Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Britain Smith TTOD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Quote directly from Facebook:

Britain Smith
Great day at the SCCA Autocross at PIR. Took TTOD with the Where2Race sponsored Porsche 914. Finally got the boost under control, the brake bias in check, and had some fun driving the car in anger. Can't wait to mount new tires and take the car to Packwood in two weeks.

Go Britain with the Where2Race sporsored 914.

The shitbox lives. Yea. smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
Woo Hoo!!
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif
J P Stein
Not bad consideing the Test & Tune mode, a God's own tight course, & shot tiars.
There's still work to be done.
cary
Nice ......................
Mike T
popcorn[1].gif beer.gif

BMXerror
Great job, Brit! aktion035.gif Show 'em how it's done. I sure hope you're coming to Lincoln this year. I would love to see all the improvements in person. chowtime.gif
Mark D.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ May 1 2011, 08:43 PM) *
the Where2Race sporsored 914

So he's sponsoring his own car? That's so, uhmm, unusual? rolleyes.gif

Congrats on the TTOD! first.gif
mskala
Sounds like the answer to Where2Race is wherever the hell he's not.
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2011, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 1 2011, 08:43 PM) *
the Where2Race sporsored 914

So he's sponsoring his own car? That's so, uhmm, unusual? rolleyes.gif

I was thinking same thing. LOL!

Saw video of his runs. Appears to be battling understeer and it seems to have some turbo lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Et-cJPgPM...yer_profilepage

Little stock powered Miata was only 2/10ths off his time which tells me they where actually turning. He is going to need to work hard on suspension to get it up to its potential. I think we 914 enthusiasts some times take for granted the great handling of the car and dont focus enough on making real improvements on suspension. XP offers a lot more options to Brit on modifying his suspension. I'd be tackling that piece of the equation hard now.

Still is very cool to see that thing squirt around the AX course!

Randal
Lookie lookie, another Where2Race machine:

Click to view attachment

jjackson
QUOTE(Randal @ May 22 2011, 10:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment

That car looks fast on the trailer! Like everything except the spoiler-JJackson
Randal
QUOTE(jjackson @ May 22 2011, 02:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You are right about that.

Had a great time yesterday down at the American AutoX Series running against all the EMod boys yesterday. Some very fast cars.

Just great to be out driving again and the car is so much better; just a totally new ride.

jmill
first.gif

Sweet! Get some new tires to lay the power down on that thing.
Randal
QUOTE(jjackson @ May 22 2011, 02:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment

One that that I could do before Medford is just mount a big plastic spoiler to my existing reinforced spoiler.

End plates could be epoxied. Ummmm.

Probably the angle of attack would be to high. smash.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ May 22 2011, 04:07 PM) *

Had a great time yesterday down at the American AutoX Series running against all the EMod boys yesterday. Some very fast cars.

Just great to be out driving again and the car is so much better; just a totally new ride.

As I have said in the past and still say if you arent making 400 HP plus in a 1500 lb 914 in EM you dont have a chance with the Nor Cal E Mod crowd. 4 to 5 seconds is a long time to make up on a 60 second course. I felt like I was rooting for small home town team and the national champions from out of state came in. I wanted the 914 to win but oh man it was clear you were out gunned. just from the first lap. Its so strange how your perspecitve on "fast" changes when you are around those cars! I used to think my 914 was moderately fast until I started to go to AAS and SCCA Tour events.

Look at the second place emod car from the AAS event this weekend in the vid below. The Villereal Lotus was off the pace of the V8 Austin Healy and that wasnt a power course. It was nice flowing course where you could keep up momentum. I think weighting up 222 to 1725lbs and jumping to XP is better choice if you want to be competitive in SCCA classing. You are safe in PCA events as they truly are several notches down in terms of competition and car preperation in mod classes. You only have Andrew to contend with and that car isnt much of a Mod car. At least youre on even playing field with that car in terms of HP.

Still 222 is a very fun car to watch and clearly its working better than it did a couple years ago. I hope you can take some in car video at the hillclimb!

http://youtu.be/nyrsHyOlqHQ

Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 24 2011, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 22 2011, 04:07 PM) *

As I have said in the past and still say if you arent making 400 HP plus in a 1500 lb 914 in EM you dont have a chance with the Nor Cal E Mod crowd. 4 to 5 seconds is a long time to make up on a 60 second course. I felt like I was rooting for small home town team and the national champions from out of state came in. I wanted the 914 to win but oh man it was clear you were out gunned. just from the first lap. Its so strange how your perspecitve on "fast" changes when you are around those cars! I used to think my 914 was moderately fast until I started to go to AAS and SCCA Tour events.

