Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: First full paint job
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
So I spent yesterday spraying my friends crown vic in Jet Black. Spent the day prior sanding it down and prepping the garage (He only helped me for 2 hours...), In fact he gave me the car in black primer with a shitload of orange peal and expected me to spray over that.. I said no and that we needed to get it into 220 so it didnt look like shit. So 6 hours of sanding and this big boat was in 220 (Yes I know it really needs to get to 400, but Im not wasting my time on his car because he's to lazy to do the work).

Alas the only reason why I painted this car was because I wanted practice prior to the 914 and he wanted to save money on this paint job as he's just selling the car. Needless to say he cut corners on every step that I told him not to cut corners.

Anyways, I prepped my garage for painting, sprayed down the floors and the whole garage the day before, taped the workshop area from the spray area, and even put a paper filter over the vent (Dads idea).

So here are the pics.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

As you can see this thing was SO big I had to put the car at a severe angle just to make it fit in my garage.

Results were decent. There was a good amount of dust in the air still, but I believe most of it can be buffed out. I did make quite a bit of runs, which will be a PITA to sand and buff out, but for a first paint job I think I did pretty good. I need to work on preventing runs on vertical area's though. Im going to paint my targa top on the 914 probably next weekend to give me some more practice on painting vertically prior to stepping up to the actual car.

Spoke
Looks good from here.

Painting is fun. The prep work is not.
computers4kids
Andrew, what kind of a gun are you using?
Great practice car--that car looks like a monster in your garage. smile.gif
Andyrew
That was (checks) my dads Husky HDS590 RP0410 HVLP 1.4mm tip. It sprayed fantastic. It did put down a LOT more material than I thought it would, making the spraying alot faster than I had anticipated.

He bought it to spray some cabinets, but we know now that it was to small of a tip and he should have just bought a harbor freight 1.8mm tip bottom feeder gun. Regardless the gun sprayed beautifully!

Here are some high quality pics. Really to show the runs, but they are really obvious and quite numerous. Paint is still soft so im going to wait at least 48 hours before I cut it. I left it outside overnight (9 hours after spraying) and it got a little dusty, and im not going to wipe it off yet while its still soft. The paint is about 18hrs cured at this point.

Andyrew
img2
Andyrew
img3
Andyrew
img4
Andyrew
img5
Andyrew
img6
Andyrew
img7
Andyrew
img8
orange914
Looks nice Andrew, thanks for helping out Andy on this one. smile.gif

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.