Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: White to grey to signal orange
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Still have more paint work to do but its getting pretty close to done.

Some grey pics
Doug Leggins
asdf
Doug Leggins
hjkl
Doug Leggins
And my favorite 914 color
Doug Leggins
more orange
Doug Leggins
1 more
Doug Leggins
hard to believe that I got these all posted without being logged off!

last one for now.
seanery
that looks great doug!! :drool:
Bleyseng
How come you masked off the bottom?
looks great

Geoff biggrin.gif
seanery
here's the before

IPB Image
Doug Leggins
The bottom was masked because the bottom is going to be painted black.

Should see the black in a few days
Doug Leggins
While the computer is being friendly...here is a few more project pics.

Suspension pieces
seanery
are you gonna do the engine tin in that black chrome?
Doug Leggins
When I removed the rear wheel bearing cover there was a gasket between the cover and the trailing arm. I made gaskets and installed them. Should gaskets be used between the cover and arm?
SpecialK
That looks AWESOME!! aktion035.gif
Doug Leggins
Some color to add
Chris H.
Doug, you gotta be proud of that. Really nice job.
Doug Leggins
A close up of the front a arm with the rtv seal in place after the Mueller roller bearing install
Doug Leggins
Thanks for the good words guys.

Everyone should have a fun hobby. Working on old cars is mine. This 914 project has been working out fantastic -thanks in large part to this great club.

one more pic

The hand made RTV seal worked out much better than i expected. It should work very well to keep the bearings clean.
GaroldShaffer
Doug that IS SCHWEET!!!!!! So that is what orange is suppose to look like, not that dull faded VW orange that my 914 is sad.gif

Looks great, can't wait to see it completed.

- Garold
siverson
Looks great! Is that single stage paint or two stage (clear coat)?

Any details on the paints?

-Steve
wheelo
Doug -
Really nice work ! My 1st 914 was an orange '70 ...
will look great with all the detail...
Curvie Roadlover
Wow!!!! Nice work smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif
michelko
Very nice work smilie_pokal.gif
Like the colour.

Michael
smilie_flagge6.gif
tdgray
Way to go man... you've done an awesome job. I only wish that mine could turn out as nice. sad.gif
spare time toys
Can you post the measurements of that stand? I need to make one of those. welder.gif
DipShit
I am rebuiling a Signal Orange '71. I've got it sanded and just about ready for the welding to begin, battery tray etc. You could save me some time by telling me the brand of paint and paint code for the orange.

I hope mine turns out as nice as yours... did you fabricate that rack?
Eric_Shea
Fuching Awesome!

That settles it... the GT project goes Signal Orange!
Britain Smith
What color are the suspension pieces? If that is chrome black, then that is the color that I am going to go with.

-Britain
ein 6er
WOW!!! clap56.gif

HEY DIPSHIT!!! laugh.gif welcome!!! recognize this place?
Doug Leggins
The paint is a two stage base clear. The paint is from Sherwin Williams, color code 3517-0, Amber / Signal Orange.

Originally we started out with a DuPont paint. Color code 8560 i think. A pint test mix looked good but when a gallon was mixed the painter noticed some "specs" in the paint. THe paint shop tried 4 times mixing a gallon of the DuPont but all had specs. Gave up on DuPont and went with Sherwin Williams.

I bought the rotisserie with the car. The guy that I bought the car from made it. And I'm sure glad that he did! The rotisserie is a fantastic help for this work.

The powder coating color is Black Chrome. It is a two stage also. It requires a topcoat of clear due to metallic content in the base color. I wasn't too sure about this color at first. But now I am certainly pleased with the appearance of these parts. I'm thinking that they will look great against a semi gloss black bottom side.
Levi
Nice Job
scottb
doug, that looks great.

as soon as i have it stripped, i will ship my tub to you along with a 12 pack for your time. if you could have it back by the end june that would be great!!!!

beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif
johnlush
QUOTE(ein 6er @ May 26 2004, 02:13 PM)
WOW!!!  :clap:

HEY DIPSHIT!!!  :lol: welcome!!! recognize this place?

Well I'm not Dipshit although I have been called one and I do know him! Was the picture taken around Arlington, WY? There's getting to be more and more wind farms around here. Wind is one thing we've plenty of! Nice looking /6!java script:emoticon(':lol:')
415PB
Looks awesome, good job......... smilie_pokal.gif
Pnambic
Alright! Now, we're gonna have that one ready by the October Fall Spectacular, right Doug? biggrin.gif
Absolutely gorgeous!
clap56.gif
Eric Taylor
Doug- that is so awsome to see. I remember when you were deciding weather or not to get it out of the barn or not. Sure glad you did! That car is gona be sweet. Made my day to see that car so far along.
Eric
DipShit
Hard to tell if that's Arlington or just south of Cheyenne on the Greeley highway. It all looks like the new State trees to me. rocking nana.gif
red914
WOW!
Gint
W blink.gif W Awesome Doug! I can't get enough pics of freshly painted tubs.

I have a sunrise pic of the wind farm in WY. around here someplace. It's from one of my trips back and forth from Nor Cal.
joea9146
Very Very Nice .... You going to drive it when its done biggrin.gif
brant
John (lush),

good to see you here..
hey fellas, John knows a ton about teeners..
he is a great resource, he rebuilds his own -6 motors (including a 930, which he is currently finishing)...

sorry for hijacking the thread, I love the orange!!!!

brant
Gint
Welcome John! I didn't even put two =2 together. Who's dipshit? Is he/she on our local list?
ein 6er
sorry for the highjack!! sad.gif

john & dipshit, yup, by arlington. i drove from tocoma to fl. and stopped there for a pic, then down 287 to ft. collins and loveland. i have a sister in loveland and i lived out there for a while.

Wind is one thing we've plenty of!

HAAAAA! yeah i remember the wyoming wind speed indicator .... a short piece of chain!! the wind speed is deternined by when the chain sticks straight out and then when links start snapping off!! smile.gif

btw, welcome john!!

ok, for you colo. guys ... recognize these peaks? rolleyes.gif
aircooledboy
Yet another reminder of how limited my skills really are relative to the members of this club. pray.gif

Absolutely beautiful work. Seeing that perfect paint job on the tub makes me want to go home and start tearing mine apart. Course, then you, or one of the other really skilled painters in the club would have to come spray it for me, since parts smaller than 12 inches in size are pretty much my limit. idea.gif Hmmmm, maybe I better not.

Those suspension parts are gorgeous. What did you use?
brant
doug,

I like that picture.. nice..
is that twin peaks in the background....?

brant
ein 6er
brant, thanks!! yup, long's peak. i hiked to the top once while i lived out there.
pman
Awesome job. That's my goal for my 914LE. I need to borrow you for about a year. Great work, beautiful.

java script:emoticon(':beer2:')
johnlush
QUOTE(Gint @ May 27 2004, 07:46 AM)
Welcome John! I didn't even put two =2 together. Who's dipshit? Is he/she on our local list?

First off, Great job Doug! the paintwork is B-U-tiful!

And thanks to Mike G. and Brant for the welcome. I've lurked p-lists/boards since the porschephiles days. Just never gat around to signing up here. Dipshit, AKA Mark, is a friend of mine who is a fairly new 914 convert. He's not on the yahoo-colorado list yet, you should sign him up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.