Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Tranny Hoses Carry Fuel ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wheelo
Okay - the guy at the parts shop ran-out of fuel line (rubber-braided) So, he sold me tranny line,also (rubber-braided). I didn't see much difference between the two at the time. Do I have to pull them and re-do the job? My old lines were rotten, so at least I should be good for a while. Please click-on poll so I can relax and get some sleep! wacko.gif
Appreciated
SirAndy
first, let me tell you that i don't think you're an idiot!
i just liked that poll-option so much ...

me personally (and you asked for my opinion) wouldn't go there.
get something that is supposed to carry fuel.
don't take your chances unless you have a working fire-extinguisher handy!

just my opinionated 0.02 cents ...
drunk.gif Andy
rick 918-S
idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif confused24.gif
Katmanken
Coupla things bother me with transmision hose:

1. Don't know if the inner liner is compatable with gas....

2. Don't know if the hose is high pressure line- that alone could be a BIG problem if you are running EFI.

My vote would be replace the fuel lines. At the very least google for transmission hose design specs from a hose manufacturer. Look for compatability of the liner with fuel and the burst strength of the hose.

I will never forget sitting at a traffic light in Ft. Lauderdale, watching a little smoke appear from the grille of a teener. Pretty soon, foot high flames were shooting out of the grille, and a large puddle was forming under the car. The driver looked in his rear view, noticed the fire, killed the engine. The grille relase was toast. He had to open the trunk and use a crowbar to open the grille. Then the gas under the car caught fire. I didn't realize that flaming tires expand when hot and eventually burst with a loud POP. sad.gif

Two days later I was watching TV and on a West Palm Beach news show, the female reporter was walking through an auto junkyard doing her report. Behind her was a nice 914 with a burned out engine compartment. It was a different color than the one I saw go up! blink.gif

Ken
Mueller
transmission fluid is hotter, it is still a petroluem product, the lines are under more pressure than FI...the hose should be built just as well if not better.......I'm sure you do a google search on the subject to see how the two differ.
scotty
confused24.gif I dunno... all I know is aquarium tubing didn't work so good
IPB Image
wheelo
Scotty - those are some nice, "Melting Mahle's" !

Mueller - that's kind-of what I was thinking too ! Hot ATF vs. Cool Petrol should be okay.

Kwales - I will try the search as the "Poll" was thumbs down.
Thanks Guys, crest.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.