Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 current value and pricing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Loser_Cruiser
What am I missing? It seems not even a year or two ago, these cars and there parts were very reasonably priced. Now, it looks as though they are going for double. Any particular reason?
scotty b
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 5 2011, 07:07 PM) *

What am I missing? It seems not even a year or two ago, these cars and there parts were very reasonably priced. Now, it looks as though they are going for double. Any particular reason?

idea.gif Middle east turmoil, and 2012
Loser_Cruiser
seems to be the blame for everything else, so why not!

rohar
The car market is a mess lately. I've been snooping around for a 993 for a friend. The price spread on comparable cars across the country is almost 50% in some cases.

I have no idea what people are thinking.
Jake Raby
They are finally bringing the money they should be... Don't be disappointed, this means the cars are an INVESTMENT, not just a money pit.

Loser_Cruiser
All I hear about is how the economy is in the dumps, yet people are asking more than top dollar. Are the cars I see listed sky high actually selling?
Also, I keep seeing the NADA value referenced. Has any one checked them out? They say low retail of 13k! what are these based on?
avidfanjpl
914 prices are rising, but only for cars that are NOT rusty. I am seeing nothing but hulks around SoCal. 3 in the last 2 weeks. Just crappy cars.

Most for sale to me have very serious problems.

That is the one car issue that most know nothing about, and it is getting more expensive to fix each year.

A car in CA with rust for 5K will cost another 5K to fix and paint even modestly. That makes a minimum investment $10K. Not counting mechanical, electrical and glazing.

I have wondered out loud in the past year here how many remaining 914's there are in the world, and how many truly do not have rust issues.

Apparently, not many at all. And only a few have paint that I would write home about.

John
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ May 5 2011, 08:31 PM) *

914 prices are rising, but only for cars that are NOT rusty. I am seeing nothing but hulks around SoCal. 3 in the last 2 weeks. Just crappy cars.

Most for sale to me have very serious problems.

That is the one car issue that most know nothing about, and it is getting more expensive to fix each year.

A car in CA with rust for 5K will cost another 5K to fix and paint even modestly. That makes a minimum investment $10K. Not counting mechanical, electrical and glazing.

I have wondered out loud in the past year here how many remaining 914's there are in the world, and how many truly do not have rust issues.

Apparently, not many at all. And only a few have paint that I would write home about.

John

Exactly! I don't mind paying more for the cars, but I feel the price is going up for lesser quality cars than we were seeing not to long ago. I don't mind the appreciation but I love these cars for the fun they bring not the price tags. Just wanted to see if I was the only one who thought alot of the prices I am seeing seem a bit unreasonable.
ptravnic
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 5 2011, 10:25 PM) *

this means the cars are an INVESTMENT, not just a money pit.

While I like the wishful thinking, I humbly disagree.

An investment is putting money into something with the expectation of profit. Very few folks on this board/914 enthusiasts have or will ever come out ahead financially. Maybe here and there but largely these cars, like boats, are money pits.

When you put a price tag on fun, friendship, etc. it is a different story but I laugh til it hurts whenever someone tries to pull the "it's an investment" card.

-pt
76-914
supply and demand, there is no supply and there is a demand.
moparrob
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 5 2011, 08:50 PM) *

supply and demand, there is no supply and there is a demand.

agree.gif

You hit the nail on the head. They are not making any more of these and the nearest new thing that you can buy with as much fun costs A LOT more ( and is easily replaced).
sww914
Somebody here posted a ling to a car magazine best list recently, the 10 best affordable sports cars or something like that. They said "name another Le Mans class winner that you can buy a running registered car for $1500.00." You probably can't buy anything that you'd want in a 914 for that kind of money anymore but I think they're still about the best sports car value on the planet. Let's say 5K. You can't get a running Ferrari for that. You can get a BMW but not one that will live through the weekend at a track. Not many do even if they're newer. Nor will a 5K Lotus or a Triumph. Sure you can pull out a Honda Del Sol for 5K that might live through a weekend at Willow Springs, but it's front wheel drive for God's sake. How about a Camaro or a Mustang. Neither is a sports car in my book. Point & squirt at best. How about a 5K Corvette? It's a legitimate sports car, probably your best chance in this scenario.
So what else is there of similar price that can smoke a decent 914 at the track that is still cool?
dion9146
I find this topic funny for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I've been into 914s for so long. Back in th early 90's when I got my first one, 914s and most of their parts, could be had for a song. I've had three 914s now over the past 20 years, with the most recent one being the most reliable, and least worked on Porsche I have ever owned. In my mind, I still think of these cars back when I bought my first one, and yes, some of the recent prices blow me away.

