Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's missing here....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SpecialK
So I'm bolting the suspension back under the '73 and everything seems to be going just fine. When I crawl from underneath the car I see this gap between the aux. support and the rear control arm support (terminology?). It doesn't show anything there (seal) in the exploded views, but I can't imagine they'd leave a gap for all manner of crude to intrude on the torsion bar. Did I miss something? unsure.gif

Crappy camera, but the red area is the torsion bar.
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
When I did mine I seem to remember a soft foam gasket that went in there. It wasn't very substantial and doesn't look like it will last very long but I guess it helps.
Cheers, Elliot
SpecialK
Yeah, I vaguely remember a crumbly piece of something, but as I recall, and if the Haynes is correct, the rubberish dust seal goes on the back side of the aux. support between it and the adjustment cap. It doesn' t show any seals or gaskets forward of the aux. support. headbang.gif
SpecialK
Okay, here's a pic with an arrow pointing at the gap (about 1/4") and the reddish spot is the side of the torsion bar. Are all of them like this, or is something on the suspension mislocated? confused24.gif
J P Stein
Foam gasket goes in there...I know what blowed up view looks like.....there has been some debate on this. When I disassembled my front suspenders, that's where the foam jobbies were.....the T bars inside were spotless. I put new ones in there to keep my new T bars spotless. biggrin.gif
SpecialK
AAhh....Thank you VERY much JP! It does seem like all of the exploded views of the suspension in every manual/book I've got, are the exact same drawing. It was probably on of those "Doh!" mistakes and too big of a hassle to redraw (pre CAD days)

I'm going to get good at assembling and disassembling front susp's before this is over with. smash.gif
415PB
QUOTE(Special_K @ May 22 2004, 01:33 PM)
When I crawl from underneath the car I see this gap between the aux. support and the rear

I thought you were talking about the gap on your avatar biggrin.gif seriously, I agree with JP
SpecialK
QUOTE(415PB @ May 23 2004, 05:59 AM)
QUOTE(Special_K @ May 22 2004, 01:33 PM)
When I crawl from underneath the car I see this gap between the aux. support and the rear

I thought you were talking about the gap on your avatar biggrin.gif seriously, I agree with JP

No, I know what to use to seal that gap happy11.gif It's the susp. that had my confused confused24.gif

Thanks once again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.