Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Faulty VR, now Battery shows 18volts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I think my VR died and now my battery shows 18volts, what kind of damage am I looking at?

Currently I cannot start the car due to a Fuel pump circuit issue (unless the 18v has hosed up something)
SpecialK
Unless I'm forgetting something, a 12v battery can't have an output of 18v <_< . A fully charged 12v automotive battery should have an output voltage of 12.7v or something close to that. I'd say that the meter/gauge that you're using is hosed. Buy a cheapo multimeter from Radio Shack and check it again.
TravisNeff
My voltmeter hooked up to the + battery terminal shows 12v, but with a multimeter it shows 18v at the posts. Other checks of the wiring harness shows 18v as well.
davep
agree.gif

How are you able to measure the 18 volts? You may fry the computer with a voltage like that.
Joe Bob
Disconnect the battery....read it. Should be 12.5 volts. Reconnect it....12.5 volts......start the car, 12.5-13.0 at idle....2500 rpms 13.0-13.5ish.....anything over 14.0 is bad...... ohmy.gif

Allowing it to take an overcharge like that and the battery can explode.
TravisNeff
all true checks were done with a DVM
tod914
Mike,

what would over 14 indicate??
Mueller
batteries can explode/leak if grossly overcharged, can you measure the "field" of the VR?
TravisNeff
how do I do that?
tod914
how do I do that?
agree.gif

inquiring minds would like to know. mine is getting so hot i can fry an egg on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.