Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spotted: Original 6 at El Toro airfield..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
I was running the SCCA autocross at El Toro today, and when I went to leave I noticed a 914 parked next to Bill Schenker's pit (Nasty-fast black Miata). Despite how tired I was and how much I wanted to get outta there, I stopped to take a look, and low and behold it was a real 6! Probably a good thing nobody was around it or else I probably would've been there for another several hours. Does she belong to anybody here? It was white with a serial # in the 300s I believe.
Mark D.
mgardstr
Sorry I can't tell you who owns the 914-6 you saw at El Toro, but I CAN tell you what I saw at that same airfield in 1966. My dad was stationed there and he came and got me out of school and took me to the base to see LBJ. I was just a kid, so I was able to move through the crowd and stick my hand out as he walked by with the SS agents. He shook my hand! His hand was the size of a baseball glove!
So, a little (a lot) off topic, but you reminded me of my experience when I saw the line that said El Toro. My dad also would take me to see the cool planes they had there at that time. F4's, F8's, A4's and a bunch of old stuff that would fly in from elsewhere.
BMXerror
No problem. Cool story... My buddy saw someone get killed in an F86 there at an airshow. sad.gif
I just see a lot of really good driving there, and the occasional cool car. A beautiful Pantera, even more beautiful Lister, and now a -6. Plus all my friends are there. Fun times!
Mark D.

QUOTE(mgardstr @ May 7 2011, 07:31 PM) *

Sorry I can't tell you who owns the 914-6 you saw at El Toro, but I CAN tell you what I saw at that same airfield in 1966. My dad was stationed there and he came and got me out of school and took me to the base to see LBJ. I was just a kid, so I was able to move through the crowd and stick my hand out as he walked by with the SS agents. He shook my hand! His hand was the size of a baseball glove!
So, a little (a lot) off topic, but you reminded me of my experience when I saw the line that said El Toro. My dad also would take me to see the cool planes they had there at that time. F4's, F8's, A4's and a bunch of old stuff that would fly in from elsewhere.

J P Stein

It's a shame you didn't to drive the shitbox when it was working right.
Schenker is quick but Brit got to him on concrete at the Wendover NT.

T 1 14 Bill Schenker 1999 Mazda 10AE Miata Cal Club Re
[14] Corona Del Mar, CA MiataRodstr/ChaseCam/OSGiken/ SP
1)51.570 50.197 50.080 97.079
2)48.181 *46.999* 47.307

144 Britain Smith 1974 Porsche 914/6 Oregon Reg
[44] Hillsboro, OR Wevo/BRAG/FatCat
1)51.143 50.394 50.230 96.245.............running on 5 cyls day 1
2)46.959 *46.015* 46.153
BMXerror
Yeah, I saw that. Awesome run! I don't know what you mean by 'working right', but when I drove her she was obviously WAY more capable than I was. I was in way over my head that weekend. That's a lot of car to be driving with little over a year of autocross experience. Plus I was sick as shit that whole month! I can't imagine how much of a handful she is now.
Mark D.
J P Stein
QUOTE(BMXerror @ May 8 2011, 09:50 AM) *

Yeah, I saw that. Awesome run! I don't know what you mean by 'working right', but when I drove her she was obviously WAY more capable than I was.Mark D.

It was running on 5 cylinders sometimes but most often on 4 or so.
One bad plug wire and clogged idle jets.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.