Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chicago area repairs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob
Hi.
I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I just bought a '74 914 2.0. The prev. owner had only had the car for a short while and did not know much about it. It was repainted, Bursch exhaust, changed from FI to carb, and had some other work done by owner before him. Unfortunatley, there is no documentation.
Rob
Sorry, gremlins.
I have 2 questions. 1. How do I ID the carb setup.
2. Does anyone know a reliable mechanic in Chicago (the city itself, or the 'burbs.)

I would appreciate any help as this is my first porsche or vw.
GaroldShaffer
Not really in the Burbs but in East Peroia there is Brad Mayeur (914 Limited). One of the best 914 mechanics you will fine. Been working on them since these cars were new. Give him a call at 309-694-1797.

Good luck.

- Garold
GaroldShaffer
Sorry forgot to say welcome to the club. Also want to invite you to:

The Windy City 9:14 breakfast

When: June 12th

Where:

IHOP at 14860 S. La Grange Road
Orland Park, IL 60462-3229
(708) 873-0760

Please come if you can. It doesn't matter how your car looks, if it runs, or even if you have one. Hope you can make it.

- Garold
STL914
Welcome.

agree.gif

I agree with Garold. Brad Mayeur is the guy to speak to here in the Midwest. I've been going to Brad with all of my major work since I bought my first 914 from him back in '97. My 3-1/2 hour drives to Brad's place is always worth the efort. I call Brad if I have a problem
and he's always happy to help.
Rob
Thanks for the help. I already had a hard time finding anyone willing to do even routine simple things for it. I can do some things, but condos neighbors scream if a car is being worked on in the parking lot. wacko.gif

does anyone have info on the FI to carb conversion?
I would like to see how it was done.
Thanks.
lmcchesney
When I lived in Chicago, I was roped into taking my 914 to the German shop on Jefferson Rd in the burbs. Gunter worked on my 914. Put in burned out FI injector from a bus. Adjusted the valves so that they did not clack and got a burned #3 valve. I could never find a reliable, safe, knowledgeable shop in the Chicago area. Without reservation, the trip to Peoria is well worth the time. If nothing else but to meet Brad. I have nothing but admiration and respect for Brad. The man developed the word honesty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.