Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After market steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I put a much smaller steering wheel on my 73. It is not only smaller than the stock wheel but puts my hands closer to the dash. I keep hitting the wiper switch and starting the wipers on a dry windshield. My question is can the wiper switch be bent to a straiter shape? Or will bending it break it? Has anybody had this prob.? Any ideas? Thanks.
Cheers, Elliot beerchug.gif
campbellcj
Lame Horshack impression..."OH OH OH OH!"

Bradhole taught me a trick a few years ago; simply cut off the wiper lever to a "stub". If you are careful (I wasn't particularly) then you can round it and clean up the end so it looks stock...just shorter.

Problem solved, $0.
SirAndy
you can also get a "spacer" for your adapter that will move the wheel further out ...

i have PLENTY of space between my 350 momo and the levers ...
IPB Image
Elliot_Cannon
Now why the hell didn't I think of that. sawzall-smiley.gif I like it. Especially the $0 part. Thanks!
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot_Cannon
Thanks Andy. Another good idea. I like the wheel further away from me to accomodate my simian like arms. ( I can see a hacksaw blade in my immediate future.)
As usual. Two great answers from this board in a matter of minutes.
Cheers, Elliot
campbellcj
Yep my current wheel hub has tons of space between steering rim & levers; however, in track/autox conditions it is still possibly to hit the levers when frantically trying to keep the car going reasonably straight.

Then again, my car doesn't usually have wiper blades installed (it still has a motor), so nobody could tell if I accidentally hit the lever <_<
Curvie Roadlover
FVD-USA sells a spacer that fits between a MOMO wheel and hub for about $20. It moves the wheel about .75" closer to you (away from the wiper lever). It's also offset a bit from center so I use it to make my steering wheel a little higher when pointing straight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.