Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone here make Lexan windows?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
I am wondering about doing some lexan wing, rear, and side windows and maybe even windshields. (Yes, these will be race car only windows).

Anyone here ever worked with Lexan? beerchug.gif

Do we have much of a market need for this? I'm not looking to do a ton, actually only want to do it for myself but thinking others may be interested.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 2 2011, 10:54 PM) *

I am wondering about doing some lexan wing, rear, and side windows and maybe even windshields. (Yes, these will be race car only windows).

Anyone here ever worked with Lexan? beerchug.gif

Do we have much of a market need for this? I'm not looking to do a ton, actually only want to do it for myself but thinking others may be interested.

Ive worked with both Lexan and Makrolon. They are really just brand names for polycarbonate sheet and rod produced by Sabic and Bayer. Both have the same forming properties.

Whats the point of making them yourself when you can buy side and rear lites in Makrolon Polycarbonate (Perspex) pre-made for the 914 for around $100- $110 each? Your own setup cost would not really be cost effective even if you just had to make the templates alone. Lexan is really outdated now. It is great for impacts but poor on weathering (UV degradation) and flame retardent certification. The base resins used in Makrolon are superior for safety, hardness and clarity.

I like your avatar tag line. Yup... there is always more!
PeeGreen 914
So where do I go to find these guys that do it per spec? I want a windshield, one piece side window x 2, and a rear window.

I would rather by a nice product made by someone who does this regularly but it could be fun to learn.
Hontec
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 3 2011, 04:50 PM) *

So where do I go to find these guys that do it per spec? I want a windshield, one piece side window x 2, and a rear window.

I would rather by a nice product made by someone who does this regularly but it could be fun to learn.

Plastics4performance makes the best macrolon/lexan windows I have ever seen, thermoformed super fit windows, you can add just about anything you want, from sliders to naca ducts and they have the 914 in their program...... You won't find better ones then these.

www.plastics4performance.com

You can also order them from www.r-developments.com, Owner's name is Bas, he is the importer for these in europe, he will ship anywhere..tell him Randall sent you, I know him well...
PeeGreen 914
Thanks Randall beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
Whole kit from these guys is $1075 smile.gif

Pro Glass
rohar
The rear window can definately be a DIY project. I've done it on a number of VWs. The rear window is flat so all that needs done is to cut a sheet to the right shape.

Simply take the old window out, duct tape the hell out of it (but not the edges). Then I double sided taped a piece of cardboard to one side just for added precaution and double sided taped the lexan to the other. I use seamstress tape. Lots of it. It's sticky enough to keep everything together, but fairly easy to remove.

CAREFULLY run a router with a collet (not a roller bit it'll break the glass) around the edge.

Pull it all apart and sand/torch the edges to smooth them out and install.

Then sell the old window on e-bay/craigslist to pay for the whole mess wink.gif
campbellcj
I did my own rear window. It was easy although I didn't take all that much time/care since the edges are not visible and it's a track car as well.

For curved pieces, especially a windshield, I would definitely go with a top-notch supplier. I've kept my OE windshield and simply removed the side glass altogether.
PeeGreen 914
WHat does your car weight Chris?
PeeGreen 914
My goal is to get the racecar down below 1700 to 1600lbs and place the 100 to 200 in places I see fit down low. I'm not sure if I will be able to get that but I am going to try biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.