Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crazy Carb question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
monkeyboy
I have a couple of motorcycle carbs laying around. Nice ones. I have a pair of FCR 41 mm carbs. This is what the high end race bikes ran before they went FI.

Here's my dumb idea...
I have a set of 2 into 1 manifolds, and some carb spacers that fit them. I can have a muffler shop weld me up a 45 to the manifold and then I can use a silicone hose to mount the carb to the manifold. I can then make some sort of brace, but I will need to figure that out once the manifold is done.

They have two place cable wheels on them already so I can make a single cable with the motorcycle adjuster on the first carb, and then an adjustable crossover cable on the second. Sort of like the new cable linkage that people are making for the regular Weber carbs.

These carbs are new, highly adjustable, and jets are available freely at any motorcycle shop.

Can anyone blow holes in this idea? Why won't it work?

The only thing I can think of is that the 41's may be too large for my stock 2 liter. I could build a bigger motor later if that's a problem smile.gif

Any thoughts?
IPB Image
This is a 39, but the carbs look the same on the outside other than the sticker.
r_towle
go for it...post pics.

Rich
914itis
agree.gif
jaxdream
What kind of fuel pump would you use ?? Were these gravity feed or pressure fed ?? Sill worth a shot , you already have them , know what and how to adjust . Heck , I would give it a try . Let us know if you do and the results . Not a real bad idea.

Jack / Jaxdream
McMark
Sounds like a great idea. I bet the VW Type 3 guys would love something like this if it worked because you could easily keep it all under the lid. It would make a nice low setup and you could build a common air box in the middle with a shared air filter. idea.gif

I like it!
stugray
I actually considered doing the same thing using the new Mikunis (modern stromberg/SU replacement).

If you get an original manifold from a single carb type IV setup, you could cut the pipes to make side draft adapters.

Stu
dirk9141973
smoke.gif
QUOTE(McMark @ May 3 2011, 08:51 AM) *

Sounds like a great idea. I bet the VW Type 3 guys would love something like this if it worked because you could easily keep it all under the lid. It would make a nice low setup and you could build a common air box in the middle with a shared air filter. idea.gif

I like it!

You got me thinking what about the motorcycle engine never seen that in thread but ???
IronHillRestorations
I'm guessing the important thing would be to make sure the intakes had the right cfm's to match the engine displacement, port size, and carb size.

Great idea that would be very cool if it works well!!
Mark Henry
Wait a minute! Wouldn't that be stealing Slowtwitch's Sync-Link cable system?
Don might not like that!
wink.gif
jaxdream
Nope , Honda , Yamaha , Suszuki , etc , even Harley used the wheel / bellcrank setup on the scooters for a while , pull -pull dual cable setup. Got one on my S&S Super mounted on my 80 ci 76 FLH . Though I could be teribbly wrong and probably start another monkey poo slinging thread , of which I DON'T want any part of , period.

Jack / Jaxdream
monkeyboy
Yup. I'm actually looking at MC cables to see what will work. That's how I plan on doing it.
jaxdream
QUOTE(McMark @ May 3 2011, 08:51 AM) *

I like it!

Possibly use the weber 34 ICT manifolds , hog em out some for volume. Could be wrong as hell though .
I got a set of these for a Type 3 which is why I added to your post McMark , no harm intended.

Jack / Jaxdream
monkeyboy
Again, that's what I have. Not going to hog anything out until I have the carbs bolted to the manifolds. Need to talk to some welders this weekend and go from there.
JmuRiz
Oooooo flat-slides, very cool!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 3 2011, 02:44 PM) *

Nope , Honda , Yamaha , Suszuki , etc , even Harley used the wheel / bellcrank setup on the scooters for a while , pull -pull dual cable setup. Got one on my S&S Super mounted on my 80 ci 76 FLH . Though I could be teribbly wrong and probably start another monkey poo slinging thread , of which I DON'T want any part of , period.

Jack / Jaxdream

It's said with a winky....monkeyboy flinging monkey poo lol-2.gif
Woody
Looks like a setup off a Ducati. popcorn[1].gif
stugray
Here's the mikuni website just for comparison:

http://www.mikuni.com/fs-products_guides.html

IPB Image

My brother runs them on his TR4 and they work FAR better than the Strombergs and easier to adjust.
I have a set of the single carb manifolds if you are interested.

I also thought about the common air filter box.
If you did it right, the two carbs would be almost facing each other making for an easy air box with a nice big circular air filter on top.

Stu

SirAndy
You can't carb a 914! rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(stugray @ May 3 2011, 12:55 PM) *
I also thought about the common air filter box.
If you did it right, the two carbs would be almost facing each other making for an easy air box with a nice big circular air filter on top.

agree.gif
Ductech
Woody your damn skippy those are aftermarket for a 900 desmodue motor. Those carbs would be more than enough flow for a 900 cc two valve twin. would it be enough carb for a 914 motor?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ May 2 2011, 10:55 PM) *

The only thing I can think of is that the 41's may be too large for my stock 2 liter. I could build a bigger motor later if that's a problem smile.gif

They are a tad big for a 1800 (comparing to stock 1800 with carbs), not to far off for a 2.0, might be a bit of a choke on a bigger engine like a 2270 with a cam.
monkeyboy
Sounds like they may be just right then.
Woody
QUOTE(Ductech @ May 4 2011, 09:53 AM) *

Woody your damn skippy those are aftermarket for a 900 desmodue motor. Those carbs would be more than enough flow for a 900 cc two valve twin. would it be enough carb for a 914 motor?

I have a Monster 900 with Ferrachi high comps. I would love some FCRs.
monkeyboy
Progress report...

I have the manifolds being made tomorrow... I am getting some tube bent by an exhaust shop and welded to some flanges I have that match my manifolds.

I went today and purchased two silicone hoses to mount the carbs to the manifolds motorcycle style. I will be making some braces for the carbs as soon as the manifolds are done so they don't carry all the weight on the silicone hoses.

I also purchased a couple of quad throttle cables for FCR's. The have the barrels and adjusters for the registers on the FCR's. I did have to fabricate a bracket to take some of the slack from the cable running to the second carb, but it's working smooth now. The pull even and smooth.

When I get things mounted to the motor I will take some pictures and get a parts list for those interested.
sww914
It's likely to be a lot better than a lot of the stupid shit I've seen with Webers & Dellortos. Both are like bitchy little girls at best. Dellortos are a lot like a tweeker chick. Seemed like a good idea for a 1/2 second but it's not going to end well AT ALLLL!
monkeyboy
Got my manifold tubes bent this morning, and have all the hardware to mount the carbs. Just need to get the tubes welded to the flanges on Monday.

Next week I will be starting on the bracket to hold the throttle cable to the case, and then I can work on mounting it to my stock 914 cable.

I think I am going to pick up a set of the FCR idle mixture thumbscrews. They replace the idle mixture screws in the bottom of the float with thumbscrews so you can make adjustments without a screwdriver. That should help me a ton since I am not sure I will be able to get a screwdriver in without loosening the carbs and twisting them up.

I am starting to look for an O2 sensor for tuning as well.

Progress is happening.
914itis
piratenanner.gif keep up with the progress thread
Derek Seymour
Just a suggestion. Run velocity stacks with filters.

http://www.throttlehand.com/blog/?p=2626

Looks cooler.

Or plumb a K&N box from a simple panel air filter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.