Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let the Blasting Begin!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Cool.

I asked the guy how many CFM his compressor puts out.

700cfm@170psi. huh.gif
jaxdream
Dood , ya gots a frog man on your property biggrin.gif !!! Looks great and efficent .

Jack / Jaxdream
bugsy0
Have you any pics of the soda "hopper"? How much media does he use to, say, remove all the paint from the door? That's a lot-o-cfm
Series9
He brought 12 50-pound bags of soda and was probably going to run out, so I ran to Daytona and picked up 7 more bags.

Here's how the bottom is going:

Zimms
Would you mind sharing the cost? I am trying to get an idea of what a competitive rate is.
Series9
In action.

I think he said the hopper will hold 150#.

Series9
QUOTE(Zimms @ May 4 2011, 01:08 PM) *

Would you mind sharing the cost? I am trying to get an idea of what a competitive rate is.

I was quoted $900, but he's already whining about the difficulty to remove the factory coatings.

I'll let you know the total when he drives away.

Series9
How cool is this.

Here's a close-up of the inside structure of the rear deck.

I assume this is a logo from the steel factory:

SirAndy
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 4 2011, 10:29 AM) *
I assume this is a logo from the steel factory

thumb3d.gif
FourBlades

That is awesome.

I'd like to know how many hours the whole thing takes.

Do they make house calls?

How is the soda working on rusty areas?

John
balljoint
1. What is all that silvery material underneath the paint? smile.gif

2. Are there any environmental concerns over the paint dust?
Series9
QUOTE(FourBlades @ May 4 2011, 01:52 PM) *

That is awesome.

I'd like to know how many hours the whole thing takes.

Do they make house calls?

How is the soda working on rusty areas?

John

They do make house calls and you're a lot closer to him than me. He lives off 192 between St. Cloud and Melbourne. However, it's not very neighbor friendly. It's very noisy and I'm probably going to need to buy some beer for my industrial park neighbors.

He thought it would take about 4 hours, but it's going to be more like 7.

This chassis isn't rusty, but the soda doesn't really remove rust. The media would have to be more abrasive.

Here's a little rust on the rear deck:

Series9
QUOTE(balljoint @ May 4 2011, 01:54 PM) *

1. What is all that silvery material underneath the paint? smile.gif

2. Are there any environmental concerns over the paint dust?

The soda is harmless, but I hadn't really thought about the paint particles. confused24.gif
Series9
More:

SirAndy
Seems like it would almost be better to do inside a booth? confused24.gif

Anywho, i'm leaning towards soda blasting for my original /6. It's either that or acid dipping ...
chowtime.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2011, 02:53 PM) *

Seems like it would almost be better to do inside a booth? confused24.gif

Anywho, i'm leaning towards soda blasting for my original /6. It's either that or acid dipping ...
chowtime.gif

I researched both methods and the problem with acid dip with a unibody car is that the acid will enter body cavities through the seams of the car or rust areas and not get flushed out or neutralized. Then your car rusts quicker from the inside out.

SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 4 2011, 12:07 PM) *
I researched both methods and the problem with acid dip with a unibody car is that the acid will enter body cavities through the seams of the car or rust areas and not get flushed out or neutralized. Then your car rusts quicker from the inside out.

I've heard that for years. The last car i saw that was dipped then sat outside(!) in primer for two years. While there was some surface rust from sitting, there was no evidence of seeping acid rust. As far as i know, they submerge the car for several hours in the neutralizing bath. I don't see any reason why acid would get into cavities the neutralizing solution can't.

stirthepot.gif
Mr.242
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 4 2011, 10:06 AM) *

He brought 12 50-pound bags of soda and was probably going to run out, so I ran to Daytona and picked up 7 more bags.

So a possible ton of material will need to be cleaned up?

Let me know how all that paint particles and factory undercoating is at being cleaned up. I've heard that you just water down the soda and it's GREEN to go down the drain. But the paint..... confused24.gif

I am enjoying this popcorn[1].gif
Series9
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ May 4 2011, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ May 4 2011, 10:06 AM) *

So a possible ton of material will need to be cleaned up?

Let me know how all that paint particles and factory undercoating is at being cleaned up. I've heard that you just water down the soda and it's GREEN to go down the drain. But the paint..... confused24.gif

I am enjoying this popcorn[1].gif

The undercoating was already removed and 19x50= half a ton.

Leaf blower and a dust mask. w00t.gif

He warned me AFTER we started that the grass may "yellow a bit".....
Series9
Almost finished with the chassis. We're coming up on 8 hours.

rohar
now if you only had about half a ton of vinegar...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 4 2011, 01:06 PM) *

Nothing a good thunderstorm can't fix ... shades.gif
Series9
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2011, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ May 4 2011, 01:06 PM) *

Nothing a good thunderstorm can't fix ... shades.gif

The wet season in Florida begins in two weeks.
bandjoey
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 4 2011, 12:29 PM) *

How cool is this.

