Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To wrap or not to wrap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kfish914
I am still working on installing a 2.7 six into my car and I was thinking about wrapping the exhaust to cut down on heat transfer. I have heard that it can't hurt, that it actually keeps the exhaust gases hotter in the pipe.
What do you guys think is it a worthwhile expense or not?
ConeDodger
I have coated all my headers since I wrapped some years ago and found them rusted to death when I removed it...

I'd say coat them. I just had my Tangerine header recoated at a cost of just over $100...
IronHillRestorations
Years ago when I did my first 6 conversion, I had the heat exchangers Jet-Hot coated, but I wrapped the exposed pipes too.
SLITS
I was always told that if you used header wrap the intense heat would crystalize the metal and they would eventually fall apart.

Eventually was never defined.

We wrapped our race headers.
ME733
Remember,....If any engine oil leaks into/or on the exhaust wrap you will have a source for FIRE., I have seen this happen...Jet coat or ceramic coat your exhaust system...remember to allow for the pipe slip on connection on the ends of the pipes , the very last 1-1.5 inches should not be coated.
Drums66
QUOTE(ME733 @ May 2 2011, 04:18 PM) *

Remember,....If any engine oil leaks into/or on the exhaust wrap you will have a source for FIRE., I have seen this happen...Jet coat or ceramic coat your exhaust system...remember to allow for the pipe slip on connection on the ends of the pipes , the very last 1-1.5 inches should not be coated.

...Good tip man! idea.gif
bye1.gif
kfish914
agree.gif
I sure don't want this car to go up in flames after all the years sitting in the garage.
Can the average guy do this coating at home or is it better just to find some where that does it??
VaccaRabite
Find a shop. Ceramic coating is a little more involved then simple powder coating.

Zach
Krank

I'd say coat them. I just had my Tangerine header recoated at a cost of just over $100...

Just a thought...at .50/ft, how much is it to wrap the pipes anyway? I would think you use a fair bit of it, maybe not 100 bucks worth but I don't think it lasts as long either.
whatabout1
Every header I have wrapped has rusted and it didn't take long.
Wrapping was the trick back in the days before ceramic became affordable.

Ceramic coating is the way to go. If you like the wrapped look then coat 1st.
Mike Bellis
I had a set of V8 headers grenade on me. They were 14ga, I had them wraped for 1 year with no problems. On a trip back from SoCal the came apart at the head flange. They exploded! Pieces everywhere. I drove for 5 hours open header (open HEAD!) on I-5. When I got home, I could barely hear anything... Wrap will make the steel brittle. Make sure your muffler hangers are sturdy and no extra weight is put on the headers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 2 2011, 02:53 PM) *
I'd say coat them.

agree.gif

That's what i'm running ...
JamesM
On my eurorace headers i first tried wrap and then later had them jet-hot coated.

Don't waste time with the wrap.

Jet-hot blocks the heat much better and makes the pipes last near forever, plus it looks amazing.

Also, don't wrap the pipes after you coat them, supposedly its bad for the coating.
Elliot Cannon
Coat them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.