Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket Head studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tscrihfield
I am in search of some Head studs. Out of all of the engine parts that are available I am suprised that head studs arent as easy to find...Although I am still waiting on the return of my heads....STILL... I have everything else to the point of needing them... I am building a type IV 2.0. Any point in the right direction would be great!

Thanks,
Thomas
VaccaRabite
You are building a 2.0?
Are you doing something crazy with it that would require different studs?
If you are using cast iron cylinders, the expensive studs won't give you all that much.

Zach
Chris Hamilton
Use some good stock ones and don't over-torque them.

If you clamp the heads down any harder you will blow head gaskets when everything gets hot and expands.
Jake Raby
We run stock studs to 11;1 CR with iron cylinders. Retain stock head torques and roll with the stock studs.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 3 2011, 09:39 PM) *

We run stock studs to 11;1 CR with iron cylinders. Retain stock head torques and roll with the stock studs.

Not building anything too over the top. I am just so used to building Domestic engines and APR are a staple when building them. I have been trying to benchmark as much as I can from others builds and I have your DVD to guide. I just wanted to know because I would rather have overkill then not enough. So many time in the past I have built engines and it doesnt take long to find the weak point. So far I think that I have eliminated the weak points along with the replacement of everything minus blocks. I have H beam rods since I hear that the stockers can get weak. I replaced the valve seats. Stainless exhaust valves... and changed out the oil plugs with thread in. Any other weak points that I didnt mention that you may chime in on? I am really open to anything. I want the most reliable engine I can build.

Thanks,
Thomas
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.