Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a decent vw rabbit pick up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
I'm on the hunt for a decent diesel VW Rabbit pick up. I'm learning more than I really wanted to know on these things. dry.gif

One of the main things that I'm zero'd in on is finding a solid mechanical drive train. decent body, paint not a real deal breaker.

Any help finding one is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
rick 918-S
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/
orange914
thanks, Rick

Actually the water cooled 80-83 rabbit pick m' up as below example

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1079242

Diesel, 5 speed preferred
racerbvd
I have had several over the years, great trucks, better mileage than a sMART & Prieus(how ever it is spelled) and can carry more than a 6 pack of beer & you don't look like a Smug Dweeb driving one.. I think my last one had either 3 or 400K when I traded it off for a 944.. Will carry Fuchs too...
Click to view attachment

Try and find an 82 "Sport Truck", a 5 speed & a Turbo diesel, those were peppy little trucks...
orange914
QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 1 2011, 12:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Try and find an 82 "Sport Truck", a 5 speed & a Turbo diesel, those were peppy little trucks...

fact OR fiction???
I've heard the 80' had electrical issues...
I've only seen "sport trucks" in gas...???
Did they come w/ turbo option?
Is the 1.9 in the 1.6 family? bolt over?
82'... better/why?
is the LX the upper model?
beerchug.gif
jmill
There's 3 on ebay right now. The one in OR might be worth a look. Very little info on it. The others are either gold plated or a salvage title.

orange914
QUOTE(jmill @ May 1 2011, 01:05 PM) *

There's 3 on ebay right now. The one in OR might be worth a look. Very little info on it. The others are either gold plated or a salvage title.

Yup, I talked to the "flower powered" Oregon pick up. It has to be road worthy enough to drive home (one day drive). It had road worthy issues. The owner was nice enough, but one mushroom shy of a vegtable oil powered diesel.

The blue has a lot of isses, but I do have a cheap bid in on it. Cheap enough it might be worth towing home.

I have a bid in on the nice NICE one, but $8k buy it now.... screwy.gif

I've learned that part of the reason these $1500 trucks are going so high $ is because they have diesel registration/no smog check and are being bought by "tuners". They can throw any gas engine in it.

thanks
736conver
I've learned that part of the reason these $1500 trucks are going so high $ is because they have diesel registration/no smog check and are being bought by "tuners". They can throw any gas engine in it.

or it could be the fact that they get 45 to 50 mpg.

I just gassed up my rabbit diesel and I was at 52.5 mpg. Turbo diesel do even better when tuned right.
jmill
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 1 2011, 04:04 PM) *

I have a bid in on the nice NICE one, but $8k buy it now.... screwy.gif

No such thing as a $1500 diesel rabbit anymore. With gas prices sky rocketing again I wonder if this guy is just fishing for big money. He'll never get 8k but I bet bids get close to 5k.

Cap'n Krusty
Before you get all nutso on a Rabbit diesel, remember that there are essentially NO cylinder heads available anywhere, and the heads are the weak point. In most cases, high mileage cylinder heads are not rebuildable, at least by any machinist with an ounce of integrity. You might be able to fine one of the elusive 1.9 Brazilian diesel engines, although I couldn't a few years ago. Of course, you could always put an early TDi engine in it, electronics and all. Later ones have to use the instrument cluster that came with the engine, making the job somewhat more complex.

The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 1 2011, 05:48 PM) *

Before you get all nutso on a Rabbit diesel, remember that there are essentially NO cylinder heads available anywhere, and the heads are the weak point. In most cases, high mileage cylinder heads are not rebuildable, at least by any machinist with an ounce of integrity. You might be able to fine one of the elusive 1.9 Brazilian diesel engines, although I couldn't a few years ago. Of course, you could always put an early TDi engine in it, electronics and all. Later ones have to use the instrument cluster that came with the engine, making the job somewhat more complex.

The Cap'n

That crossed my mind. I know of a low mile 05' TDI that was stuffed under a truck. Too much work unless I could find a really nice pick up cheap. Probably not. I understand 04' down is less electronics...???

I'm just looking for a solid occasional driver.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 1 2011, 07:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 1 2011, 05:48 PM) *

The Cap'n

That crossed my mind. I know of a low mile 05' TDI that was stuffed under a truck. Too much work unless I could find a really nice pick up cheap. Probably not. I understand 04' down is less electronics...???

I'm just looking for a solid occasional driver.

99 down, or just maybe a 2000. The others have the immobilizer built into the instrument cluster. You may not want to make a career getting one of those puppies to work. Call the folks at BW Dismantlers in Roseville about an engine.

The Cap'n
racerbvd
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 1 2011, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 1 2011, 12:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

fact OR fiction???
I've heard the 80' had electrical issues...
I've only seen "sport trucks" in gas...???
Did they come w/ turbo option?
Is the 1.9 in the 1.6 family? bolt over?
82'... better/why?
is the LX the upper model?
beerchug.gif

Yes, but after 31 years,I woud think they have been fixed.

