Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine groans at me...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Whenever I'm decelerating from high rpms down into the 3500-2500 range in any gear the motor makes a grumbling noises. Only thing I can say to describe it is that it sounds like VERY loose sheet metal or fan grinding. In any case I don't like it AT ALL mad.gif

McMark scared me when he says it's likely the trans warning me. unsure.gif

The car runs, shifts and behaves well. Doesn't overheat either smile.gif

Where would you start... Besides hiring an Oompa Loompa to ride in the engine compartment with a stethoscope! biggrin.gif
silver2.0
My dad's just did that, and it was the throw out bearing. Sounds odd, but it blew up shortly thereafter. Fixed it, and everythings great now. beer.gif
tat2dphreak
the oompa loompa comment almost made me spray water all over! beer.gif
Trekkor
Silver, thanks for the heads up. Sounds about right.
The noise is getting worse now. Between shifts when the engine rpm's drop, it does it there, too.

Tat-man, happy to help. ( doopity-do! ) boldblue.gif
Brad Roberts
Now that you have tranny mounts that actually hold the engine/tranny in the car... all kinds of new noises will be heard over time.

B
Trekkor
Did a little snoopin' around in the compartment today.
I found that the cold start injector is loose and some of the gasket is being drawn into the air distributor.

My mechanic ruled out the t.o. bearing as there is no vibration through the shift linkage or cable.

Also, the problem is intermittent, where a bad bearing would be always howling.

Mechanic is leaning toward a massive vacuum leak.
Squriting carb cleaner at the throttle body base and cold injector lowers the idle speed, a leak.

The sound in question is more like a low induction vibration.

I put on some new hoses and have a handful of gaskets and seal to throw at it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.