Here's a close-up of the inside structure of the rear deck.

those same circle markings are on the door of the fallout shelter at work. biggrin.gif
AZ914
Nelson, now you can paint it whatever-the-hell color you want! wink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 4 2011, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 4 2011, 12:07 PM) *

I've heard that for years. The last car i saw that was dipped then sat outside(!) in primer for two years. While there was some surface rust from sitting, there was no evidence of seeping acid rust. As far as i know, they submerge the car for several hours in the neutralizing bath. I don't see any reason why acid would get into cavities the neutralizing solution can't.

stirthepot.gif

Good point but it still might be a problem to get any solution into the body cavities that won't easily drain. Capilary action will draw it in but what will draw out that moisture from sail panels, longs, suspension points and any part with multiple layers of spot welded metal. Just thinking out loud.
Series9
Still blasting........
Ferg
pray.gif A Ferg worthy start w00t.gif
Madswede
Whoa! I'm relieved this is going so well! At least now you know this takes a looong time. dry.gif

This is awesome to see the pics though! Can't wait to see it in person, all cleaned up n ready for her new duds! In a little over a week I'll be there! w00t.gif

Time to pick out the paint scheme! piratenanner.gif shades.gif

- Nelson
Ferg
You gonna have a poll? shades.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 4 2011, 04:51 PM) *

You gonna have a poll? shades.gif

Hmm, hadn't considered a poll. I kinda already made up my mind to keep her Phoenix Red - except maybe not for the wheels. These are two options I'm considering if I go with Fuchs. Might go later wheels instead of Fuchs as well.

gms
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 4 2011, 12:29 PM) *

woooh that is an old Led Zeppelin car biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
trojanhorsepower
Thats not the one you just put a motor in is it?......

Looks great.

Did he bring the rotisserie with him?
Elliot Cannon
Don't you need to paint something on like right away to keep it from forming rust?
MoveQik
I am going to hate Nelson when this is done.
Krank
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 4 2011, 09:26 PM) *

Don't you need to paint something on like right away to keep it from forming rust?

It's called "factory correct paint".

Hope the other cars in the drive don't get too loaded up with soda.
Series9
10:10 minutes.

I made him stick to the $900 quote, but we spent an extra $150 in soda.

More pics tomorrow.
avidfanjpl
Krupp Steel is the insignia.

Krupp built all German arms and armor from the late 1800's and they are still at it.

Krupp is the deal.

I am flipping at the job he is doing.

Seems to be worth 2K, if that is the final bill.

John
Series9
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 4 2011, 06:28 PM) *

pray.gif A Ferg worthy start w00t.gif

Start? We're five months and one week in......
Zimms
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 5 2011, 12:16 AM) *

10:10 minutes.

I made him stick to the $900 quote, but we spent an extra $150 in soda.

More pics tomorrow.

Thanks! A good local source quoted me around 1200. Sounds like they are in the same ballpark.
d914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 4 2011, 10:26 PM) *

No actually soda inparts a rust protection and part of the reason you need to do an acid wash aferward. I had mine in the basement garage for a good year in bare metal.. Major life interfering with the fun stuff.. I only had minor flash rust and that was mostly where I touched the car.

Now fla might be a tad worst on the humity front but there should be no need to rush to a primer.
Series9
QUOTE(d914 @ May 5 2011, 09:04 AM) *

No actually soda inparts a rust protection and part of the reason you need to do an acid wash aferward. I had mine in the basement garage for a good year in bare metal.. Major life interfering with the fun stuff.. I only had minor flash rust and that was mostly where I touched the car.

Now fla might be a tad worst on the humity front but there should be no need to rush to a primer.

The decks and doors are already gone to the painter for epoxy primer. The blaster said the same as above. The soda residue will protect bare metal for a while. The chassis will be bare for about six weeks.
Madswede
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ May 4 2011, 07:38 PM) *

Looks great.

Since Joe's busy, I'll answer these two Q's.

The "other" 3.2L motor is going in James Ellisor's car that Joe's finishing up.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ies9&st=140

This one is mine (a longer term complete rebuild project to be completed March 2012).
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=113270&hl

The rotisserie is Joe's - I believe he made it himself.

- Nelson
AZ914
QUOTE(Madswede @ May 5 2011, 08:37 AM) *

This one is mine (a longer term complete rebuild project to be completed March 2012).

Just in time for the Route 66!
Madswede
QUOTE(AZ914 @ May 5 2011, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ May 5 2011, 08:37 AM) *

Just in time for the Route 66!

Yeah! Only been to one so far, but had fun. Isn't that the event with the "Best Malaga Red 2.0" category? poke.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Series9 @ May 5 2011, 08:36 AM) *

QUOTE(d914 @ May 5 2011, 09:04 AM) *

The decks and doors are already gone to the painter for epoxy primer. The blaster said the same as above. The soda residue will protect bare metal for a while. The chassis will be bare for about six weeks.

But then the soda residue hased to be cleaned off before shooting right? If so, what is used to clean it?
ellisor3
QUOTE(Madswede @ May 5 2011, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ May 4 2011, 07:38 PM) *

Looks great.

Since Joe's busy, I'll answer these two Q's.

The "other" 3.2L motor is going in James Ellisor's car that Joe's finishing up.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ies9&st=140

The rotisserie is Joe's - I believe he made it himself.

- Nelson

Your car looks great Nelson. With all the body work I ended doing on mine, I wish I had just had it blasted. I may beat you to the finish line but I started 3 years ago. Seems Joe is right on schedule for March. I can't wait to see yours finished.
VaccaRabite
To clean the soda resedue use either hot soapy water or vinegar.

Zach
Rob-O
Just a comment on the acid dipping. Works well, but you would really want to cut the outer longs off so you can pull the foil/plastic/cardboard heater tubes off. Which means you'd need to build yourself some supports to keep the dimensions intact.

Personally I'd rather go the soda blasting route! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.