Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone sticking with Tail Shift for their 72
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silver72
Wondering if most folks are going to side shift for their early 914?
raw1298
I switched to the sideshift on my 72. There was no motor or tranny when I got it so it was easy.
ptravnic
I'm sticking w/my tailshift. If/when I need to rebuild I'll probably do the switch at that time. Making the change over from tail to side is more than just swapping the tranny. There's engine crossbar, mounts, linkage, bushings, etc.

That's my $0.02

914itis
I did my 70 . And yes it is more than swapping the trany. Nice noticeable difference. Would I do it again? Hmmmm I don't know.
Silver72
Got it. I am sticking with the tail shift. I want to keep the car factory.

Thanks all.
914Sixer
Redo all your bushings and that will make a BIG difference. Check the welds on the shift rod. Replace bushing under shifter too.
rhcb914
Even with totally redone bushings the early tail shift is like stirring a pot of jello. Swapping to side shift was the second major project I did on my 1970 about 8 years ago.

Luckily when I junked my first 914, a 73, I kept the tranny and shift linkage. The side shift makes a world of difference. It still doesn't shift like a Miata but at least I don't have to wonder what gear I am going into! biggrin.gif
jeffdon
Keeping mine for the time being. Something perverse in me rather likes it. Its part of the character of the car.

That being said, sometimes, when I pull the car out early on a sunny morning, top down, idling at my first stop sign, the poppata-poppata sound the cam has the car making has me feeling like i am taxing down the flight line in a sopwith camel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.