Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safety latch failed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bills914-4
Yeah I think its my bad, I dont remember pushing the release handle back in
the last time I open it at home , I dont use hood springs ,it's a glass hood (QRS)
& I wasn't using latch pins ( I will install this time ) I didn't feel I needed & I didn't
want to spoil the look , MY MISTAKE , so a Word of Caution to anybody running a
fiberglass front hood without Safty Thru Pins , don't trust the safty catch latch
the hood will FLEX and FLY open , headbang.gif Bill D.

Insurance apraiser will be by tuesday (car is home) I'll see what they say (AARP),
URY914
Good luck with the insurace man. They may find a reason not to cover it.
boogie_man
Wondering how you're going to fix the windshield cowl (the project I bought had the same fate) as I see the hinges do most of the damages. Sorry to see that happen sad.gif
messix
QUOTE(boogie_man @ May 1 2011, 06:54 PM) *

Wondering how you're going to fix the windshield cowl (the project I bought had the same fate) as I see the hinges do most of the damages. Sorry to see that happen sad.gif

cut - n- paiste...

i mean, cut and weld.
Mike Bellis
I have a 72 I'm cutting up if you need a cowl...
Lou W
Oh Wow, what a shame, I'm planning on running a glass hood on my car, maybe hold down pins are the way to go. sad.gif
Bills914-4
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 1 2011, 10:04 PM) *

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer , I'm going to try locally , if nothing then I'll probably take it ,
Thank you very much Bill D.
VaccaRabite
Wait, so the airbrake function to the hood was not intended?

Yeah. Use pins. I would bot trust glass with the stock latch.
Eric_Shea
sad.gif
Hate to see that man....

The stock hood does much more damage. BTDT at about 60 mph freeway cruising in my first teener back in about 79/80.

Everytime I drive mine at high speed that is in the back on my head. I need to get hood pins!!
sww914
I'm sorry that your latch malfunctioned but I'm glad that the glass hood did pretty minimal damage compared to what steel hoods do when they come up. I've gone 135 in a 914 with a glass hood and no hood pins.
abnrdo
sad.gif Sorry man. Just a good reminder for everyone to get hood pins.
Bills914-4
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 2 2011, 02:01 AM) *

I'm sorry that your latch malfunctioned but I'm glad that the glass hood did pretty minimal damage compared to what steel hoods do when they come up. I've gone 135 in a 914 with a glass hood and no hood pins.

Yeah , I've been driving around 4-5 months with glass hood no problems ( I wont say how fast I've been up to evilgrin.gif ) , this is about the safty catch latch , at 55mph
the popped open , flexed then flew back and hit the windsheild dry.gif , and stayed
there , Thank God I just moved to the far left lane , trying to see thru the windshield was impossible , I had my head out the door window trying to see the
emergency lane and stay away from the Concrete divider , ( need emicon for shit in pants) biggrin.gif , I can laugh now , anyway heads up always double check your pull
handle , hood pins are an option ( not on my next glass hood ) Thanks Bill D.
Bills914-4
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 1 2011, 09:47 PM) *

Well the insurance man came by today , said they will be sending a check out
tomorrow smile.gif , I'm cool with the amount minus my deduction , I think I can fix
it with what is left , I still need to talk to the painter/bodyman ,

I have to Grin ,they are paying for a new glass hood (full price ,even shipping when I send a recipt) but they wont pay for the latch mechism ( somthing to do
listed as the item that failed) , thats ok I found my latch in the emergency lane unharmed ,it was still attached to a part of the glass frame , I didnt show him that,

I questioned him about the windsheild amount , his response was that is what his
computer shows , I was told ( if they charge more ,send a copy of recipt for a reimbursment )
windshield $ 116.45 , SafeLite , does this seem correct ? thanks Bill D.
installation $ 113.00 ,
ConeDodger
QUOTE(WLD419 @ May 3 2011, 03:57 PM) *

Well the insurance man came by today , said they will be sending a check out
tomorrow smile.gif , I'm cool with the amount minus my deduction , I think I can fix
it with what is left , I still need to talk to the painter/bodyman ,

I have to Grin ,they are paying for a new glass hood (full price ,even shipping when I send a recipt) but they wont pay for the latch mechism ( somthing to do
listed as the item that failed) , thats ok I found my latch in the emergency lane unharmed ,it was still attached to a part of the glass frame , I didnt show him that,

I questioned him about the windsheild amount , his response was that is what his
computer shows , I was told ( if they charge more ,send a copy of recipt for a reimbursment )
installation $ 113.00 ,

I'm surprised they paid for the hood. It isn't stock. They usually just walk away and as they do they tell you they only cover what is stock.
Installing the windshield is easy. Do that yourself.
stugray
I have a glass hood (with pins).
Never been over highway speeds though.... (rust bucket with really nice parts...)

