Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: two questions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
red914
first, now that i know i have to clean the oil strainer when i change oil, i find that i need to replace crush washers. could someone tell me, please, what size? how many? and where can i get them?

second, the PO used what looks like thin clothes dryer tubing for one side of the heater tubing. i'd like to replace both sides. They are long lengths; anyone know a good source? reasonable substitute?

on the plus side, a FLAPS has a guy who "speaks 914." he had the oil strainer gaskets, as well as rocker cover gaskets, in stock! the rocker cover gaskets are for the next step in my education as a 914 owner; the valve clearance adjustment. there is a great thread in the archives, where the consensus seems to be to run the clearance a bit tighter. think i'll try that...

thanks, all of you, for your everpresent support and ready supply of 914 wisdom. oh, and the humor is appreciated also! laugh.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I believe they are the same size as the drain plug crush washer. Your local p-car mech or the dealership should have them. Be sure to use a german oil filter. Mann is my preference.
rhodyguy
the crush washer will come in the bag with the gaskets. the flaps guy who speaks 914 should know that. is there even a p-car dealership on the peninsula? in tacoma try Small Car Performance or if you are in the south end (512 area) Too Quicks. these are the type of item where it pays to buy a few kits while you are there.

kevin
lmcchesney
Heater hoses are hard to find locally. They are 60mm ID. Cost runs about $20/ft. Available at PP and a few other sites. Also can be obtained from suppliers on Evilbay.
As said, local VW shops can provide the cooper sealing washers.
L. McC
red914
thanks for the good scoop. the oil strainer gaskets, btw, came in a box of two, no washers. at least now i know what i'm looking for.

the oil filter comment raises that question. a while back, Brad Roberts mentioned that the fram filters don't like the oil pressure on the TIV. he suggested, i think, mahle filters. what about K&N? i have a feeling i will be getting a good bit of this stuff online, as the driving to tacoma or whereever will be less cost effective.
TheCabinetmaker
My bad, Mahle is what I meant to say. Mann is german also, but I don't see them much anymore. Both excellent filters. I byt the whole kits locally. about 9 bucks or less I think.
red914
i have seen the gear in the tweeks catalog. may just have to go to PP and order a couple and keep them on hand, or someplace like that. if i can find the washers, i have the gaskets locally. now for the filters... and the hoses... the list goes on.
Porsche Rescue
In Portland I get the "oil change kit" (screen gaskets, crush washers and drain plug washer) at a basic import parts store that specializes in VW stuff. Standard Type IV VW kit. Costs $1.30. Look for a VW parts place in your area.
I bought some hose a few months ago on Ebay. Guy sells it for $10/foot. Good stuff. He is in Portland as well but I don't know how to find him. Search Ebay.
red914
got it. i have an idea now where to look. thanks again for all the info.
SpecialK
This is the place to get your heater duct:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/cat.php

Plus they have a HUGE free catalog (get the one for aircraft) with all kinds of goodies in it. mueba.gif
red914
ooo... there is some cool stuff there. thanks.
rhodyguy
shane, if you go to SCP they sell you a plastic bag with 2 gaskets and a crush washer in it.

kevin
red914
thanks, Kevin. and while i am in tacoma, i can pick up a box of krispy kremes... for the kids.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.