Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing a tail shifter into a side shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arkitect
I thought I read some where that a tail shifter can be switched to a side shifter trany. Is it possible? dry.gif

Transmision experts?
Dr. Evil ... are you out there?

Dave
Hammy
Yes you can switch a tail shifter out for a later side shifter tranny and linkage. If yours is a '73 you should have a side shifter.

Stockton? Maybe I've seen you around. idea.gif
arkitect
I bought my 73 without a trany or engine, been getting all the pieces and putting it back together.

I went down to Ceres a couple of days ago and got a spare trany...tail shifter for Dr. Evil's clinic coming up in June. It was pretty odd...I stopped and got a burger and shake at a local Foster Freeze and my order came up #914. What are the odds?

Dave

Click to view attachment
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(arkitect @ May 5 2011, 01:18 AM) *

I thought I read some where that a tail shifter can be switched to a side shifter trany. Is it possible?

Search is your friend.
There are a zillion threads on this subject here already.

Yes, it can be done.
You have to change _everything_ in the linkage.
A '73 should already have the linkage.
carr914
Yes it can be done - Dr Evil made a S/S out of one of my 914-6 Boxes
JRust
It isn't only the linkage you need to change out. Which as everyone said is everything from the shifter back to the tranny. But if you have a 73 your linkage should be fine.

On the tranny side of things you need a sideshift rear cone (the piece with the dog ears for mounting). You need the side shift rods (parts inside the tranny). Also the side shift shaft & mount. Ths is the piece that mounts to the side of the tranny that actually shifts. It has the ball cup buching & the hole in the front your linkage goes through to attatch. I am doing this very thing this weekend at the PNW clinic
ptravnic
IIRC - the engine mount crossbars are different from side shift to tail shift. Tail shift is solid and has the same dimensions from side to side. Side shift has a hole in it on the drivers side to accommodate the shift rod.

-pt
pcar916
Technically you can still use the tailshift rear cover, but you'll have to plug where the old linkage came into it and the side-shift nose looks cleaner. The critical dimensions for internal bits are the same.

Note: Holes that exist in pieces can be used to mount things like temperature sensors, drain plugs and brackets... just a thought.

Good luck
euro911
QUOTE(arkitect @ May 5 2011, 05:24 AM) *
I bought my 73 without a trany or engine, been getting all the pieces and putting it back together.

I went down to Ceres a couple of days ago and got a spare trany...tail shifter for Dr. Evil's clinic coming up in June. It was pretty odd...I stopped and got a burger and shake at a local Foster Freeze and my order came up #914. What are the odds?

Dave
You might consider trying to locate a side-shift trans and keep that tail-shifter for spare parts if the internals are in good condition ... or just sell it to someone who needs a tail-shifter. confused24.gif

Locating all the parts you'd need to convert the actual trans from 'tail' to 'side' may be a chore.

When we wanted do a conversion, I was fortunate to find someone selling mostly everything. The deal included a side-shift transaxle, shifter, front and rear shift rods and the engine mount bar.

We still had to locate the engine bar-to-car side mounts & bolts, new shift bushings, front coupling cover and the rear shift console cover.
RFoulds
Isn't there a WEVO kit for that, or is that just for the 915?
carr914
The WEVO is for a 915
gopack
The good Dr. Evil will be helping me to convert my Rail shifter to a side shifter at the Disco Bay tranny clinic, so if you are there, your question will be answered in full.

"All will be revealed in the fullness of time!"
Dr Evil
Yes, easy smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.