Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear lube change editorial
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
The trans in question is the 914's sibling, the VW Jetta.

Long story short, about 3 months ago, I took it into http://www.cpicoop.com/index.php/locations/l-z/sutton
to have them change the gear lube as I took in 2 quarts and a partial with about an 1" left in the bottom of the third and when I left a few miles later it started kicking out of gear and I had no idea as to why. About 70 miles later, 5th gear was like hot butter.
http://www.brokevw.com/0205thdamage.html
He only put in the 1 quart and the partial, he said it was coming out the filler hole and I took the other quart back to the store. Thinking everything was kosher. Just barely over 1 quart was put in, thus starving 5th gear.

Anyway I ended up taking them to small claims court because of their not taking any responsibility for the ineptness of the employee and as of yesterday I ended up losing in small claims because of them perverting the facts and muddying the water to the point where everything was a gray area and I lost. I even had the damage documented by another shop stating low fluid was the cause of damage.
Unfortunately, I've heard after the fact that they have a long list of people they have screwed over.

Someone told me that I can put a letter to the editor, in the paper about what happened and I called the local newpaper there and they said that they welcome those articles.
I guess I feel I may keep someone else from having the bad luck I did, and maybe take some business away from them.

QUESTION IS:
I don't really know what I should all say as if I did say something wrong I would probably get sued or would I be better off just forgetting about it?

LK
Cap'n Krusty
I dunno what year your Jetta is, but they take about 2 quarts, maybe just a little more.
It tends to run out a bit while you're filling it. If you're telling the truth, IMO, they have no claim against what you say.

Aside from that, WHY would you ever take your car to a place like the one shown in your link?

The Cap'n
partwerks
The garage is around the corner. Actually the person has changed it a couple times before with no problems. Probably didn't have his mind on what he was doing?
I'll just do it myself from now on.

From my last conversation with the editor, I believe it is ok to mention the business name but will double check b4 I write the letter.

I believe I will simply put something like:

If you have your motor oil or gear lube changed at CPI garage in Sutton, you just might want to double check your fluid levels before leaving the property!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.