Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT - Do you know how to fix a floor jack?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Dan
Not 914, not technical and I didn't know where to ask.

I've got a 3.5 ton big heavy piece of junk, I think it came from NAPA. It's still a big heavy piece of junk but now it won't lift cars; an O-Ring or something went and now it leaks oil which I assume would also suck air.

The metal is fine, wheels still turn it's just a $0.37 rubber ring causing me to look at $300 new ones which I have no guaruntee won't puke anyway.

Any thought on where I can bring this, any on-line repair sites?

I can't believe I'm the first person ever to have this problem.

Thanks, Dan
URY914
If it is a US made NAPA jack it is worth repairing. If it is from China, don't waste your time just buy another. There should be a rack repair shop around you somewhere.
914Dan
When all the paper stickers are gone, how do you tell the difference between a US and China jack?

Dan
URY914
Turn it over, there maybe a stamping on it somewhere. Look close at the cylinder.
underthetire
Motion Industries, Applied industrial, and most hydraulic shops can get you whatever seal you need.
cooltimes
Hey Dan,
Almost all floor jacks use the same principal to repair.

As far as getting an o'ring, just get one or 2 at Lowes.
copy and paste this in a browser. Just click on this link and save the pdf file that shows how a DIY person can repair it. It will be the file you need since all jacks are very much the same.

c.kenmore.com/assets/own/00950156e.pdf

MikeCool
Gint
A question I've had for a long time. I have at least one jack that deserves to be repaired. I'm only too happy to tear it apart myself, but where do you get parts. I don't know of a local hydraulic shop. But I'm going to look for one now.

BTW, moving this to the garage.
914Dan
You're welcome Gint. =~)
jaxdream
Be sure to support it with the proper jackstands .......... stirthepot.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
cooltimes
QUOTE(914Dan @ May 5 2011, 07:42 PM) *

You're welcome Gint. =~)

You said you thought your jack came from NAPA.
Link shows photo of each model they carry and the manufacture's name. Match the model up and NAPA will tell/sell you the repair parts for that model.
http://www.globalsources.com/manufacturers...Floor-Jack.html

MikeCool
Bartlett 914
My floor jack also stopped working. Mine had air in the circuit. It was also low on oil. Find the filler plug and add oil. Put the plug back in. Open the release screw and pump the jack several times. This should pump out the air. Repeat as necessary and recheck oil level. Mine works great now.
raw1298
I asked for a new one for Christmas. Fixed!! biggrin.gif Now I have to ask that Santa take the old one away this year. dry.gif
URY914
A few years back I took my Costco jack into a shop for repair. The owner told me it's cheaper to buy a new one than to have him repair a pos jack. Only a old american made jack is worth paying someone else to fix. Now repairing a cheap jack yourself might be dollar wise.
stugray
While we are on the subject.... What is the deal with storing the jack???

I have heard: Store it with the valve screw turned IN, then I have heard NO, leave it loose..... Which is it????

I have also seen a brand new HF low profile jack stop working after storing it vertical.....

Any tips for preventative maint.?

I just got the same HF low profile jack for Xmas (havent even used it yet as the car is on 4 stands ;-).

Stu
Elliot Cannon
The instructions on mine said to store it with the screw open. So that's what I do. Mine is a cheap Chinese built jack that I have been using for 10 years. No trouble.
r_towle
Any large truck repair shop...dump trucks, trash truck etc will have access to all the parts you need.
They deal with hyraulics every day.
If you want, and its simple, pull the hydraulic cylinder out and bring that in for rebuild...

Gint: for you I would suggest a place that sells and services snow plows.
I use them for all of that stuff...they can make hoses also...so if oil lines are in your future...keep that in mind.

At that point, its just a hydraulic cylinder...not a big deal for the right shop.

Rich
cooltimes
A NAPA jack photo.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.