Look at the second place emod car from the AAS event this weekend in the vid below. The Villereal Lotus was off the pace of the V8 Austin Healy and that wasnt a power course. It was nice flowing course where you could keep up momentum. I think weighting up 222 to 1725lbs and jumping to XP is better choice if you want to be competitive in SCCA classing. You are safe in PCA events as they truly are several notches down in terms of competition and car preperation in mod classes. You only have Andrew to contend with and that car isnt much of a Mod car. At least youre on even playing field with that car in terms of HP.

Still 222 is a very fun car to watch and clearly its working better than it did a couple years ago. I hope you can take some in car video at the hillclimb!

http://youtu.be/nyrsHyOlqHQ

LOL, don't be too quick to judge a car that has been off the road for two years, and of course the driver as well.

Guess what, if I get within two seconds of those guys, I win.

BTW where were you Grant in that expensive, sponsored, modern and set up hot rod? How did you end up against the old technology 914?

grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ May 24 2011, 12:23 PM) *

LOL, don't be too quick to judge a car that has been off the road for two years, and of course the driver as well.

Guess what, if I get within two seconds of those guys, I win.

BTW where were you Grant in that expensive, sponsored, modern and set up hot rod? How did you end up against the old technology 914?

Thats going to be tough as you were nearly 5 seconds off the fast Emod car on a momentum course? And that V8 Healy isnt the fastest E mod car! The Rotory Sprite beats him by nearly a second. If you get within 2 seconds of that car I'll buy you a beer!

...Let me see I drove in on my skinny hard compound track wheels/tires that had three full track days on them in a 3500lb full interior street car with AC, 8 speaker stereo and my first run was just as fast as yours. I botched my second and third runs but still kept you within about 2 seconds in my street car with my first run! Id say I was closer to you than you were to cars in your own class? bootyshake.gif I held BSP cars to 2 seconds even with blown runs. I was there just for giggles as I love to see the fast CP cars and was too lazy to mount my AX weels and tires. But ulimately the Nismo is a TT car that does fine - it turns 2 minutes flat at Thunderhill. Let me know when 222 does that. I'm pretty sure I beat you in PAX so it looks like I'm doing something right? Althought we were both fighting to stay out of DFL in PAX. first.gif

Better watchout when I show up on the fat A6's and my real LSD. I'm just about 2 seconds faster with that setup! popcorn[1].gif

Randal
Actually think I was 4.4 off the Healey and I blew my last run.

Hell that is only +/- 400 feet.

Anyway I like the competition with these guys. No chance I can beat those guys with my existing setup, but my objective will be to get within a couple of seconds of the Lotus. That would make my day.

Oh yea bring whatever you want to the next one Grant. You’ll always have an excuse for losing, but your big modern high technology door slammer just get beat by an old technology car out for the first time in two years.

And I didn’t have to pay my mechanic. Maybe you should have done an arrive and drive deal; would have been less stress and you’d of had a professional trainer. LOL
PeeGreen 914
Why the hell do we have all these guys that don't even own 914s come here to tell us what you can't do? confused24.gif Why do they try and kill someone's dream no matter how unrealistic it may be WTF.gif . I would rather support someone's dream no matter how far fetched it is as you really never know beerchug.gif

In other words, if you don't have anything nice to say fuck off. happy11.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ May 24 2011, 03:32 PM) *

Actually think I was 4.4 off the Healey and I blew my last run.

Hell that is only +/- 400 feet.

Anyway I like the competition with these guys. No chance I can beat those guys with my existing setup, but my objective will be to get within a couple of seconds of the Lotus. That would make my day.

Oh yea bring whatever you want to the next one Grant. You’ll always have an excuse for losing, but your big modern high technology door slammer just get beat by an old technology car out for the first time in two years.

And I didn’t have to pay my mechanic. Maybe you should have done an arrive and drive deal; would have been less stress and you’d of had a professional trainer. LOL

4.4 seconds on a momentum course? OK I'll be nice and not say any more about your cars chances in emod. well maybe something. I have just two leters for you and its XP. And I'm not convinced you beat me yet? Lets wait and see PAX results. Unless you think a 3500 lb street car and a 1600 lb E Mod caged race car on race slicks should be competing head to head? Last I checked thats why there are classes? I know you new guys to SCCA think every car with DOT tires is in the same class as you but Emod is a signficant jump from Street Prepared where my car sits. av-943.gif But I'm game I love beating higher PAX cars as its a challenge. Pretty sure with some focus I can get you.

