Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: centerof mass question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff Bonanno
i asked this earlier in an attempted thread hijack but didn't get any takers - you guys who have had a 914 up on a rotisserie, what is the approximate vertical center of balance for a stripped tub? i want to place the mounts for mine such that rotation is more or less free without too much uneven load.

thanks,
jbb
ChrisFoley
I am building a rotisserie right now for a customer.
The pivot will be in the same plane as the center of the bumper mounts, unless someone else has better info.
I think this will be at least within 2" of the central axis of a bare tub.
bob
I have a 914 on a rotisserie, the mounting is at the bumper mounts... it is very top heavy! it takes a bit of ooomph to get it back upright.

-bob
Jeff Bonanno
Bob and Chris - thanks for the input! Bob, you would move the mount point higher then (ie toward the rollbar)?

jbb
bob
maybe not the mount point.... but perhaps make the mounting bracket so the car sits "lower" and pivots more in line with the balancing point. it isn't too bad moving the car, but you can't just leave it in any postion without locking it down. (and I wish I had made the locking easier... you can do it with one hand, but it takes more effort than I expected..)
hth...
-bob
Britain Smith
Funny that you should ask...I was up at Brad's shop last night getting the final pieces to my rotesserie welded up.

I have a whole page of rotesserie pictures for both 911 and 914's...check it out here.

Rotesserie Pics

-Britain
Jeff Bonanno
Britain, thanks for responding. i looked at those when you posted about your research before - it looks like the teener from northeastern (9140horiz.jpg) has the mountpoint raised above bumper level like Bob suggested. i will try to emulate that setup!

jbb
ChrisFoley
It looks like the pivot is 3-4 inches above the bumper mount centerline in Britain's pics. The car also has the windshield installed as well as some other stuff.
Without the windshield etc. the pivot could be a bit lower I think.
ChrisFoley
Just tested the new rotisserie this morning.
The car is only a little top heavy.
I will be moving the pivot up 1-2 inches.
Jeff Bonanno
clap56.gif
ChrisFoley
One additional note.
I used uprights that were 36" long, coped to fit the pivot tube.
during the rotation test the corner of the targa bar lightly grazed a bolt (set screw) head on the top side of the 3 pc. telescoping tube that holds the two ends together.
william harris
Thanks Chris! Coming soon to a garage at my house. Traveled down to Chris' shop this morning to pick up this new toy. Will bolt it up to my car tomorrow and post pictures and give performance review. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.