I have also been directly behind someone who's hood opened at highway speed (not a 914).
I need the Sh-In-Pants emoticon for my reaction as well ;-)
It looked like the radiator blew at the same time, but I think it was just the hood liner coming apart at 75MPH.

I am amazed that the INS company paid for it since it could have been considered a "performance modification, without notification" - meaning: 'you upgraded the car without letting us know and robbed us of increased revenue by not raising your rates'.
Who was your carrier? Sounds like a good one?

Glad you were able to get to the side without further incident.

Stu
Bills914-4
I was suprised also , first thing he said was, were did you buy the hood
& how much did I pay ,

thankfully I switch to AARP about a year ago ,I became eligible (over50)
& all state was raising my rates by 10%

Bill D.
URY914
I hope you feel lucky. biggrin.gif
boogie_man
I used to be an insurance adjuster as yes that can be considered a comprhensive loss where the pay for the damages but not the cause..just like a blown tire, they won't cover the tire but will pay for the damages it can do. Glad it worked out for you. beer.gif
sean_v8_914
I dont think the latch failed. i submit that the hood failed. air gets under FG hood and inflates it. as it bows upward, teh leading edge retracts as does teh latch hook. it moves far enough back to clear the lip it once clipped under. I have observed this durrign hood installation and once it was highlighted because there was an object in teh seal rail. the object bowed the hood and teh latch let go. als seen when teh hood it too far back and/or the latch to the hood is too far back
sean_v8_914
oops. you already said that. "the hood will FLEX and FLY open "

what is teh groovy plumbing under your hood?
Kraftwerk
IMO hood pins look cool.
carr914
QUOTE(WLD419 @ May 3 2011, 07:57 PM) *

installation $ 113.00 ,

Original Sigla Windshields are available from Porsche ( in stock in Atlanta) List Price $462.01

T.C.
7TPorsh
Looks like it made your chrome moulding fly off too...don;t forget to mention that. biggrin.gif
Borderline
The problem with hood pins is you have to remember to put the little pins in. When I installed my new shifter I was so anxious to test it out........you know the rest. My F/G hood was so light it ripped apart but did no damage to the car. headbang.gif
Niklas
Sorry for your hood.

who sells hoodpins?
Can I make them by myself?

I must put them on my hood.

Niklas
URY914
Get aluminum pins, they look better than chrome.
campbellcj
I agree - you got very lucky both in terms of not crashing or damaging your car worse, as well as with the insurance claim!

FWIW even when I had a steel hood, I added 2 pins in addition to the stock latch as an extra precaution under track use. Now with a light & flexy f/g lid I use 4 pins (on the front edge) but ditched the stock latch. Having the lid pop at 55mph is one thing...125mph would be a whole 'nuther issue
Bills914-4
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 4 2011, 09:28 AM) *

oops. you already said that. "the hood will FLEX and FLY open "

what is teh groovy plumbing under your hood?

Yeah thanks , I stated in the begining of thread , I might have forgotten to push the handle back in ,

The groovie plumbing biggrin.gif , the blue lines are the oil lines that go to a thermostat
then split to cooler & heater core inside the evaporator (oil instead water ,for defrost & heat ) biggrin.gif , it is pumped there from scavinging side of the dry sump
pump ( 60mm gears) then back to the 3gal. tank dry.gif , thanks Bill D.

o yeah I got a call from insurance the Check is in the Mail !
Chris Pincetich
I posted about this from my 914 over a year ago, why didn't you remember? dry.gif

My cowl is still not perfect, and the hood has 4 pins on the leading edge, GT style. Summit Racing has a great selection of hood pins to choose from.

FYI - my hood(s) all had tapped fiberglass threads for all attachments, and the front latch threads are what failed on mine. I bought the hood used and the threads were a bit worn. I replaced ALL threaded spots with screw-in steel threaded inserts, which I then added a layer of new resin on top and in the micro-spaces to ensure they stick!

Mike - I may contact you if the piece(s) below are still available. My 914 is at Original Customs for another week and the timing now is perfect. beerchug.gif
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 1 2011, 07:04 PM) *

matteyp
someone hit my car a couple years back and I told my insurance that the accident caused the windshield to crack, which was not exactly true...but anyways progressive paid me about 400 bucks for a windshield. 116 seems waay to low to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.