Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Period Blaupunkt, NOT Frankfurt (w/pics)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bembry
OK, as per my WTB ad, my period correct Blaupunkt Frankfurt didn't quite work out (static only). Well, I bought it as one of two about 12 years ago off the classifieds on the long gone 914 Fan Page. I think I paid like $35 total. I actually got two radios--the other being an old Blaupunkt AM/FM cassette. I have the 914 originality book (can't remember the title right now) that lists fairly accurate radios for 914s. The Blaupunkts listed are "Frankfurts" and "Emdens", and I think "Wolfsburgs". I note some 916s had Becker "Mexicos". I do know that all 914 radios were dealer added, so the 914 could have had essentially whatever--I've seen the old Motorolas installed, and some no-name decks. Anyway, I'm planning on sticking with old Blaupunkts.

What of this old cassette deck though? It's got to be fairly old, because I saw a late 70's model online that was all plastic. This one has a metal face and cassette door (the door is what has "Blaupunkt" printed on it. I also note that this is a Euro-model--FM only does to 104, and the bands (three) are named "L, M, and U". Any ideas on model? No stickers on it like my Frankfurt has to help me. What about the little extra piece? That looks like where the speaker connectors hook up to. What do you guys think?
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
rick 918-S
I don't know what it is but I get first dibs if you sell it. It would look cool in the Raspberry car.

Jeff Bowlsby may know what it is. Maybe Mercedes. And the box may be an amp and maybe a reverb unit.
bembry
Lol--not even sure it it works!

I searched around and found a Blaupunkt Bamberg from 1974-ish that seemed to be it, or pretty close. Hey--1974 sounds good enough to me! Not too many period radios with cassettes, right?

http://www.radiomuseum.org/m/blaupunkt_d_en_23~tube.html
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bembry @ Apr 29 2011, 10:50 PM) *

Don't care if it works. It tweeks the knobs of the cool factor. Nice link!
Mike Bellis
Looks like an early Mercedes radio to me. With amplifier module for stereophonic sound.
Gustl
QUOTE(bembry @ Apr 30 2011, 02:07 AM) *

I do know that all 914 radios were dealer added, ...

I know it doesn't matter, but that's not true.
There were several radios as factory option (with M-option numbers) - and they were factory installed.
But it was a rarely taken option (possibly because of the price? - some radios were more expensive than the limited slip transmission or the 5-lug Fuchs wheel set!!).

Click to view attachment

A friend from Germany ordered his 914-4 with a Blaupunkt radio. He stayed at the dealership when the car came off the trailer - fresh from the factory. And the radio as well as the antenna kit already were installed.

As for the little "appendix" that came with your radio. My guess would be an external voltage regulator to use it with 6V as well as with 12V. That was a common addition to some radios from the time that both voltage systems were used on various cars.

bembry
Wolfgang,
Great info--Those prices are some big money, especially back then!!
beech4rd
It's a Bamberg. I have the next year version of the same radio/cassette player and I've had it from new. At the time I bought mine, it was pretty much the top of the line Blaupunkt. I had mine installed in a Triumph that I owned in England. There should be a microphone with the unit. The red button on the right side is the "Record" button. When depressed, it allowed captains of industry to dictate onto cassettes for later transcription by their secretaries. I never used it, but I was able to record radio programmes from FM ("U") in England.

Chris
bembry
Wow--pretty neat little radio. I guess it was probably pretty expensive also when new. I'm going to give it a try. It wasn't what I wanted (compared with the Frankfurt) but if it works, then why not use it? I think the "face" part between the dial knobs is a bit wider than the Frankfurt, so I may have to cut my faceplate out some to fit.

I like the whole city naming convention of Blaupunkt--Bamberg is especially nice. I got some sort of drunk in that beautiful little city not too long ago!

QUOTE(beech4rd @ Apr 30 2011, 05:48 AM) *

It's a Bamberg. I have the next year version of the same radio/cassette player and I've had it from new. At the time I bought mine, it was pretty much the top of the line Blaupunkt. I had mine installed in a Triumph that I owned in England. There should be a microphone with the unit. The red button on the right side is the "Record" button. When depressed, it allowed captains of industry to dictate onto cassettes for later transcription by their secretaries. I never used it, but I was able to record radio programmes from FM ("U") in England.

Chris
Tom_T
M440 on there is the factory "radio ready" option with speakers & antenna installed at factory Brent - also another misconception that all were done by dealers, as a few weren't.

Dealers were supplied with the same kits, and Motorola made the ones for Porsche & VW under VoA's VPC division (Volkwagen of America - Volkswagen Parts Corp.) as used in 914s & VWs - & ven some 911/912E/924 guys used them. My original AM/Fm/8-Track is a Motorola made VW4412.

I'm still looking for those links for you BTW, but haven't had much time being on the road now in GA (just missed the tornadoes on Thurs. nite blink.gif ).
bembry
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 30 2011, 07:00 PM) *

M440 on there is the factory "radio ready" option with speakers & antenna installed at factory Brent - also another misconception that all were done by dealers, as a few weren't.

Dealers were supplied with the same kits, and Motorola made the ones for Porsche & VW under VoA's VPC division (Volkwagen of America - Volkswagen Parts Corp.) as used in 914s & VWs - & ven some 911/912E/924 guys used them. My original AM/Fm/8-Track is a Motorola made VW4412.

I'm still looking for those links for you BTW, but haven't had much time being on the road now in GA (just missed the tornadoes on Thurs. nite blink.gif ).

Watch out for those twisters, Tom!

I see a lot of Sapphire radios from VWs of the early 70s--did they ever make it into 914s when new?
davep
Yes, lots of Sapphire's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.