Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris H.
A recent, thread I saw had some dicey opinions of the Pertronix, although not the original topic of the thread.

What do you all think? I bought one a while back and was thinking about putting it in this weekend.

The thing that sucks is it seems like there are 2 basic opinions:

1. "They suck and I have replaced x number this year and now have my points back in"

2. "I've had one in for x years and it's great"

Is the defect rate that high? I don't want to "downgrade", but I've also heard a lot of good things about them. I don't have personal experience so I welcome your opinions.

Thanks for the help,

Chris
anthony
Maybe we should have a Pertronix poll?

I put one in and it hasn't been a problem - going on 8 months now. I had a wandering dwell so the Pertronix made the car run noticeably better.

It was a bitch to install in my 2L distributor. It's more of a universal fit type product and doesn't perfectly adapt to every distributor. It took me over an hour although I could do it in 15 minutes now.

One problem for me was that the plastic plug that the wires go through was impossible to fit into the distributor body. After struggling, I took an Exacto knife to it and made it fit. I also had problems with the magnetic sleeve that goes over the distributor shaft. It took a substantial amount of effort to get it to snap down low enough. During installation I ruined a $20 rev limiter rotor because this ring wasn't far down enough.

Because of all the reported problems I do carry points, a screw driver, and a feeler gauge in the glove box.

John Larson, an experienced ex-Porsche mechanic who posts a lot on Rennlist, has recommended over and over the Crane X-700 or the Compufire unit. If I was going to buy again I'd probably buy one of those.

The other thing I've seen suggested is that Pertronix failures are usually related to user installation problems like not routing the wires correctly so that don't bind, or leaving the ignition key in the on position for an extended period of time (that will kill a Pertronix). Still, it's scary to buy a product that so many people have had a problem with.
Brad Roberts
Chris,

I think what your are hearing.. is people who dont know their ass from a hole in the ground trying to install these things. The ONE I have had fail... was installed incorrectly with rubbing wires.

I run both the Pertronix and the Crane setup. The Crane setup feels more "cheesy" than the Pertronix.

Buy it. Install it. Drive it.

B
Chris H.
Thanks guys for taking the time to reply. You're "real life" experiences are appreciated.

I figured a good portion were fried on the way in, but I didn't take into account that some people might leave their key on in the ignition as well. Good points Brad and Anthony.

I'll stick it in Saturday!

Thanks,

Chris
Kerrys914
I have had one installed for 6 months now and have had no known problems..

I do freak out and run to the car if it dies when idling in the driveway..Don't want to burn up the unit smile.gif I have not heard how long it takes so I am sticking to about 10 sec MAX in the on possition without running, so far so good.

I do hate the fact that when I walk away from my car when it's running I have to keep a keen ear to the engine, just incase sad.gif

I have never adjusted points before so if it fails It will be in the dark and a fun learning exp.

I have also heard Pertronix stands behind there units and has replaced them with a new unit in the event of a failure. tis is of course 2-3-4 hand info.

I guess a spare Pertronix would be a good Idea if I had the extra cabbage. $60 vs a tow charge and time on the side of the road? mueba.gif

Cheers
Kerry

beer.gif
Mike D.
I've had the CompuFire unit in my 2.0 for going on 6 years. No problems...knock wood.

-Mike D.
RustyWa
I just installed a Pertronix about a month ago. Smoothed out my idle and timing is much more stable. The wires are a tight fit through the distributer body and grommet, lub them up to get them through.

Also, do yourself a favor and remove the distributer. That way your not bending over trying to fish the wires.
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Apr 16 2003, 11:12 AM)
I've had the CompuFire unit in my 2.0 for going on 6 years. No problems...knock wood.

-Mike D.

Do you have the stock distributor in your 2.0? Compufire's web page says they make the points replacement module for 050 & 009 distributors.
Mike D.
CompuFire makes two versions. The labels on the box say "WITH" or "WITHOUT" vacuum advance. I just used the one for vacuum advance. And like the pertronix, the gromet for the dizzy side doesn't fit. They are around $60.
-Mike D.
J P Stein
I'm looking forward to having my Pertronix puke so's I can get one of those other "trick" units. I've been anticipating this for 3-4 years now....it's really starting to piss me off. mad.gif
Bruce Allert
JP, I'll come over & throw the camera at it... (inside joke)! cool.gif
"Grab the gawdamthing!"
bruce beer.gif
Brad Roberts
Dont fight the grommet for the Pertronix. Cut the leads and slide them thru it. I use a small zip tie to hold the grommet together instead of trying to force it inside the housing.

B
Chris H.
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 16 2003, 01:41 PM)
Dont fight the grommet for the Pertronix. Cut the leads and slide them thru it. I use a small zip tie to hold the grommet together instead of trying to force it inside the housing.

B

Now that's a hell of a good idea there. Sounds like you might have installed a few hundred of these before Brad.....

Chris
Brad Roberts
Just make sure you have two electrical female connecters and some crimpers close by.

They send you a 2 piece rubber grommet that slips together. It gets tighter the farther you slip it together... then you can use your old condensor holder (small bracket) to clip into the outside of the grommet...or use a tiny zip tie to squeeze it.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.