Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running out of time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Well, its less than 2 weeks away from the WCC and my car is still in assembly stage. At this point I really dont think I am going to get the car to where I would drive it up there. Everytime I get something put together, I realize something else needs to be done or what I wanted to do wont work. Looks like I am going with the M calipers on the front instead of the 240DL brakes. They look cool on the car but I dont think they will work very good as they dont sit far enough down on the rotor. Only about two thirds of the pad will make contact and the rest would be off the top of the rotor. I really think I would want effective brakes rather than cool looking brakes. I will continue working on it till its done but I think at this point, I will be taking the truck up and maybe trailering the car. It all depends on what I get done. I wanted to get it running so I could drive it a little to make sure everything is right on it. If I were only 18 or 19 again, I would be crazy enough to do it. My luck, it would break down half way up there and I would have to tow it home. An expense I cant afford right now. These things are really money pits. Its costing me a fortune and its not even done yet. So I guess I fit right in here with all you other crazy people.
Levi
Quit Bull shitin and get back to work... lol2.gif lol2.gif
No wonder your not done.. lol2.gif

Just yankin your chain... beerchug.gif
skline
Well, some of us have jobs too and have to work to make money to pay for these habits of ours. I am so back logged on work right now I will be busy till fall. Good news is, the yellow car I sold made it up to Washington without too many problems, he said the clutch arm at the pedal got bent and broke the cable. Cost him $11.00 to get it fixed and I had given him an extra cable. He had to adjust the throttle linkage but for the most part, it drove fine. Thats a lot farther than I would have tried to drive it on its maiden voyage.
Trekkor
Yes, they are expensive. But..Who cares?

Gotta have somethin'.

There are several of you guys ( and gal ) scrambling to get it together on time: skline, McMark, Mueller, Jenny, Rich-918s, Mikez?, others I'm missing.

Face down and GO!!! burnout.gif
Levi
QUOTE(skline @ May 22 2004, 11:39 AM)
Well, some of us have jobs too and have to work to make money to pay for these habits of ours.

lol2.gif lol2.gif I know...and the rest of us are just poor
laugh.gif
JeffBowlsby
Subtle persuasion...

2 weeks left...Go for it Scott....We are behind you...give it your best...

Now repeat after me... biggrin.gif
DrifterJay
hey scott...what are you implying about being crazy? hehe.... biggrin.gif ....see you tomorrow... lol2.gif
jared..
Elliot_Cannon
Scott,
I couldn't get up there this weekend but if I'm home next week I'll see if I can come up and lend a hand. At least words of encouragement or ridicule or whatever it takes
Cheers, Elliot
Aaron Cox
yeah scott, i might be able to make it out there with jared tommorow. give ya a hand on whatever ya need. wink.gif

Aaron
Levi
Scott I sure hope you have better luck than me, After I got the exhaust on the 64 I could hear a rist pin knock in my engine, so much for the
"good used 25K 305 engine"

I'm so fucking depressed.....
skline
You mean to tell me that you didnt take the motor apart to check it out? I am surprised. How much did you pay for it? I bought this 283 rebuilt also, but I pulled it all apart and could tell by the cross hatching in the cylinders that it had not been run much if at all. Plus they have this cool stuff called Plastigage that will check the mains and rods for wear. And you can pull the pistons out enough to see the wrist pins without pulling it out to the rings. However, I figured I had it that far, I went ahead and checked the gap on the rings and reinserted them. It also let me set the ring gaps in the right positions. Good luck with your motor. I too, hope I have better luck than that.
Levi
QUOTE(skline @ May 22 2004, 10:30 PM)
You mean to tell me that you didnt take the motor apart to check it out?

Fuck no, I didn't take it apart, I bought it from my engine machine guy, he said it ran fine and I Trust him, I'll see what he has to say on monday. it wasn't his engine he was selling it for a friend that put a 350 in its place in his pickup.
I only paid $100. for it, the heads are worth more than that, I'm just pissed because I spent all of the time switching engines and I still can't sell the car...and thats my money for the month...so I'm fucked and broke....damn it...shit....
skline
QUOTE(Levi @ May 22 2004, 11:42 PM)
I'm just pissed because I spent all of the time switching engines and I still can't sell the car...and thats my money for the month...so I'm fucked and broke....damn it...shit....

I really want to meet you one of these days, you crack me up. I totally understand where you are coming from. Its a been there done that thing. You just want to kick you butt all the way around the garage.
bernbomb914
I am another poor soul that is scrambling to get my cat together. engine is in, right rear suspension is almost on, plumbing for the oil cooler is done, new fuel pump is installed. need to install the rennshift assy. finish the gas lines for the new carbs. make up new ignition wires,still waiting for the mallory distribtor. put back the upolstery,clean it up hope it runs put it on the trailer and go.

Bernie
neo914-6
You guys crack me up. I worked on my car on a shoe string budget when I was a starving student. 20 years later with family, Bay Area cost of living, old house maintenance, I am still working on it with a shoe string budget.

I'm playing it safe and holding off any major projects on my car - of course this event isn't the only thing that's postponed them. I'm still concerned I will make all the events (and I live in San Jose). Converted cars have the 914 quirks PLUS potential water leaks/air pockets, few specs, more stress on the drive train parts...

I hope this is not like a Dead Head event where we leave trails of our cars (like VW buses) littering the roads... ohmy.gif

At least strength in numbers should insure NO car is left behind!

I think each one of us should carry a unique 914 spare part in case... idea.gif
Howard
Unique part? I'll be carrying an extra towbar and brackets to fit 914. How's that for confidence?

Scott, offer is still open, Moby Dick should be done (?) tomorrow. Can't make it to OC today, but next weekend OK if you're still hurting.
Mueller
Hey Scott,

I feel you pain, yesterday I didn't make much progress at all...today I have yet to go out to the garage, my wife bought new blinds and I'm installing the damn things right now (sorta, LOL)

i have not given up hope.......
Levi
I had all the tin off the damn thing, it was just the short block so it would have been easy to pull it apart, but if you don't suspect any problems its better sometimes to just leave it alone....sometimes....fuuuuck.... headbang.gif
McMark
I put my crank together yesterday. confused24.gif I'm worried that my ceramic lifters will not be ready in time. Or my oil pump. Once I can get the damn bottom end together I'm home free. I'm starting to think I'm not going to make it with a 914 either. But I can always drive my girlfriends Type IV 912.
Trekkor
Take time off work, and get HUGE!!!

cool_shades.gif mueba.gif wavey.gif clap56.gif headbang.gif smash.gif beer.gif idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif rocking nana.gif
Mike D.
I'm in the same boat, engine is in I've been trying to start it all day. 2.2 six with webbers & msd. It's like it want to start every now and then but it just can't get over the hump. I'm back inside reading through a couple of books. At this point, even if it does run and I get it all set up, I'll probably rent a trailer and pull it up there.

During the Tour 2000 I think I was only person whose car didn't make it home on it's own wheels...

keep on keepin on

back to work...

-Mike D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.