It's hard for me to think that my little flared, rust free, 3.2 powered 914 sitting quietly in the garage can often fetch more than a nice SC or Carrera, and definitely gets more than any of the older water pumpers. Back when I bought my first one, the only cheaper Porsche out there was a broken 924.

I do keep track of cars similar to mine when I see them for sale, and have inquired on the selling prices when they do get moved. And yes, these cars are selling close to asking price. That's good news as mine will probably go up for sale after this year, but in the meantime I'm having fun watching the value go up. Something I didn't think I would ever see....then again the 356 guys were having the same conversation back in the late 70's/80's.

Dion
r_towle
Name another aircooled porsche that can be purchased for less than 10k...there are none.
Average SC prices are 12-15k
Average Carrera prices are 12-18k

The older 911's are rising up to 18-30k
the 356's are 20-30k

The 914 is the only choice for a fun, aircooled porsche.
happily people are realising this...
The 356 market back in the 70's and 80's was just like the 914....2-3k would buy you a driver..
Now beat up project cars are selling for 12k..

Rich
Cevan
I was looking at 993's and I can't believe some of the asking prices.
r_towle
QUOTE(Cevan @ May 6 2011, 10:02 AM) *

I was looking at 993's and I can't believe some of the asking prices.

last of the aircooled cars.
Most refined interiors and even better rear suspension.

I have seen 20k 993, but only rarely.

Rich
windforfun
QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 5 2011, 08:49 PM) *

An investment is putting money into something with the expectation of profit. Very few folks on this board/914 enthusiasts have or will ever come out ahead financially. Maybe here and there but largely these cars, like boats, are money pits.

When you put a price tag on fun, friendship, etc. it is a different story but I laugh til it hurts whenever someone tries to pull the "it's an investment" card.

-pt

I disagree. Whether or not something proves to be an investment depends on many things. Market conditions & timing are very important. A rust-free stock 914 is a work of art. Like most works of art, if you're in a hurry to sell it, it won't prove to be a good investment. With the right market & an enthusiastic buyer, you should be able to make some money. Keeping the car stock is very important in terms of market value. FWIW, you now have my opinion. Thank you.
mepstein
Don't forget all the rusty cars that sell for a couple hundred bucks. Gotta average them in to the mix.

914's are an investment in both fun and frustration but probably not the best "vehicle" to increase your net worth.
orange914
The 914 market is good for the seller not the buyer right now.

My 73 had a rush from as far as France and had no trouble getting appraised value.

I don't see it lasting alot longer though.
okieflyr
QUOTE(dion9146 @ May 6 2011, 09:03 AM) *

I find this topic funny for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I've been into 914s for so long. Back in th early 90's when I got my first one, 914s and most of their parts, could be had for a song. I've had three 914s now over the past 20 years, with the most recent one being the most reliable, and least worked on Porsche I have ever owned. In my mind, I still think of these cars back when I bought my first one, and yes, some of the recent prices blow me away.

It's hard for me to think that my little flared, rust free, 3.2 powered 914 sitting quietly in the garage can often fetch more than a nice SC or Carrera, and definitely gets more than any of the older water pumpers. Back when I bought my first one, the only cheaper Porsche out there was a broken 924.

I do keep track of cars similar to mine when I see them for sale, and have inquired on the selling prices when they do get moved. And yes, these cars are selling close to asking price. That's good news as mine will probably go up for sale after this year, but in the meantime I'm having fun watching the value go up. Something I didn't think I would ever see....then again the 356 guys were having the same conversation back in the late 70's/80's.

