw on line measure about 15"; do those really have poor reception? How well do those windshield antennas work? I do live in Canyon Country which as the name implies, is in the canyons; otherwise refered to as "radio-free Canyon Country." It's not quite that bad, but even some modern car systems struggle for reception around here. BTW, aren't 914's and radios entirely exclusive of each other anyway? :-)

Andys

Mine isn't a power antenna though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.