I havent paid a mechanic to work on my current setup since working with the team? Also havent paid much for parts. You'd be surprised to learn my car is still is in fairly showroom stock trim. All stock motor with just a set of intakes and high flow catsI installed, mostly stock suspension with just a nice set of JRZ coilovers bolted in, my rear brakes are stock. I was running my stock rear diff at this event. I just have sexy Brembo competition rotors and calipers. Everything else is bone stock. I have less than $8K of my money into the car. And its not as if entry price of $36K was that much? Hate to break it to you but the car is pretty close to the way it was delivered off the showroom floor with same width tire/wheels, etc. Unsure where you got the idea its a full on modern race car? Guess all my ricey decals make it look like a race car? LOL! Pretty sure you have far more into that fancy emod racer than I have in my daily commuter car? Hey and when its hot I can hang in grid with my AC on and listen to tunes. I think I have you beat in ability to chill before the race. shades.gif Also if something breaks I have a full warranty. I also only install parts that are warranty supported.

And I make no excuses for losing in my own class. I was out driven pure and simple.
grantsfo
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 24 2011, 03:58 PM) *

Why the hell do we have all these guys that don't even own 914s come here to tell us what you can't do? confused24.gif Why do they try and kill someone's dream no matter how unrealistic it may be WTF.gif . I would rather support someone's dream no matter how far fetched it is as you really never know beerchug.gif

Give me a break 914 club newbie. I have been in around autocrossing and racing 914's since I was 10 years old in the 70's. Owned 4 of them. I have enough 914's parts to build 50 percent of a tub in my shed. I'm looking for another 914 as we speak.

And I will let you and others delude yourselves. with "dreams" Guess thats my proplem I'm too much of a realist.

Guess you missed all of JPs dream killing comments over the past decade on these forums? Oh wait he doesnt own a 914 eithe now! LOL! Nope I just dont take crap and I know an imposter when I see one.

And FYI Brit isnt an imposter. He is actually getting it done! Its the other mouth pieces here that have no idea what they are talking about.

Look for my dream at the Nationals this year. I had nothing but dream killing input developing this car from most of the characters here. Comments a sub 2000 lb boxster is impossible you will be lucky to get it to 2100 lbs, your crazy Boxster could never beat a 914, Didnt let that stop me from building 1970 lb FP Boxster that has podiumed at National Tour event and is now on its way to run at Lincoln for a podium spot.

http://youtu.be/2gAVfwakCCQ

Suspect you and others could take a dose of your own medicine and just zip it but thats not the nature of 914 culture from what I have observed.

J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 24 2011, 05:13 PM) *

Give me a break 914 club newbie. I have been in around autocrossing and racing 914's since I was 10 years old in the 70's. Owned 4 of them. I have enough 914's parts to build 50 percent of a tub in my shed. I'm looking for another 914 as we speak.

And I will let you and others delude yourselves. with "dreams" Guess thats my proplem I'm too much of a realist.

Guess you missed all of JPs dream killing comments over the past decade on these forums? Oh wait he doesnt own a 914 eithe now! LOL! Nope I just dont take crap and I know an imposter when I see one.

And FYI Brit isnt an imposter. He is actually getting it done! Its the other mouth pieces here that have no idea what they are talking about.

Look for my dream at the Nationals this year. I had nothing but dream killing input developing this car from most of the characters here. Comments a sub 2000 lb boxster is impossible you will be lucky to get it to 2100 lbs, your crazy Boxster could never beat a 914, Didnt let that stop me from building 1970 lb FP Boxster that has podiumed at National Tour event and is now on its way to run at Lincoln for a podium spot.

Suspect you and others could take a dose of your own medicine and just zip it but thats not the nature of 914 culture from what I have observed.

Well, newbie, if we here are so screwed up I'm suprised you'd waste your time tyring to straighten us out. It really doesn't matter, I guess, because nobody here buys into your bullshit anyhow.
grantsfo
Just calculated PAX times. Guess that new tech isnt as slow as you think Randy? piratenanner.gif but as I mentioned we are both a couple of jokers fighting to stay out of last place when driving against quality of drivers at AAS. I doubt either of us even made top 15 OA or top 40 indexed. I know there were several of those "modern" street cars that got you OA. They actually had fast drivers biggrin.gif

i hear Redwood region PCA and events in Oregon are good for the ego. I prescribe a few weeks away from serious competition.

jjackson
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 24 2011, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 24 2011, 03:58 PM) *

