Do any other vendors offer vacuum hose kits besides AA? idea.gif

TIA
BHero
beech4rd
QUOTE(benalishhero @ May 6 2011, 05:19 PM) *

Do any other vendors offer vacuum hose kits besides AA? idea.gif

TIA
BHero

You're not going to get a "kit" this way. I took samples of all the hoses in my engine compartment to my local VW dealer. A parts guy, who was interested in my project, ordered and obtained lengths of all the tubing, which was German made. He also found some NOS clamps that VW still keeps for the aircooled folks- mainly Vanagon owners.

Chris

sww914
I'm pretty sure that they're the only ones that have assembled a "kit". You can assemble your own kit and probably save some money, from what I've seen AA isn't giving anything away cheap. Pelican Parts has vacuum hose routing diagrams that list the diameters of the hoses. If you measure the length of each yourself you can call any of the other suppliers and order however many feet of each that you need. I like GPR, good prices and he pays to advertise here.
markb
I started working on one this week. We're sourcing vendors who carry the proper lines, and I'll be asking for anyone who has the lengths written down to post them for me. I've looked at the Pelican diagrams, but they're not complete for lengths. I'm trying to find the proper hoses, and that may take a bit of time.
Comanchepilot
QUOTE(markb @ May 6 2011, 08:48 PM) *

I started working on one this week. We're sourcing vendors who carry the proper lines, and I'll be asking for anyone who has the lengths written down to post them for me. I've looked at the Pelican diagrams, but they're not complete for lengths. I'm trying to find the proper hoses, and that may take a bit of time.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
This is a great resource! Check under Tech/Notebook.
rick 918-S
Dont forget to call me.
sfrenck
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 8 2011, 12:40 AM) *

Dont forget to call me.

Call you what? Just kidding - if you sell vacuum hose kits, you should advertise better. I would have gladly bought from someone besides AA.
montoya 73 2.0
I'm going to need one in a week or two for a 73' 2liter. PM me Mark when you get these going.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(markb @ May 6 2011, 07:48 PM) *

Glad this thread came up. I was about to order a kit for my '75 1.8 for around $75, I think. I would much rather hold off a bit and see what you come up with.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(markb @ May 6 2011, 07:48 PM) *

Oops... double post. I hate IE8.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 7 2011, 09:40 PM) *

Dont forget to call me.

Rick, do you have that chart for 73 2L? .... or are 73 & 74 the same? confused24.gif

Also - are you selling them?

IIRC the colored hoses are NLA - except maybe red & black? idea.gif
perrysan
I am also interested in a 1973 2.0 hose kit. Thanks!
tod914
Red is NLA, Salmon is NLA, Green is NLA; although there is still some availability of green if you feel like searching the VW places.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 9 2011, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 7 2011, 09:40 PM) *

Dont forget to call me.

Rick, do you have that chart for 73 2L? .... or are 73 & 74 the same? confused24.gif

Also - are you selling them?

IIRC the colored hoses are NLA - except maybe red & black? idea.gif

Hi Tom,

I have no idea where I got that chart. And I'm not selling I'm buying. I spoke with Jonnathan about this a couple weeks ago. He said then they were working on adding a hose kit to their offerings. I left my number with him. He said he would call when they got it together. I have a bout 2 weeks then I'm going to be in a pinch.

Oh, and I think a guy could try some Rit fabric dye on it. It is like fabric.

BTW: Nothing wrong with a little competition in the world.
tod914
Rick, I'd be curious to see if the black dye could be stripped off and re-dyed into that red. Please post if you have success doing so. I can post a couple of original engine bays if you guys need reference.
MDG
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 9 2011, 06:35 PM) *

Rick, I'd be curious to see if the black dye could be stripped off and re-dyed into that red. Please post if you have success doing so. I can post a couple of original engine bays if you guys need reference.

Done it. RIT make a colour remover as well so I used it as I wouldn't want to use bleach near the rubber. The RIT stuff takes the grey/black colour down to a silver/grey so its not an ideal starting point as the dark base will play havoc with the dye colours.

The green came out really good. The red came out more like brick red - so kinda brownish red - not as bright as you'd like it to be. I'd take pics but my hoses are with my engine out at Mark's (Mark Henry that is)
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ May 9 2011, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(tod914 @ May 9 2011, 06:35 PM) *

Done it. RIT make a colour remover as well so I used it as I wouldn't want to use bleach near the rubber. The RIT stuff takes the grey/black colour down to a silver/grey so its not an ideal starting point as the dark base will play havoc with the dye colours.

The green came out really good. The red came out more like brick red - so kinda brownish red - not as bright as you'd like it to be. I'd take pics but my hoses are with my engine out at Mark's (Mark Henry that is)

I did this same thing about 25 years ago. They didn't have the color remover then, so I used a 10% bleach alternative - didn't hurt the hoses at all. The black came out black. The red came out red. The green came out good too. The blue I attempted for the master sylinder did not work - came out green.
Pat
tod914
Pat if you need a small section of blue line, I can mail it to you. It's available, I think in 1 foot sections. Will have to give the RIT a shot. Couple of my lines are due for replacement.
hwgunner
QUOTE(markb @ May 6 2011, 08:48 PM) *

and you are working 56 hours this week at your OTHER job! sheeplove.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.