Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Straight Eye for the Square Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
This may be obvious to some, but I can't tell the difference between deeps and regulars.

Can anyone tell me if these are the 15" deeps or regular wheels?

Also, if anyone has close ups that can point out the differences, that would be great. Also, the lips of the rims seem rounded, are all 15" fuchs rounded at the rim?

BTW, I said "square car" because I saw someone refer to them as that in another post, and I laughed. It reminded me of a girl in high school who said I have "one of those square ones". Do people really perceive 914s as square? I never have.

Thomas

IPB Image
machina
I think those are the deep offset 6" 15's.

still not as deep as the 7, 8, or 9" fuchs.

dr
seanery
I call it a square car on occasion.
horizontally-opposed
Look like deeps, painted "correctly" to partially hide the fact that they have the deeper lips. Anybody ever figure out why Porsche hid the lip depth? Definitely look like 15x6s, unless they're 911R 15x7s, which I have never figure out how to spot from outside...

pete
tat2dphreak
:dhead:

that car makes me feel kinda funny... like when I used to climb the rope in gym class...

very nice car! what's the deal with the blinkers? were they relocated? idea.gif It's a great look!
Eric_Shea
Anybody ever figure out why Porsche hid the lip depth?

Because they were dipped in the paint to the proper depth on the paddles. All early polished paddle Fuchs were "dipped" in the paint. This gave them an even line on the paint without having to tape off each wheel. Unmolested Fuchs will have the black paint on the entire rear portion of the rim. You can even see where the paint stops in the cavities on the back side of the paddle.

Fun facts from someone who's refinished 17 Fuchs now... biggrin.gif
markb
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 25 2004, 12:10 PM)
Definitely look like 15x6s, unless they're 911R 15x7s, which I have never figure out how to spot from outside...

pete

IIRC, the factory 7's have a curve around the valve stem, where the others are straight.
SirAndy
they don't look deep to me ...

but what do i know? confused24.gif
Andy
SirAndy
that's what i call deep-dish wink.gif
Aaron Cox
agree.gif , im pretty sure they are regular. deeps have a BIG lip
Carl
Remove the wipers. Then it can't rain because it doesn't have wipers. Why didn't I think of that?
watsonrx13
Looks like the fresh air vents have been removed also.
ein 6er
here is a great post on pelican that has pics of the deep dish wheels.

that's a great looking car btw!! i zoomed in on the foto, the air vent is still there but the headlight eyebrows are gone.
campbellcj
This is one of the restored deep sixes on my former 911 - unfortunately not from an angle that makes the "lip" very visible

IPB Image
campbellcj
I am fairly sure the blue 914 does have the early 6's. It's hard to tell without a closeup pic or seeing the car in person. The later 6's do look significantly more 'shallow' though, basically like a 16x6 Fuchs.
Eric_Shea
Chris,

That 911 of yours was SICK BTW! (that be a good thing) smilie_pokal.gif

I remember following that resto on your web page. Gawd!
thomasotten
Is it possible to restore these wheels in a way that they are polished, but don't have that mirror polish? I like it when they look like aluminum from the factory.
anthony
Yes, you have wheels refinished in the factory finish. Basically they are polished, annodized, and then painted.
Eric_Shea
I've refinished a bunch of these in basically all different styles. The effect you're looking for is as described above. It's the "anodizing" that gives it the satin finish. The "mirror" finish wheels are generally not re-anodized.

You'll want to have them "de-anodized" first, otherwise you can't polish them. Then polish them to the "mirror" finish that you don't want. Re-anodize them and then paint them. The anodizing will bring the factory satin finish back.
carr914
Thomas
I just emailed you a picture of my car with the deeps before I got on the Forum. That might help.
T.C.
jwade
I like the look without the headlight eyebrows, but what does it look like
with the lights up?

john party.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.