Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pedal Cluster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bullet
I'm trying to remove my pedal cluster so that i can replace the pedal bushings. I was able to remove the 2 nuts towards the drivers seat. But the 2 against the bulk head i cant get a soket on them. I crawled way up under there to take a closer look and see what looks like welds on the bold heads. At first i thought it was just some corrosion but after about 50 hard whacks with a chisle i am convinced that they are welds. My qestions is: how the hell do i get theese last 2 bolts out?
Mueller
wrong side !!!!!

you need to access the two nuts from underneath the vehicle wink.gif

you cannot use a socket, a 13mm open/closed wrench is a better tool
Kargeek
I believe they are studs that go through the floor of the car and master cylinder. So, take the nuts off the M/C and you can then get it out. DH
Mueller
oh yea, they are not bolts, they are studs which are permenetly attached to the pedal cluster assembly.
Bullet
Shit!!!! i wish that i would have thought about that. I have been so pissed off at this for the last couple of weeks that i have not even touched that car. Thanks alot! I will pull it all out tomorrow.
Mueller
Shit!!!! i wish that i would have thought about that.

i feel your pain....it's the little things that always get me....make it hard or difficult from the get-go and it's easy to figure out, but make it a simple-simon problem and it'll kick my ass, LOL
Levi
QUOTE(Bullet @ May 25 2004, 10:12 PM)
Shit!!!! i wish that i would have thought about that. I have been so pissed off at this for the last couple of weeks that i have not even touched that car. Thanks alot! I will pull it all out tomorrow.

Hehehe...have you tried to remove the starter yet..... lol2.gif
Don't ask.... chairfall.gif
Trekkor
Actually, the studs are tack welded to the pan. The ped-assym is fitted over the studs and held in place with 13mm nuts. This area is a rust pond if water leaks into your car...Like mine.

I just did this. The studs will shear off. Use an air chisel to press the old studs out. Have an assistant help you by holding a wrench on new bolts or weld in new studs. No problem!
dinomium
agree.gif
CUBS Win CUBS WIN!!
Bullet
QUOTE(Levi @ May 25 2004, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE(Bullet @ May 25 2004, 10:12 PM)
Shit!!!! i wish that i would have thought about that.  I have been so pissed off at this for the last couple of weeks that i have not even touched that car.  Thanks alot!  I will pull it all out tomorrow.

Hehehe...have you tried to remove the starter yet..... lol2.gif
Don't ask.... chairfall.gif

I just replaced the starter before i installed the Engine. So i havent had the Pleasure of doing it with it installed on the car. Is the Pain trying to hold the bolt with a wrench on the engine side of the bellhousing while trying to losen it up on the starter at the same time?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bullet @ May 26 2004, 12:21 PM)
Is the Pain trying to hold the bolt with a wrench on the engine side of the bellhousing while trying to losen it up on the starter at the same time?

if that was how it worked, it would be too easy. wink.gif

the bolt is "supposed" to have a flat spot on the head that keeps it from turning (on the starter side) so that you can just unbolt the nut from the engine comp side.

thing is, most of them are round by now.
try to get you hand in there to hold the bolt (on the starter side) while turning a wrench in the engine comp.

<_< Andy
Eric_Shea
Woa... the studs are "not" tack welded to the pan. Unless you mean the small pedal assembly pan. They're not studs either. They're actual bolts that "are" welded to the pedal assembly pan, hence you saw "heads" and you were trying to turn them. They effectively act as studs though.

Andy is correct. You simply need to go under the car and remove the two 13mm nuts holding these bolts/studs in. They don't need to be chiseled out unless you want a boat load of extra work that is totally unnecessary. If your car has a suspension cover those two nuts should come off fine. Use penetrating oil and a MAP torch but by all means don't chisel off the bolts.

Let me know if you want detailed pictures. I have a completed pedal assembly out of the car so you can see the layout.
Eric_Shea
Had the camera out so I took some pics... the nuts hold the master cylinder on as well.
Eric_Shea
Here's the inside view showing the welds on the bolts...
Eric_Shea
The pictures may seem unclear because the body is actually sandwiched between the master cylinder and the pedal assembly. Hope that helps.
Trekkor
Those aren't the bolts in question. It's the welded from under the car studs that hold the ped assym down to the floor behind the gas pedal. The ped assym attaches in two places, through the front bulkhead and m/c and over the floor pan studs.

agree.gif chiseling off the master/cylider bolts would be a HUGE mistake.
Bullet
I got the pedals out today. OMG there were a ton of spiders on the nuts by the M/C. OHH yeah I HATE SPIDERS!!. I removed all the pedals today and cleaned them up with a wire wheel and brush. removed all the Nylon bushings, and am ready to put it all back together. I was trying to decide whether it was worth the $$ to get the goods powdercoated or if i should just repaint it. Powder coat would look good, but then who is ever going to see this.
Levi
QUOTE(Bullet @ May 26 2004, 06:25 PM)
I was trying to decide whether it was worth the $$ to get the goods powdercoated or if i should just repaint it. Powder coat would look good, but then who is ever going to see this.

Good thinking..save your money for other good stuff.
beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
I was able to remove the 2 nuts towards the drivers seat. But the 2 against the bulk head i cant get a soket on them. I crawled way up under there to take a closer look and see what looks like welds on the bold heads.

Those aren't the bolts in question.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
I was trying to decide whether it was worth the $$ to get the goods powdercoated or if i should just repaint it. Powder coat would look good, but then who is ever going to see this.

I used POR15 on mine. Get a can of the stuff for around $25 bucks you'll never regret it.
Trekkor
Quote trekkor: " those aren't the bolts in question"

ehhhh unsure.gif

Quote Homer Simpson: " Doughe!!"

Whoopsie doodlie didlie rocking nana.gif

I guess I should read carefully, before I wright..right..rite...WRITE...arghh! wacko.gif
Bullet
I used my sand blaster to get most of the rust off. then I used a few applications of Naval jelly. and then coated it with a rust eater compound that eats what is left of the rust then seals before i paint it. I put the old bushings back in just to test my gas pedal effort and now it moves perfectly, unlike before when it would go down and never return back. hopfully when i put the cluster back in the car i will finally be able to drive it for the first time. But knowing my luck i will run in to something else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.