Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heading in for Paint - please post a pic of your car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I'm heading into the paint shop and in the past 15yrs the car has been signal orange (L20E) - which is a bit lighter than I'd like and is often confused by people as "yellow".

I'm thinking of Tangerine (L21E) as an alternative but I don't want it to start to look red.

I'll post more pics tonight after I remove the headlight buckets, remaining fresh air stuff, and wiper assembly.

I won't be painting the cockpit, engine bay, or wheel wells because I don't want to drop the engine and remove all the engine bay stuff and I like the cockpit and wheelwells POR-15 black like they are now. After all, the cockpit is all covered by interior and the wheel wells get crusty dirty anway. If I swap engines in the future I'll sort out the bay then.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Can folks send me or post pics of their shade of orange and identify which paint code it is?

Thanks in advance,
-pt
mikey63
I would go for the tangerine!
Eric_Shea
I would go with whatever is on the door post. wink.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2011, 11:06 AM) *

Noted and rejected. av-943.gif The new brakes are beautiful though thumb3d.gif
Eric_Shea
Then I would vote Tangerine. While Signal Orange is one of my favorite colors, tangerine is quite vibrant.
ptravnic
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2011, 12:07 PM) *

Then I would vote Tangerine. While Signal Orange is one of my favorite colors, tangerine is quite vibrant.

Your banner shows up ad tangerine-esque. That's kind of what I'm leaning toward.
Ferg
I vote Signal shades.gif

Click to view attachment
jcambo7
Nah-Pheonix Red
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
I vote Signal Orange or Signal Yellow or Tangerine, Tangerine and Phoenix Red are very
similar all are great colors.

My car is Signal Orange, but Signal Yellow is very striking and really cool.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 4 2011, 08:55 AM) *
Heading in for Paint - please post a pic of your car

Pick one:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=43032

biggrin.gif

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
scotty b
Surely someone has a pic of a Signal car and a Tangerine/Phoenix car side by side confused24.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 4 2011, 01:22 PM) *

Surely someone has a pic of a Signal car and a Tangerine/Phoenix car side by side confused24.gif

Ooh - that would be the holy grail for making this decision. There are so many factors when just looking @ pics - lighting, angles, reflections, etc...

flipb
QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 4 2011, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ May 4 2011, 01:22 PM) *

Ooh - that would be the holy grail for making this decision. There are so many factors when just looking @ pics - lighting, angles, reflections, etc...

This is close:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=787677
IPB Image

flipb
Try this thread too:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=87738&hl=
Mike D.
Here's a few of the Tangerine/Pheonix Red cars... biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And here's a side by side Signal and Pheonix

Click to view attachment
jt914-6
Here's my old factory six in Signal Orange with gold Porsche stripes....

Click to view attachment
MDG
For me Phoenix Red is Tangerine perfected biggrin.gif MUCH more orange in person.

Click to view attachment
cantley914
Signal orange all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
Click to view attachment
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2011, 09:06 AM) *

agree.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(cantley914 @ May 4 2011, 02:44 PM) *

Signal orange all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
Click to view attachment

agree.gif L20E!!!!!!!!!!!!

bandjoey
Tangerine...more of a Blood Orange and a much faster color. laugh.gif
Krank
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 4 2011, 11:06 AM) *

Rust(ic) orange?
speed metal army
Signal!Looks great on our cars..My favorite.
carr914
Signal

Click to view attachment

Tangerine

Click to view attachment
carr914
Here's how they look in my garage biggrin.gif

S

Click to view attachment

T

Click to view attachment
ptravnic
Car goes into the shop next week. They're going to do some pretty cool stuff while it is there:

* Rear tow hitch installed through the bumper so that I can put on a bike rack. I like this set up since it won't damage the trunk and is easy to put on/take off.
* Replace both door jambs - years of grinding, cutting, and bondo haven't been kind to them. This should be a good fix and get the doors properly lined up.
* Some light metal repair - most of the heavy duty stuff (side rails, hell hole, etc.) were done a few years ago pre grad school and have held up well just sitting since then (summer of 2007).
* prime, paint, sand, paint, clear coat, sand, clear coat, etc.

I'm also planning on taking out the front and rear window to make it a more thorough paint job - plus it will make doing work on/around the dash much easier!

I didn't want to remove the brake fluid lines b/c they are such a PITA to get back into the MC - figured they can work and paint around that and the bunched up wiring harness.

Stay tuned.
-pt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.