Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manfred gets a motor......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
With some help from Tyson from TRE, we upgraded the tensioners and did the install......

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

A few more parts and we should have it running and racing....wooohoo....
skline
Looks sweet!
CaliWRX
I don't know that much about these cars...I am trying to change that by lurking around here.

All I can say is that looks real nice.

Let everyone know how it runs! driving.gif
Joe Bob
Installed the headers....and a plug for the "other" sponsor.....

IPB Image IPB Image
Joe Bob
Full car view.....
IPB Image
seanery
Looking good Zois!
ppickerell
I can only hope that my install looks that clean! Nice work Mike.
415PB
Looks awesome Mike.....
campbellcj
Sweet! I am really looking forward to getting out on the track soon. I have been jonesing cuz due to work (mostly) I have only done a couple or three events all year thus far.

What's your prognostication of the first event?
SirAndy
schweet!

now the real question is, do you take payments on your massive TYPE 4?
and if the answer is yes, what are the schpecks?

rocking nana.gif Andy
Jake Raby
Looks great!!

Too bad it has too many cylinders!
rick 918-S
Looks great! Who's the tool wench?
ChrisReale
Zeke did a great job getting that car sorted, its too bad he had bad luck with the motor. That looks like a clean install, shit everything looks great.
Gint
Looks good Mikey. Let's hear it run now.
thesey914
Heh sexy car and even sexier legs.....I like the nice garter biggrin.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif
Now admit it ....that beer bottle was staged laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
looks great man! you need a little sun on them gams though!
Joe Bob
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2004, 08:59 PM)
schweet!

now the real question is, do you take payments on your massive TYPE 4?
and if the answer is yes, what are the schpecks?

rocking nana.gif  Andy

Andy,
If you are really interested email me direct.....

That's NOT me under the car, that's my partner in crime, Ingo Schmitz. He has a 74 3.6 powered tail dragger for a daily driver.....I've converted him over to the 914 crowd for the track.

What with Frankensteen, the remodel of the house....we are adding a second floor master suite and bathroom .....the wife and kids....I needed a partner on this conversion.....not enough time in the day....

Looking to have it running in a week or two and on the DE tracks this summer.....

Thanks for the compliments....
Zeke
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ May 24 2004, 11:32 PM)
Zeke did a great job getting that car sorted, its too bad he had bad luck with the motor. That looks like a clean install, shit everything looks great.

Mike and Ingo have a pretty good platform to start with. The six needed to be done anyway. Two racer aquaintances of mine went to sixes last year. And I had (still have) one for conversion.

The car became expensive in a sudden way due to my lack of attention. The basis of the 2056 motor from that car is sound. All I did was cook some pistons (twice!) due to tuning issues, once plugged carbs and once too much advance. To make one mistake followed by another could be bad luck or stupidity. Or both. It's a strong runner, nevertheless.

The six was in my heart but not my wallet. So Mike and Ingo carry on. I'm having a ball with my 911S 2.2. I learned a lot from the 914 and much of that knowledge is being applied to the 911. I'm doing suspension right now and it will be very similar to what's under the 914. All components stripped, examined and painted. New bushings and bigger T bars and sway bars. Along with fresh bearings.

The 914 should be ready for many race miles without any breakage. If that's what you meant about sorting, yeah, it's well sorted. Might need some fine tuning. I never corner balanced it. It's close.
MattR
Wow, thats breathtaking! I love it.

You said Ingo has a 3.6 converted '74 911. Does anyone know of any online documentation of converting a pre 73 to a 3.6?
TimT
Instant G
Joe Bob
I bought mine from Timmins.....worked out OK. Ingo did his himself after looking at what I did and got from Timmins. Some people LOVE Timmins others curse his name. Do a search on the Skyrat Board and draw your own conclusions.....

"I" came out OK. I drove a hard bargain, made some changes and got a good price for my low mileage 3.0 that it replaced. Budget 12K......I did it for 8, net......the engine is STILL running strong.

Ingo got his motor from "Harald" a DIY dismantler in Germany. He negotiated a good price and was happy until the moor started smoking and needed a complete rebuild. Once torn down it appeared that the motor was ridden hard and put away wet.

So.....going with Timmins, I ended up with a better deal....but others have had "issues" with Timmins "crate" motors and installs....some of the stuff he does is Mickey Mouse. But he WAS the Pioneer on the conversion......like I said, make your own decision.

They are ALL used motors.....warranteed motors are not warranteed for labor....just the motor.
MattR
Thanks for the links. This would be a longer term project then my 914, which I hope to have done by the end of the summer. I was thinking of taking a 68 shell and dropping a new motor, suspension, and interior styled after new stuff. Its just a pipe dream right now, and its a long term big budget project (compared to my 914). I'll definatly keep those in mind though.

Edit: what did you guys use for a transmission? Did you stick with a 915? Or did you use a newer 6 speed from a 993 or anything?

BTW, mike, if I visit SB during the summer, could I check out your 914? One of my friends is going to UCSB and has an apartment there...
Joe Bob
915 trans is still being used.....I buy the first beer when ya show up....
Levi
Pretty Damn COOL..... cool_shades.gif
Mueller
a 68 shell

from what I've heard and read for the pre-73 cars, you might want a weld-in full cage installed, the car will want to twist real bad once you stick that big-block /6 in it.......... smile.gif

Looks good Mikey clap56.gif
MattR
QUOTE(mikez @ May 25 2004, 05:22 PM)
.....I buy the first beer when ya show up....

Im 18... so I can't legally return the favor biggrin.gif
I cant wait to check it out. I will probably be about 3 weeks, after finals are over for me. I'll PM you later.

My 68 fantasy is just that. I havent thought it out past the engine, suspension, and interior. But I will definatly keep that in mind. Through my 10 minutes of research, it looks like a 3.0 and 915 trans is most feasable, but I have lots of time to dream before I get anything.
CaliWRX
Im 18... so I can't legally return the favor  
I cant wait to check it out. I will probably be about 3 weeks, after finals are over for me. I'll PM you later.

My 68 fantasy is just that. I havent thought it out past the engine, suspension, and interior. But I will definatly keep that in mind. Through my 10 minutes of research, it looks like a 3.0 and 915 trans is most feasable, but I have lots of time to dream before I get anything.

I'll drive ya Matt!
Rusty
Well done, Mike. That's a classy piece of work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.