Imposter???
Dreamer???
Delusional???
"Decent" finish last years nationals.Trophied with two different teeners in FP at nats.
Faster this year!!
JJackson
grantsfo
[quote name='jjackson' date='May 25 2011, 05:07 AM' post='1483243']
[/quote]
Imposter???
Dreamer???
Delusional???
"Decent" finish last years nationals.Trophied with two different teeners in FP at nats.
Faster this year!!
JJackson
[/quote]

I know youre fast. And looks like you have done a great job with your car! Its our West Coast 914 freinds who are a little delusional at times in their current state when it comes to SCCA classed 914's. JP used to think he had a nationally competitive Emod car with a weezy 2.7 liter Porsche motor, then backed off to XP stating car was nationally competitive, Then after it went to Brit they tried weighting up to FP, fail, Boxster smoked him at San Diego Tour and we beat the Larson BMW day one and lost by less than a couple tenths for weekend due to a spin. The Boxster is ions faster now (250 lbs lighter and engine is making about 20 more HP) We also have full monoball suspension and real race springs on the car. We podiumed at San Diego with my old street setup. LOL! Now Brit is finally on track with XP build I think will work but he is still behind you on development path for the class he is running. I'm sorry if being a realist spoils everyones day. Its just amazing to me that Brit has taken exact path I had reccomended 3 years ago. LOL!

I was just growing tired of the great Northwest imposter telling me I didnt know what I was doing with my 914 and subsequently with the Boxster. My 914 was never a serious effort and was used more as a track car. Boxster was my first real focused effort on a SCCA AX car. I got it as far as I could but it needed expensive motor work to become a true nationals winning car. Rather than stop the development I sold it to have somone who knows a bit about AX car development take it over. Erik thinks it could win FP right now with the right driver which is all the endorsement I ever needed that I was on the right track. Fraser also said the car was very close to a nationally competitive car and offered suspension help.

So this will be fun as you will be driving against me and the "right" driver at Nationals. LOL!

jjackson
[quote name='grantsfo' date='May 25 2011, 03:06 PM' post='1483475']
[/quote]
Imposter???
Dreamer???
Delusional???
Faster this year!!
JJackson
[/quote]

I know youre fast. And looks like you have done a great job with your car! Its our West Coast 914 freinds who are a little delusional at times in their current state when it comes to SCCA classed 914's. JP used to think he had a nationally competitive Emod car with a weezy 2.7 liter Porsche motor, then backed off to XP stating car was nationally competitive, Then after it went to Brit they tried weighting up to FP, fail, Boxster smoked him at San Diego Tour and we beat the Larson BMW day one and lost by less than a couple tenths for weekend due to a spin. The Boxster is ions faster now (250 lbs lighter and engine is making about 20 more HP) We also have full monoball suspension and real race springs on the car. We podiumed at San Diego with my old street setup. LOL! Now Brit is finally on track with XP build I think will work but he is still behind you on development path for the class he is running. I'm sorry if being a realist spoils everyones day. Its just amazing to me that Brit has taken exact path I had reccomended 3 years ago. LOL!

I was just growing tired of the great Northwest imposter telling me I didnt know what I was doing with my 914 and subsequently with the Boxster. My 914 was never a serious effort and was used more as a track car. Boxster was my first real focused effort on a SCCA AX car. I got it as far as I could but it needed expensive motor work to become a true nationals winning car. Rather than stop the development I sold it to have somone who knows a bit about AX car development take it over. Erik thinks it could win FP right now with the right driver which is all the endorsement I ever needed that I was on the right track. Fraser also said the car was very close to a nationally competitive car and offered suspension help.

So this will be fun as you will be driving against me and the "right" driver at Nationals. LOL!
[/quote]
I have noticed that lots of you guys have issues.I've known Eric since he ran the CSP sciorocco against my buddy Grady.(Med school days)Look forward to seeing you at nats.JJackson
PeeGreen 914
[quote name='grantsfo' date='May 25 2011, 01:06 PM' post='1483475']
[/quote]
Imposter???
Dreamer???
Delusional???
Faster this year!!
JJackson
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who cares what JP says confused24.gif

Just don't be the same dick that goes off telling people they can't do this or that. Isn't that what learning is all about?

Don't lump me in with JP.... for that matter, don't lump any of the NW guys with him. We have a very great group up here and, to my knowledge, they only give people support to try new things.
grantsfo
OK Youre right!
J P Stein
I used to rag GGR for thinking they were the center of the Porsche AX world (only about half in jest biggrin.gif ). We put that to rest when 2 NW 914s towed down the 750 miles to the 2008 Shoot Out and took both street (Gary C.) and Modified classes (Brit). When the Shoot Out was held the following year, nobody from CA. showed up.....go figure.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.