Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do look for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blonde914
Scott and I agreed to help a newbie check out a car in this area (he is from NY)I hope the guy who is selling the car returns my phone call over the weekend because Scott just told me he is going out of town on Monday so I may have to go at it alone. Give me a list of important things to look for and take pictures of. I will try to test drive it, I can tell how much pickup it has and how it sounds to my untrained and blond eye. unsure.gif Where specifically to look for rust or repair. I am fairly OK with the interior stuff, but I rely on Scott for the rest and he might not be there.

So what would you want me to look for and take pictures of if it was for you?

Sherry driving-girl.gif
SirAndy
the biggest rust problem is the "hell hole" ...

1st, that's the area under the battery tray (if it's still there!).
engine compartment, pass. side.

here's a pic of mine before repair. notice the missing battery tray (was rusted away):
IPB Image

2nd area is the longs, around the jack-posts.
to really check this, you need to take the rocker panel off. sad.gif
you could ask the guy to jack up the car and see if the jack-post is moving/flexing/crunching.

3rd is the floorboard behind and right in front of the seats:
IPB Image
IPB Image

as you can see in the pic, rust can be everywhere!
do the crunch test. remove the carpet and use your hand to press down on the sound-deadening tar. if it crunches, you got rust!

4th would be the rear trunk. remove the carpet and the "spungee" rubber mat (sp?) and look for rust holes:

IPB Image

5th, check the rear firewall, in the engine comp, at the bottom.
usually water stands behind the engine comp sound insulation and the firewall rusts through right there:
IPB Image

hope this helps a bit ...
driving-girl.gif Andy
morph
there is three things only to look for in a 914 to see if its a bad car ..... rust.......rust.........rust huh.gif sir andy seems to hit it on the head.everything else can be fixed or replaced, but if you can avoid body panel replacement you are much better off.
SirAndy
btw. once you got a car with rust and other issues, you need one of those:

wub.gif
IPB Image
Bigbohr
To verify for chassis damage (other than the obvious):
- Check gaps between panels.
- Take a tape measure and verify diagonals in front trunk are same.
- Repeat same exercise in the rear trunk.
- Also measure distance between top of windshield and top of roof pillar both on driver's and passenger's side, and compare.

Sorry, can't show any pictures cause I'm far from my 914.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.