Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Next?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Levi
Well I'm still stumped, Went through all the vacuum lines, Checked the plugs, cap rotor, points, wires.
When I started it up after putting everything back on, it still runs very bad, it cuts out all through the RPM range and the exhaust smells very rich, I unpluged the cold start valve but that made no difference.
The plugs were all sooted up so I'm pretty sure its getting to much fuel.
What do you think I should check next?
Trekkor
What kind of fuel pressure do you have. If it is too high, you may be dumping big fuel into the car at all rpm's.

Just a thought beer.gif
MarkV
Try swapping out the condensor.
Trekkor
Try running the car and choking down the fuel pressure reg until it smooths out to get it close if you don't have a remote fuel pressure guage attacted to the fuel rail test fitting.

d-jet: 28.4-29.6 lb
l-jet: 35+/- 1.4 lb
tat2dphreak
have you checked your compression? my 1.7 was like that, found out it only had 40lbs on 1 cyl...
Rockaria
Like I said before, You might want to make sure the fuel lines bypass the cold start valve. The cold start valve can leak on its own (No electricity needed). Bypass it and see what happens. It only takes a few minutes. But make sure you have a high pressure Coupler.
Levi
QUOTE(Rockaria @ May 22 2004, 06:16 PM)
Like I said before, You might want to make sure the fuel lines bypass the cold start valve.

oops I miss that part, or just didn't pickup on the fact that it could leak without the electrical hooked up
Thanks.. beerchug.gif
Levi
QUOTE(MarkV @ May 22 2004, 05:46 PM)
Try swapping out the condensor.

And the condenser makes it run rich by???? lol2.gif beerchug.gif
Mueller
have you checked the resistance of the CHT?

not too sure what the value should be, but it should change with the motor warming up.

these sites have some L-jet info, hopefully they will help

http://www.conservatory.com/vw/manuals_nyx...L-Jetronic.html

http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/
Levi
You know what... I'm sitting here looking at my Haynes manual trying to figure out how to test the pressure reg. and all of a sudden I remember...doeh..I never pluged the wire harness back onto the air intake sensor....hmm I'll try doing that in the morning...I wonder if that will help....I wonder.... unsure.gif

TO BE CONTINUED
TheCabinetmaker
Have you done a vacuum test on the MPS?
Levi
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 22 2004, 09:48 PM)
Have you done a vacuum test on the MPS?

The what?
Is that manifold pressure sensor? = D-Jet
L-Jet has a Air Intake sensor....Tested....Then not pluged back in..Yet.. headbang.gif
beerchug.gif
415PB
I dont think the 1.8 has an MPS, but then again, I dont know shit about the L-Jet. Levi, take the carbs off the other teener, put them on your daily driver and get her running. I will work on getting you a D-Jet set-up, that way you can convert over. Just a thought.
John
Bad running L-Jet?

Are you sure your crankcase is totally sealed up tight?

The crankcase must not have air leaks (including the oil filler cap). Check the o-rings on the cap as well as everywhere else (valve covers, valve cover vents, oil filler cap, oil filler housing, pvc valve, etc).

I used to run a 1.8 until it developed a knock. I swapped it out in favor of a 2.0 I had laying about.

I would also suggest changing your coil out for a known good one to see if your plugs stay cleaner.

Good luck and hope you find your problem.
TheCabinetmaker
Sorry about that Levi. I forget, ya got L-jet wacko.gif
Levi
QUOTE(415PB @ May 23 2004, 06:02 AM)
I dont think the 1.8 has an MPS, but then again, I dont know shit about the L-Jet. Levi, take the carbs off the other teener, put them on your daily driver and get her running. I will work on getting you a D-Jet set-up, that way you can convert over. Just a thought.

Rod,
I hate FI, this L-jet is fucked up and it seems like only a couple guys know anything about it, But everyone knows about " check for vacuum leaks" so I did and I fixed them and I'm STILL being told to look for them....fuuuck....
I've thought about putting one of the sets of carbs I have on it but, Right now I don't have the funds to throw at the carbs to rebuild them etc...its your proverbial catch 22 kinda thing.
I'll go out in a little while and plug the air sensor back in and see if that does it...I can't beleive I forgot it....doeh... wacko.gif
Rockaria
QUOTE(Levi @ May 23 2004, 12:07 AM)
L-Jet has a Air Intake sensor....Tested....Then not pluged back in..

If the AFM "Air Intake Sensor" (Big box on top with the six pronged connector 1974... 75 has seven prongs) is not plugged in the car will not start at all. Or start once and then die.

If you forgot to plug in the vacuume source at the fuel regulator that would cause a different mixture. But I don't know in what direction or at what RPM.
415PB
QUOTE(Levi @ May 23 2004, 08:25 AM)
...I can't beleive I forgot it....doeh... wacko.gif

It's called "Getting old" Levi........ laugh.gif
Levi
Well I pluged the Air Flow Sensor AFS back in and guess what...It runs like Shit...it will barely run at all, hell it ran better with vacuum leaks.
Now get this, now when I shut the key off the engine keeps running.
Its runs pretty much the same with or without the AFS plugged in, except it shuts off with the key when its unpluged..... headbang.gif

beer3.gif beer.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like a timing problem maybe? Or crossed plugwires?
Levi
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 23 2004, 04:20 PM)
Sounds like a timing problem maybe? Or crossed plugwires?

Nope...Nope...Not those.. lol2.gif
Please try again.. beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Sorry, I can't thiink of anything else that would cause dieseling except timing.

Man, this feels like a test. Hope we pass. biggrin.gif
Levi
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 23 2004, 04:37 PM)
Sorry, I can't thiink of anything else that would cause dieseling except timing.

Man, this feels like a test. Hope we pass. biggrin.gif

lol2.gif lol2.gif
Man if you think it feels like a test you should be in my shoes lol2.gif lol2.gif
I'm sure if this was a D-Jet I'd be done by now... sad.gif

Its not Dieseling, it just doesn't shut off until I move the wiper arm in the AFS over to shut the contacts for the fuel pump, see the AFS is designed to shut off the fuel pump if the engine dies of the key is shut off, this AFS doesn't do that anymore.

Thanks for your input.. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.