Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to find a battery drain
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I have a fairly new battery that keeps losing its charge. headbang.gif headbang.gif

It took ALL day to charge it back up. It was so dead not one dash bulb would come on.

My 914 is a '73 with FI, if that helps any. I assume there is some load on the battery even with the ignition switch off. How do I find the problem circuit.

Cheers
Kerry
SpecialK
The first thing I'd check is that the battery itself is good (internal shorted, dead cell, etc.). Most FLAPS will test batteries with a VAT for free. Then buy a little multimeter, or DC ammeter (Radio Shack). Reconnect the battery, pop open the fuse box and one by one pull the fuses and check for an amp draw (significant) across the fuse terminals. Once you've determined which circuit is messing with your battery it's just a matter of whipping out the schematic and unplugging each component in that particular circuit one at a time until the ammeter drops to zero (reconnect each component after it checks good to ensure that a loose wire doesn't ground out during testing).
Slowpoke
Disconnect the ground cable. Hook up a test light from the neg terminal on the battery and put the other end on the ground cable. You should have a light (if you have a current drain). Hang the light in the back window. Then you can see the light as you pull the fuses. When you find the circut that has the drain. You can trace the whole circut, or buy a short finder from a flaps. You can do it with a compass also, if you were a boy scout. wink.gif Diodes in the alternator will do this also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.