Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: thermostat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
While walking around in my engine compartment, I noticed the t-stat is not connected. The flapper is spring loaded and in the HOT position ( right? ).

Will I have any problems other than slower warm-ups? confused24.gif
Otmar
People will certainly have different opinions on this.
As I understand it, you will have shorter engine life and worse gas mileage since your engine may spend a lot of time running too cold.
It is quite common to leave them disconnected, but it's also quite common for engines to run poorly and suffer early deaths.
Just my 2°
McMark
No you don't need one, yes you should have one.
biggrin.gif
SirAndy
i have mine disconnected and glued down so it always stays full open.

dunno. i don't drive just to the corner liquor store and back so the car usually get's warmed up OK.
plus, it doesn't get all that cold here in CA anyways. wink.gif

to me, it seems like just one less thing to worry about.

it's not like our engines like to run too hot or something,
rolleyes.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 22 2004, 12:57 PM)
The flapper is spring loaded and in the HOT position ( right? ).

that, i'm not sure about!!!!

mine are glued DOWN (which is the hot position) to make sure they stay there.
Andy
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I'm pretty sure they fail to the "hot engine" position. This is incase the wire breaks. If the wire breaks, you may not know about it until the engine gets really, really hot!
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot_Cannon
I guess I meant to say if the wire breaks in the "engine cold" position. Thats why it fails to the hot position. Anyway, I agree. You don't need it but ya should have it.
Elliot
Trekkor
Elliot, I hope you mean that a broken t-stat cable leaves the car in a safe position with max cooling available full time. cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 22 2004, 03:13 PM)
Elliot, I hope you mean that a broken t-stat cable leaves the car in a safe position with max cooling available full time. cool_shades.gif

for some reason, i thought it was the OPPOSITE ...

you better check wink.gif
flaps need to be DOWN for max cooling ...
Andy
Trekkor
The car NEVER overheats...Even when I give it the beating of a lifetime! chair.gif biggrin.gif

I can move the flaps by hand and they always snap back into "The Position". cool_shades.gif
MarkV
They fail in the open position. The thermostat on my car was disconnected when I bought it. It doesn't get that cold here either but the car runs way better with the thermostat installed.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 22 2004, 02:13 PM)

Okay. It fails in the "max cool" or "engine hot" position. When the engine is cold it restricts cooling air. When the engine is hot it allows max cooling air. I thought about rigging mine up with a manual adjustment like an aircraft cowl flap. With my luck though, I'd forget to open it and roast my new motor. I installed a new cyl. head temp. gauge that works pretty neat. Easy intallation. Highly recomended.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.