Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need a taco plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Hello everybody!

I took the plunge and got in touch with Big Mark at New Vintage USA and sent him my stock 72 gauges to him for a clean up, LED conversion and am converting to his amazing quad gauge.

He has all the parts I need except for one, a taco plate

Honestly I am not even sure what that part is but first thing that came to my mind was Mexican food...however I know that is not the answer and was hoping some others could help me out here with a simple explanation of what a taco plate is and where I can get one please

My car is a 1972 4 cylinder 1.7L model bored out to 2.2 L and has twin Dellorto 40mm carbs. It has all the stock gauges and has never had a oil pressure or oil temp guage and a voltmeter ever...I am adding these three new gauges in Big Marks Quad gauge for the first time....

Here is a picture of the gauge, if anybody has done this conversion and can offer some help or advice please do so, thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

Jamie beerchug.gif

IPB Image
nsr-jamie
Thanks, I only searched in the garage...Bike Mark is sending me all the sensors and senders. He said I need the Taco plate...so it looks like that piece...part # Taco plate: 039-101-267 is the correct one? Looks like it fits in the bottom of the oil pan...

Do you know if anybody makes a kit with all the correct gaskets and hardware?

Just curious what others are doing when converting from a car with no oil temp and pressure gauges to one with them such as myself with these quad gauges?
type47
I installed a taco sender system on the 1.8 engine in my 74 and swapped the combo gauge for one that has the temp sender in place of the brake warning light. Installing the taco is pretty much plug and play. Just need to know how the gauge works with the sender (power, ground and signal). Yours may vary since you have other "stuff". I have another car with VDO oil pressure connected to the VDO dual sender.
Click to view attachment(small note: I think the grommet for the wire is installed backwards)
nsr-jamie
Thanks! Now its starting to make sense. I was confused at first...

Do you know if these parts are still available new? I see the parts numbers on the other thread you provided.

Or might have to track down a used one, thats going to be nearly impossible in Japan.
jaxdream
Check the classifieds , there is a good looking one there for sale !!!!!!

Jack / Jaxdream
tradisrad
Jamie,
I measure my voltage from the coil.
You will need a VDO dual pressure sender and you have the taco plate answers. VDO also makes a hose to remotly mount the sender these guys have it. You may have a stock wire for the oil temp (I'm not sure if the '72 had them or not) it is in the harness with the fuel pump wires.
jaxdream
QUOTE(tradisrad @ May 2 2011, 07:42 AM) *

Jamie,
You will need a VDO dual pressure sender and you have the taco plate answers. VDO also makes a hose to remotly mount the sender these guys have it. You may have a stock wire for the oil temp (I'm not sure if the '72 had them or not) it is in the harness with the fuel pump wires.

They have that hose kit as NLA , same as a lot of other vendors. Best bet is to get a grease gun hose that will fit block and some sort of clamp to hold the two wire sender to ground to block also . Good Luck......

Jack / Jaxdream
nsr-jamie
Thank you everyone!! That is some excellent information as always. It means a lot to me and will help out as my gauges are just about to arrive...thank you!! Now I finally understand what a taco plate is and the excellent tips too!!

Cheers!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
tradisrad
QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 2 2011, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(tradisrad @ May 2 2011, 07:42 AM) *

Jamie,

They have that hose kit as NLA , same as a lot of other vendors. Best bet is to get a grease gun hose that will fit block and some sort of clamp to hold the two wire sender to ground to block also . Good Luck......

Jack / Jaxdream

I bought my hose last summer from high performance house. I did not notice the NLA at the bus-boys... sorry.
-Rob
nsr-jamie
Hi Rob, thanks for your excellent advice as always...actually I have an order placed with Rich B at HPH right now and just waiting for some parts to come in from Holland so I can ask him about these parts as well and maybe he can help. He is another excellent guy! Thank you Rob!!
rtalich
Billet special... Got it from a guy on thesamba. Not sure if he is making them anymore.
tradisrad
Jamie, you are welcome. I know Rich well and he is a good guy; always has the parts I need. If you ever need it, I can swing by his shop for you.
-Rob
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(rtalich @ May 4 2011, 02:46 AM) *

Billet special... Got it from a guy on thesamba. Not sure if he is making them anymore.

Nice looking part!! You wouldn't happen to know the person or the shop or perhaps some website? What is the samba? Any more info ? Thanks
rtalich
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ May 4 2011, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(rtalich @ May 4 2011, 02:46 AM) *

Nice looking part!! You wouldn't happen to know the person or the shop or perhaps some website? What is the samba? Any more info ? Thanks

Maybe he needs a free plug to start making them again... biggrin.gif

Anyway, the Samba is another VW forum site... www.thesamba.com

The gentlemans name is Phil Eslin and he goes by whip618 on that site. Hope that helps.

-Rob
jaxdream
QUOTE(rtalich @ May 3 2011, 09:46 AM) *

Looks fantastic ( price ??? ) did it seal up real well ?? It does seem to be fairly rigid as far as structure goes . Design allows for cooling , I wonder how that would effect the sensor as far as accuracy ??
Still nice looking as most aluminum billet goes .

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.