Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK to use trans as Jacking point
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thesey914
I think I remember somewhere on pelican that this knackers your trans. mounts.
My mounts are perished anyway but when I replace 'em I don't want to damage the new ones.
My garage is only a single so getting the jack round to the side and having enough room to operate is not really feasible -its a pro jack with a long lever.

I wish English houses had garages like the ones I see you guys post with room for 3 trucks.

Incidentally can the 911 mounts be used for the gearbox ?
SirAndy
i slide the jack in from the back all the way to the front motor mount bar and jack up there. works for me ...

Andy
airsix
I jack under my tranny (directly under the mounts) all the time, but I've got solid mounts. Maybe someone will chastise me now that I've gone public. I don't know if it kills the stock mounts or not. We'll see what people say.

You can use the 911 engine mounts to replace the 914 tranny mounts. Most prefer to use the 911 sport mounts because they are stiffer resulting in better shifting due to less...uhh... shifting. I mean to say better gear changes due to less engine/tranny movement. Yeah, that's what I meant.

-Ben M.
SirAndy
if you have the stock (rubber) mounts, the whole weight of the car will sit on that piece of rubber. and they tend to break sad.gif
no problem with solid mounts ...

if you have a low jack that moves a lot with a single pull (or push?),
the front motor mount is the better place. the bar is directly attached to the body
and you don't put any load on the rubber engine mounts ...

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.