Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Should I go with the new style ghost reflector, or should I go with the traditional style? Here is what the ghost reflector looks like on the car. The car will be painted Charcoal metalic so it should really set it off nice. What is everyones opinions?
lagunero
looks good. I've always liked the reflector on a body modified 914 e.g. kits.
415PB
Very nice...Go ghost all the way.
Levi
IMEO.. biggrin.gif It looks like shit..But honestly its probably just a bad picture.....What do U think?
I like those reflectors and I guess I've never noticed that there is 2 types.
I'm sure that one looks good though...just a shitty photographer, I'd fire his ass.. laugh.gif

As ole Don buddy would say..
"Your Fired"... lol2.gif lol2.gif
anthony
While the rear reflector looks good I'd never install one on any of my cars. I wouldn't want to drill holes and then there's the issue of getting into the trunk. You either have to go with the solenoid or drill a hole in the reflector for the lock (which looks terrible). And if you go with the solenoid you need to figure out how to deal with it when it malfunctions.
Joe Bob
Make sure you drill a small hole in that reflector so that you can open the lid WHEN, not IF, the remote solenoid or the cable breaks.....

A nail or a straight piece of coat hanger will be your best friend. They may look nice....but to me they are the dumber options that are put on the cars..... headbang.gif

BTW....
A good place to put the remote button is under the bumper or license plate so that you can push down on the rear lid when it gets stuck....which it WILL....

BTW2.....
The pull cable is best to be hanging out the back as well.....

Or else you can be confident in your 914 will be recognized as a PORSCHE by not putting the stupid thing on in the first place.....

My opinion only...it's YOUR car....you can tell me to pissoff.gif , but you would need to stand in line..... w00t.gif
skline
I do have the solenoid for the release and I am going to drop a wire in case it fails, been there done that aleady, but drilling the holes was not an issue considering the PO had repaired the rear panel with about 1/4 inch of bondo. I am using the reflector to hide his crappy body work. The fact that it is the Ghost reflector is a plus. I am also putting the Boxster S emblems on the back after its painted. It will be fun driving along on the freeway and blowing the doors off a new Boxster like he was a Pinto.
skline
I love your avatar Mike, I think I will change mine to something that moves too.
thomasotten
Why do you call that a "new ghost style" reflector? That looks like the reflector I have always have, which in reality is just a cut-down 911 reflector.

Also, don't go with the solenoid, they suck. Sometimes, even when they do "pop" the trunk, the trunk is too heavy for it. I took mine of and ordered the mechanical release. I ran it all the way into the cabin, and made it come out right next to the engine lid release.
skline
It woulndt let me upload the avatar like yours, it said "you are not allowed to upload that type of avatar" So I put up the new VW concept car. Like a new 914.
skline
QUOTE(thomasotten @ May 23 2004, 05:33 PM)
Why do you call that a "new ghost style" reflector? That looks like the reflector I have always have, which in reality is just a cut-down 911 reflector.

Also, don't go with the solenoid, they suck. Sometimes, even when they do "pop" the trunk, the trunk is too heavy for it. I took mine of and ordered the mechanical release. I ran it all the way into the cabin, and made it come out right next to the engine lid release.

It is a cut down 911 but there were a few different styles. The early which had black lettering and the newer style with the silver lettering, it gives it a ghost effect as its not always visible, depends on the angle you are looking at it.
skline
Here it is looking from a different angle. You almost cant even see the PORSCHE in there.
Aaron Cox
hey scott. i like it! looks better than the black.
p.s. - jared ever make it over there today?
Joe Bob
Use this one.....same gal....
silver six
The reflectors in general look awsome. That is the look that the 914 should have had to begin with. I especially like the ghost reflector. It is more understated, and thus, in my mind, more in the tradition of a Porsche aesthetic. Go ghost.

Douglas
415PB
QUOTE(mikez @ May 23 2004, 05:24 PM)

LMFAO......Mike you kill me laugh.gif
mikester
I don't like the cut ones - they are rarely cut well and always look cut.
thomasotten
Picture of the mechanical release kit.

Sorry for the poor picture, this was taken a few years ago, before my 914's 7 year dormition. I will take some better photos with my digital camera next weekend if you like.

Thomas
Elliot_Cannon
Scott,
Quit dickin around with reflectors and get the damn car ready!! biggrin.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot
skline
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 23 2004, 09:16 PM)
Scott,
Quit dickin around with reflectors and get the damn car ready!! biggrin.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot

Well, the reflector and euro tail lights are all part of getting it ready. Its dark now and I did get stuff accomplished today. The front rotors and brakes and everything on the front suspension is done. The radiator is going in tomorrow with teh hoses and ducting. I will be installing the rear axles probably on Wednesday and then the engine..... Maybe this weekend with any luck. Jared came by today and helped out some. Thanks again. Yes Aaron he was here and got the hubs for you plus a bunch of other parts.
skline
QUOTE(mikester @ May 23 2004, 07:34 PM)
I don't like the cut ones - they are rarely cut well and always look cut.

Well, the cut one on mine is all you will ever see..... That is only if I slow down enough for you to catch up to me. Besides, you are in a taildragger now, they dont have cut down ones for yours. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif finger.gif
skline
QUOTE(mikez @ May 23 2004, 06:24 PM)

It let me do that one, Its ok but I really wanted to do one that I have on my computer but for somereason, it would not take it. This will do for now.
415PB
Found this one Scott....Lets see if it works.
tat2dphreak
for a thread that's actually ABOUT cars, there are a lot of boobies here biggrin.gif

I like the reflectors, I have one with black lettering to put on... I dig the "ghost one" too though, I think it looks sweet!
reverie
I saw a new "ghost" one last weekend.. it is nicely understated.

Instead of a solenoid or cable, I just use a piece of good-quality wire coat hanger to pop the latch
through the little hole.. it's pretty easy, but it doesn't impress anybody. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.