Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: blue smoke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
soooo, for the last few days, i'm getting LOTS of blue smoke out of the exhaust when i start up the car!

barf.gif

and i mean LOTS ...

brad told me the car was puffing blue smoke on decel at the last AX but i brushed it off as minor oil-overfill (which i always do before an AX) ...

but now, the oil level is just under MAX and every time i start the car (cold) i get the blue cloud of death. enough to make me hold my breath for a few seconds cause all i see is blue.
like, LOTS of it ...

what's up? what's happening to my poor old little 1.8?
confused24.gif Andy
wheelo
Blue Smoke... = heap-big-trouble... kimo-sah-bee... ph34r.gif
Can't be good, unless it is just condensate (H2O). Will it go-away when she warms-up ?
P.S. - Thanks for taking my fuel-line challange.
SirAndy
QUOTE(wheelo @ May 22 2004, 12:03 AM)
unless it is just condensate (H2O)

nope, she smells like oil sad.gif
JeffBowlsby
O well...time for the 3.6. rolleyes.gif
Tom Perso
Valve guides or bad rings?

Check the compression and see what it does.

If it's puffing on decel, I'd lean towards loose valve guides.

Tom
Mark Henry
It's like me this AM, tired.
Need..java... just pour it in my IV nurse..

A quick check on the guides is to pop off the covers, take a small screwdriver and put a bit of force against the side of the retainer. The wear limit is .015" and you are only pushing one way so say half of that.
If you see a lot of movement the guides are smoked.
red914
hmm... and how bad is it if one needs new guides? my car produces a little cloud upon the fires being lit, but it goes away immediately, never to appear until the next cold lighting.
Bleyseng
Check the PCV valve to make sure its not gummed up then rebuilt the heads if that don't fix it.

Geoff
Mark Henry
QUOTE(red914 @ May 22 2004, 06:40 AM)
hmm... and how bad is it if one needs new guides? my car produces a little cloud upon the fires being lit, but it goes away immediately, never to appear until the next cold lighting.

I would start saving towards a rebuild. Anytime something (like guides) is worn you increase the chance of failure. You may be OK for a while, but it will only get worse.

That said, this came off of a running engine.
red914
i need some help here; what is wrong with the picture? are the little tube things (i am assuming valvle guide) not supposed to appear flared? what are they supposed to look like? what causes them to wear, or is it inevitable? i apologize for my ignorance... i have even more questions for later...
Levi
It looks like it might be cracked at 4 o clock
red914
oh, you are right. cracks are bad. even i can figure that out. laugh.gif now if i can learn to look closer at the pictures in the first place, i will be making progress.

levi, btw, what is up with yor weather out there? 1.5 inches in 20 minutes? 1/2 inch sized hail? tornado? is this true?
Mark Henry
Yes it's a guide, they wear over time and yes they are not supposed to be flared (or cracked).

A new guide
red914
this, of course, makes me want to never, ever look inside my engine. thanks for the pics; my education continues...
Levi
QUOTE(red914 @ May 22 2004, 08:55 AM)
oh, you are right. cracks are bad. even i can figure that out. laugh.gif now if i can learn to look closer at the pictures in the first place, i will be making progress.

levi, btw, what is up with yor weather out there? 1.5 inches in 20 minutes? 1/2 inch sized hail? tornado? is this true?

Yes its true... Oh man..Its been shitty weather around here the last 3 days
I was working in my shop on Thursday it started raining so hard that I couldn't hear my stereo over the rain noise on the roof, there was so much thunder and lightning that the sky just kept rumbling constantly for a half hour...oh yea and to top it off the power went out, so all I could do is sit on my porch and drink beer..
beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 22 2004, 08:59 AM)
Check the PCV valve to make sure its not gummed up then rebuilt the heads if that don't fix it.

no PCV valve on my car wink.gif

i have the filler cap with the metal spunge and the vent hose goes straight to the air-filter. no valve.

seems to work fine that way ...
Andy
Trekkor
Andy, what are you going to do?

I guess a new motor is what you really want, right?

Are you thinking new heads ( or good used ones )or a valve job to get by for now?

If you get work done, are you considering a slight compresion ratio increase to sqeeze out a little moa powa? cool_shades.gif
DNHunt
Seems to me Zois usually pops in about now with a word about a 2056. It sounds like you may be puttin out a little more smoke than me but, you and I can lay down a smoke screen at the AX and win by default. I'm just packing a lot of oil for the trip (3 quarts should do it). Just kind of a perpetual slow oil change.

We need a smoky smilie.

My new engine is on order

Dave
Mark Henry
QUOTE(DNHunt @ May 23 2004, 06:37 AM)
We need a smoky smilie.

And dripping oil smile.gif

"Old Porsche's don't leak oil...they just mark their spot."
Bleyseng
Thats what I need!!! After that last trackday and missing a shift the sucker really is a leaker now. No time and no parts yet (waiting on Brad/MarkB to ship) so I can rip the engine/tranny out to fix it.

Andy, try plugging the hose straight into the plenum to see if that helps reduce the backpressure. There is more vacuum off the plenum than the aircleaner due to the throttle plate. Thats how the 73-74's are setup with the PCV valve on the oil filler or steal one from Brad to try out. If you have high backpressure it will force the oil thru the rings/valveguides into the combustionchamber.

Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 23 2004, 08:02 AM)
Andy, try plugging the hose straight into the plenum to see if that helps reduce the backpressure. There is more vacuum off the plenum than the aircleaner due to the throttle plate. Thats how the 73-74's are setup with the PCV valve on the oil filler

i did.
all i get is a really LOUD whiny noise.
like, bust-your-ear-drums-loud ...

seems like, it's too much sucky-sucky when connected to the plenum ...
unsure.gif Andy
Bleyseng
bitch, bitch....I give you a good fix and this is what I get.... <_<
maybe you would like some cheese with that whine!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 23 2004, 07:59 PM)
bitch, bitch....I give you a good fix and this is what I get.... dry.gif
maybe you would like some cheese with that whine!

haha, right now, i'd kill for some good wine !!!

i'm just going to drive her until she blows up.
i got a set of 2.0L heads, but they need rebuilding.

i'm still having my eye on the 3.6L engine that is collecting dust at brad's shop. wink.gif
Andy
Andyrew
i'm just going to drive her until she blows up.

Thats my theory!!!

Hope you get the problem solved, I have no clue. You dont have a turbo so I cant say its the main seal... (dad has the same problem when the turbo hits 15 psi... not letting full throttle.. so for maximum hp its 70% throttle)

ya..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.