A buddy had a turbo diesel one in high school, it was pretty quick too....
Some did..
I have seen a lot of engine swaps in Rabbit trucks, even converted a diesel to GTI spec myself BITD..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Newest, last of the breed..
Yes.
You gotta remember, I love these old trucks and have own a few.
Click to view attachment
moparrob
Did you see this one on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Volksw...=item2eb4e03f17
orange914
Just got back from a trip to San Jose... picked up a very solid 81 diesel. I'm very happy with it's overal condition for what I need it for.

Funny thing is just minutes before I made a deal on a Very nice gas 5 speed w/ air, nice rims ect. driver. Gotta go up to seattle, but thats part of the fun.

I'll post more info/pics tomorrow.

THANKS ALL for the input I learned lot about these lil' guys

Mike
moparrob
out of curiosity, what is the cost of a nice gas pickup these days?
orange914
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 5 2011, 10:14 PM) *

out of curiosity, what is the cost of a nice gas pickup these days?

From what I've seen over the past several month's a nice gas runs around 3k and the same diesel at least 2x's that.

Most west coasters seem to be in Seattle, Oregon or So. Cal.

orange914
QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 5 2011, 09:44 AM) *

Ha! Those 1980 shorts! My wife loves black mailing me using a 1981 shorts picture
orange914
Well a quick picture of the 81' diesel I picked up yesterday. It's definately a 20 footer paint, but the interior is EXCELLENT. It drove home in 96+ degree, pulled the grades good and always ran at or just a hair over 1/2 temp. The truck has high miles but you'd never know it from the driver seat. It is just about as tight as a new vehicle.

I found a good deal on a nice gas with air that we will be bringing down from seattle soon. I think we'll drive them both awhile and ebay the loser.

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty
The electrical problems are VERY real, and are almost invariably the result of rust through on the windshield frame/cowl. Water drips, or even pours, onto the fusebox, which sits just under the left side of the cowl. The secondary issue is the fuel pump relay melting the fuse box. There's a remote setup for the relay, and one would guess they've nearly all been done.

The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 6 2011, 03:37 PM) *

The electrical problems are VERY real, and are almost invariably the result of rust through on the windshield frame/cowl. Water drips, or even pours, onto the fusebox, which sits just under the left side of the cowl. The secondary issue is the fuel pump relay melting the fuse box. There's a remote setup for the relay, and one would guess they've nearly all been done.

The Cap'n

Thats good to know, the only place I've seen any rust (minimal surface) is at the drivers widsheild cowl. No electrical issues whatsoever. What do I look for on the remote f.p. relay setup conversion?
orange914
Got most of the bugs out. New timing belt& idler, water pump/thermo, injector timed, full front & rear brakes. polished and installed the rear bumper (looking for, at least, the front euro bumper). Picked up a pre-formed new carpet and nice wood grain LX dash bezel. Still need to put these in, install a stereo and redo the sagging headliner. I'm really pleased with the interior. Sea foamed the new oil change and added it to the gas diesel also. need to give it some miles and get the injectors and rings cleaned out. This thing rides surprisingly smooth and tight.

Cap'n what do I look for on this remote fuel pump relay? Factory fix? Home wired relay @ the fuse block? 'nother question... I understand the final gear on both the 4 and the 5 speed are .71 or in some cases a taller .75. Is this accurate? Fuel economy.gov does rate the 4 speed with better m.p.g than the 5 speed. My RWD transmission mind is stuck thinking 4th gear is always 1:1... not o.d geared.

picked up some ultra light weight 13x5.5 honda 7 spoke VX rims. They still need the center bore of the rims machined out to fit . sure is ugly with the stock rims
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
racerbvd
I have a set of 6X14 MOMOs that I can trade
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I also have a set of 7X15 TSW
Click to view attachment

I may still have this big brake kit too..
Click to view attachment

Old pix..
kafermeister
Congrats on the truck. It sounds like you have found a solid example to use. Most of those around here are rusted beyond use.

As for wheels, that truck really needs some RML Snowflakes.
nsr-jamie
Man, I love those old rabbit trucks. I remember my old friend had one and he customized it like an old rabbit GTI and changed the front fenders and bumbers and lights to the round ones and that was very cool. I also remember he had a gas engine in it with some mods and it went pretty good and I used it many times in the past to transport some of my mini motorcycles for racing way back than.
orange914
thanks
I think I'll give up alittle cool factor on the wheels to attempt max. MPG. the VX honda rims are supposedly 6.5 lbs., I still have to weigh them. I really love the look of those BBS rims

would those brakes fit in the 13" rims?... hmmm....

yeah we're spoiled here in the west/south west when it comes to rust.
racerbvd
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 3 2011, 07:05 AM) *

thanks
I think I'll give up alittle cool factor on the wheels to attempt max. MPG. the VX honda rims are supposedly 6.5 lbs., I still have to weigh them. I really love the look of those BBS rims

would those brakes fit in the 13" rims?... hmmm....

yeah we're spoiled here in the west/south west when it comes to rust.

Not sure if the brakes will fit over 13" and if you are going for MPG, I would think you would want a taller rim verse smaller which will be turning higher RPMs onn your engine. Smaller wheels are like running lower gears..
Click to view attachment

I ran 13s in tight Auto-X courses, 14s for longer ones.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.