Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.6 mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Loser_Cruiser
Just wondering who else makes a 3.6 six mount besides pms or if theirs is the best.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 3 2011, 04:20 PM) *

Just wondering who else makes a 3.6 six mount besides pms or if theirs is the best.

Rich Johnson

a914guy -at- aol.com

thumb3d.gif
pcar916
Your gonna change to a single-row crank pulley right? The 3.6 uses a double-row pulley that's too wide for standard mounts. Having done that the alternator/fan pulley has to be replaced as well since the original is a dual-speed unit with a bearing to take up the difference.
I've been using the PMS bar for many years but would use a firewall mount (like Rich Johnson's) if doing it again. But I like that it weighs practically nothing and is out of the way of the shifter, but the outer mount bosses ride low and scrape driveway curbs a lot. Once they scrape PMS won't honor the warranty.
AZ914
FWIW, I think all the new PMS mounts are firewall mounts.
patssle
But I like that it weighs practically nothing and is out of the way of the shifter,

Is that a con of the PMS mount, is it in the way of the shifter?

Need to purchase my /6 mount for my 3.0L, need to decide between PMS and RJ.
GeorgeRud
I have a RJ mount, but also looked at the PMS mounting system. If it is a racecar that needs to have the transmission taken out often, I think the PMS would be the way to go. For a street car, the RJ mount is very nice.

Actualy, I didn't mind my old QuickSix mount, but it wouldn't fit when I converted to heat exchangers instead of headers.
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(pcar916 @ May 3 2011, 05:12 PM) *

Your gonna change to a single-row crank pulley right? The 3.6 uses a double-row pulley that's too wide for standard mounts. Having done that the alternator/fan pulley has to be replaced as well since the original is a dual-speed unit with a bearing to take up the difference.
I've been using the PMS bar for many years but would use a firewall mount (like Rich Johnson's) if doing it again. But I like that it weighs practically nothing and is out of the way of the shifter, but the outer mount bosses ride low and scrape driveway curbs a lot. Once they scrape PMS won't honor the warranty.

I was planning on using the conversion pully from patrick, if anything to reduce the rotating mass.

I just wasn't sure if the other six mounts were compatible with a 3.6 because most say from 2.0 to 3.0 liters ( I think) or they just dont seem to specifically list the 3.6.

Does anyone have an idea of what a rich johnson mount runs? I pretty much spent my monthly car budget on the tranny rebuild clinic, jwest shift linkage and some 944 suspension for a super beetle. Just want to plan ahead smile.gif getting anxious.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 3 2011, 09:43 PM) *

I was planning on using the conversion pully from patrick, if anything to reduce the rotating mass.

I plan on pulling my 3.6 in the next couple of weeks to change wiring harnesses and installing a stock size crank pulley. If you want to buy my PMS pulley, let me know, it's got 6k miles on it.

Just an FYI, there is not much difference in rotating mass but you gain a couple of HP at the expense of cooling.
Loser_Cruiser
Thanks for the offer but like I said, my car budget is already tapped out for this month. I made sure to spend it all real quick biggrin.gif Also, I have a 964 3.6, I see that PMS offers one for 993's and a different one for 964's. which do you have?
mepstein
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 4 2011, 12:43 AM) *

QUOTE(pcar916 @ May 3 2011, 05:12 PM) *

I just wasn't sure if the other six mounts were compatible with a 3.6 because most say from 2.0 to 3.0 liters ( I think) or they just dont seem to specifically list the 3.6.

Does anyone have an idea of what a rich johnson mount runs? I pretty much spent my monthly car budget on the tranny rebuild clinic, jwest shift linkage and some 944 suspension for a super beetle. Just want to plan ahead smile.gif getting anxious.

Contact Rich directly. He gave me a good deal on the mount and hardware.
gopack

I want his car budget!!!!!!!!! I'm lucky if i can spend $200 a month on my car, which slows down the rebuild.
ellisor3
Here is a photo of the PMS mount for my 3.2, if this helps.
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(gopack @ May 4 2011, 05:28 AM) *

I want his car budget!!!!!!!!! I'm lucky if i can spend $200 a month on my car, which slows down the rebuild.

It looks like my budget is gonna be reduced here fairly soon as the old lady and I have started looking at rings. Just in time for summer lol.
AZ914
The Rich Johnson bulkhead mount with all the mounting hardware retails for 450, according to the member vendor's forum.
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 3 2011, 10:03 PM) *
I plan on pulling my 3.6 in the next couple of weeks to change wiring harnesses and installing a stock size crank pulley. If you want to buy my PMS pulley, let me know, it's got 6k miles on it.

Just an FYI, there is not much difference in rotating mass but you gain a couple of HP at the expense of cooling.

agree.gif

That's on my todo list as well. As my car is still mostly street driven, i'd rather have help in the cooling department over 3 more HP.
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.