Dion

My question is this.
If they are getting their asking price, what is their asking price based on?
Is it based on what financial investment they have to restore the car? if so, what % of that cost are they getting back? If they were fortunate enough to buy the car from someone that absorbed the restoration cost and loss, then they probably came out ahead. This same scenerio is repeated throught the whole collector car market as values cycle.

It seems to me that the speculators in the market have an influence on the percieved value whether real or not.
ptravnic
QUOTE(windforfun @ May 6 2011, 04:23 PM) *

QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 5 2011, 08:49 PM) *

-pt

I disagree. Whether or not something proves to be an investment depends on many things. Market conditions & timing are very important. A rust-free stock 914 is a work of art. Like most works of art, if you're in a hurry to sell it, it won't prove to be a good investment. With the right market & an enthusiastic buyer, you should be able to make some money. Keeping the car stock is very important in terms of market value. FWIW, you now have my opinion. Thank you.

Rainbows and unicorns. This reminds me of many (most?) golfers. They'll say that they are a bogey golfer or better but on average they are lucky to break 100.

I'm not trying to poo poo 914's - hell, I have the same disease as most on this board but c'mon - if most of us were to *honestly* add up our receipts the odds of getting more $ out of it than $ we've put into it are extremely slim.

I say this as someone who is embarrassed about how much money I've spent on the 914's over the past 20yrs ($30k? $40k? confused24.gif ). I wouldn't change this part of my past even if I could but if someone were to pitch the idea of the average 914 as a potential investment he/she should be ashamed of him/herself.

Then again maybe some of us have a different definition of an investment. shades.gif
Haudiosolutions
Investment or not, the average selling price going up makes it easier to swallow the cost to repair and upgrade parts. Spending a load of cash on parts and hours working on it may have a small return on investment but knowing it isn't going into a car going down in value (on average) creates just enough leverage in discussions with my wife on the cost of Porsche parts boxes being delivered " But babe, these cars are generally going up in value" unsure.gif
Slick914
I honestly think the current gas prices are a big factor. Not a whole lot of classic cars that are as fuel efficient as a 914. I'm currently looking to get a 914 again. I was shocked at how much the asking prices have increases since 2 years ago! sad.gif

JeffBowlsby
The best quality 914s have always commanded higher pricing. See my list of of pre- and post-recession sales history.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/RecentSales.htm

biggrin.gif
914itis
agree.gif
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 6 2011, 06:00 PM) *

Don't forget all the rusty cars that sell for a couple hundred bucks. Gotta average them in to the mix.

914's are an investment in both fun and frustration but probably not the best "vehicle" to increase your net worth.

tracks914
I have one in the classifieds. It's been there for a year and I finally have a tentative deal.
914 For Sale
It's a turn key deal, pay and drive, everything works, everything has been restored, it looks as if it were a one or two year old very well kept used car. (Except for the unnoticeable dash cap)
It's appraised at almost $18K. I'm into it for just over $10K in parts and materials. (no labour because I do it all from engines/tranny to body/paint and upholstery)
I agreed to sell it for almost $10K after being able to drive it for 7 years.
I was hoping for more but living a days drive north of Toronto, the market in Northern Ontario isn't the best.
I'm ok for selling it for what I have into it after having enjoyed it for many years. Now to pay some University tuitions. wub.gif for my daughters.

If the market picks and value goes up, great for our cars....I still have another one. driving.gif
enderw88
The argument I make with myself about "investing" in my hobby is that I won't make money on the car if I take all the costs into account. But, if I divide the sunk cost (total spent owning the car - the price I get for the car when it leaves) by the number of hours I spent enjoying it it comes out pretty good. I have around $35,000 into my Stalker (including tools which I usually don't count because "tools are free!). When I sell it and divide the difference by the thousand hours or so I have spent building it (which I enjoy) and driving it then I am spending around 10-15$ per hour of entertainment. That's not too bad in comparison to the same calculation on SWMBO clothing budget!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.